Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've been keeping an eye on white goods electrical appliances prices for a refurbishment. Curry's have just increased the prices of a whole raft of their washing machines, dryers and other electrical appliances by 12 - 18% overnight. I've also noticed some prices increases with DID. Price inflation is starting to spread beyond food and energy. Buckle up!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No civil servant gets travel expenses for travel to their normal place of work.

Excellent recommendations towards a sustainable taxation system and a reduction in carbon emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Our current tax system is too much . Cut the spend Paschal too much waste going on in this country. We should not be paying an extra cent in any tax until our spend is sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

both the private and public sectors cutting at the same time is extremely detrimental to an economy and society, the only way through supply side inflation is a rise in public borrowing and spending....

• Advertisement

Cant see it happening we are already over leveraged 240 Billion in debt and that is getting more expensive to service each and every day. Already the last round of borrowing was 7 times more expensive (a couple of weeks back) than in February this year. So when debt is rolled over we are going to see the specter of our current debt hang around our necks like an albatross. If we were debt free yeah definitely more borrowing, but as I pointed out that any new borrowings will start to eat away at our yearly finances.

Diesel tax will not cut carbon as much as petrol tax. That is the reason we were all forced towards diesel, in the first place. It will cut NOx and particulate.

It's one of those I do have issue with. The greens (and FF) changed the motor tax rules to force an uptake in diesel, based on very shakey reasoning. Now that this reasoning has been laid bare they want to smack everyone, again, for following their lead.

It's always stick, with these lads, and never carrot. Our public transport network is, still, woefully inadequate (20 years of talking about it has delivered tiny improvements). Our car market is broken (along witht he rest of the world awaiting raw materials), while people can no longer import cheaper electric vehicles from the only other right hand drive market because of Brexit.

People are, again, being forced to move further and further out of population centres (where the public transport really falls off a cliff) because of our governments continued inaction around re-enacting an inhouse social housing build programme.

I disagree. I got some very generous grants to upgrade my home insulation, install solar panels and upgrade other aspects. That certainly wasn't a carrot. Yes, if you are looking for free stuff, then you can complain, but if you are willing to go halfway and make some contribution, there are plenty of carrots available, be that grants for electric cars in the past, free installation of chargers etc.

Both carrot and stick need to be employed. I heard a business owner on the radio complaining about his electricity bill before he admitted he hadn't converted to low-energy bulbs because he didn't believe they were worth the investment. He didn't get the irony.

Grants only help people who have disposable income. Got the solar grant myself.

Putting a duty on Diesel, after making policy forcing people to diesel, is a horrid tactic. Hundreds of thousands of people are car dependant because of underfunded public transport and government policy forcing them into a commuter belt un-serviced by any joined up infrastructure.

These people are to the pin of their collars with price increases already and can not afford a new car

Build the bloody Public Transport infrastructure and then impliment penalties for not using it. Don't hammer people who, through your actions, have no alternative...

are you for real as soon as the grants amount was brought into the equation the people doing the work upped their prices to match so the person getting the grant was paying as much.

• Advertisement

100%

I’m my dealings with builders either they couldn’t be arsed conforming to the requirements so I could get a grant OR they greatly enhanced the quotes based on me applying for the grants -

Science changes, policy changes.

There were grants for more efficient boilers until recently, they are gone now, as the technology for heat pumps gets better and they will replace them.

Hundreds of thousands of people car dependant because they chose to live in rural areas that are not conducive to public transport.

How entitled can you be?

Choose to live rurally? An entire generation has been forced into rural villages and towns because of government housing policy.

Christ, €320k is an average hoome price in Dublin, and they are being snapped up.

Science did not change. They were told that diesel produces NOx and particulate, they ignored it in favour of C02 emission reduction.

Now they did a U-turn on that and NOx is the big bad, let's hammer the people least able to afford to electrify after they made those very people move to diesel.

You miss the point the policy should not be changed until a viable alternative is given. This has been an issue with governments for the last number of decades. They try to cram changes down our throats without proper thought or an analysis on any unintended consequences. So will you say "Science changes, policy changes", if their policy leads to rolling blackouts this winter.? I don't remember any government party getting a majority of votes on the basis of over taxing diesel (so I don't see how they have remit to do this) and this after almost a decade of governments telling people to go and use diesel instead of petrol cars as it was better for the environment? You have to remember the amount of tax we pay in this country should be more than enough for decent public transport as soon as you go outside of the big four areas (Dublin, Galway, Cork and Limerick) there is a shocking lack of public transport and road infrastructure. I have no bother paying carbon tax when the alternative is there as in the electric vehicles and the charge points and public transport is up to code and can be used by the majority of the population. We are at least 5 years away from that choice but once again they put the gun to the head to people who have no other choice. Also how long have people been living in rural areas as far as I am aware people have been living in rural areas a lot longer than the production of diesel, heat pumps or any other item you mention, ergo there should be more thought put into policy decisions that affect these people. The other point is we are emitting about 0.1% emissions of the global emissions we are fairly small bananas globally, China = 30%, US 15%. The powers that be are punishing people by taxing more (remember this money is not put by it just goes into the pool of monies in the exchequer its not put aside for making the country greener) because they have a diesel car and no other option to get around. Its actually quite sickening to see at a time when every price is going through the roof.

You will never have decent public transport living outside a main town or city, just won't happen. Fuel prices are going to go up over the next few decades, that has been clear for well over a decade too. Anyone who bought a house outside a city or large town since 2005 wasn't listening to the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That absolute EU cretin Von der leyen now transferring the covid insanity over to the self created energy one-“flatten the curve” apparently to tackle energy demand.

Science hasn't changed so much that a heat pump now works in anything below an A rated house. When it came to COVID (masks don't work, now they do) and now climate science the science changes to whatever the government wants.

They will do the same about face with heat pumps. Hydrogen or something else that works with small modification to existing gas boilers will be the future. Retrofitting our housing stock to the required level to make heat pumps viable is completely impractical.

All those that spent a fortune putting them in to see massively increased bills will end up ripping them out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

My parents were looking to upgrade from a solid fuel fired central heating system 3 years ago. Mid 80s bungalow. Basic cavity wall and roof insulation and 15 year old double glazing. I researched the options for them and they ended up going with a gas tank and very efficient boiler. Bio gas can be purchased at a slightly higher price than regular gas if one wants to be more environmentally conscious. We looked into an air to water heat pump also and I did a cost/benefit analysis. For it to make any financial sense the insulation in the house would need upgrading plus druaghtproofing. Even with grants the payback period was looking at approx. 20 years. During which period the air to water heat pump would likely need replacing at a far higher cost than a new gas boiler.

The biggest issue however is that not all people have the capital available to them for the initial investment. My parents didn't have the €30k to go down the heat pump and insulation route. They did however have the €7-8k it cost to get a gas tank, boiler, new rads and replace the open fire in the sitting room with an insert stove.

This is the issue with the current government policies. People can't afford the up front costs of energy systems upgrades. They can't stump up the cash up front. If the Greens were serious older houses would be retrofitted using a near zero % interest goverment loan system. Government pays for all the work up front and householders pay back a percentage of the total in instalments.

BTW I live in a house with an air to water system. A3 rated and was designed for one. It's a great job. They have their place in new builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Was house hunting all through COVID and the period leading up to it. Looked for housing in urban areas near Cork City and couldn't afford it. Bought 20mins out from the city in a decent sized a village that has a bus to the city 3 times a day. Happy here but to say people are choosing to live rurally where they are repaint on cars is very ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wrong: Parliamentary Standard Allowance – Houses of the Oireachtas

That is travel to work for top civil servants.

Now, to go back to my original point: A public servant employee who uses their car can get up to 60c per km for going from office to office (not home to office) which is 4X the allowance given to low paid workers factoring in travel expenses as part of their medical card application. It's not fair that one worker's travel is valued at 60c per km, another worker's travel is valued at 15c per km (applying for a Medical Card).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

If they are saying we are coming out the other side, expect complete opposite is going to happen.

There is some sort of a hype amongst our glorious leaders, they cant stop talking how they do have plan in this budget to help households and businesses. Only that printing ton of fresh money and handing them over is actually going to make it all worse since more money will be competing for less products and services. That situation has a name. It is called inflation and our experts (on national and EU level) are so hyped up with this idea of free money they will make sure it will end up a notch higher. Think hyperinflation.

TDs are not public servants.

Oc for going to work for public servants 15c for medical card applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ara listen to you.

You do appreciate that hundreds of thousands of people cannot live in cities anyway, even if they wanted to, for numerous reasons.

The reality, right now, is you are not going to move hundreds and thousands of people from rural areas into cities in the next few months so that they can use public transport. Something needs to be done to support these people who are reliant on cars/fuel etc.

The reality also is that people who live in rural areas are going to have a much higher cost of living than those who live in cities for the next 50 years.

But why are the government looking to jump on the bandwagon and puting an extra tax on top for people who have no other choice. I mean its clear we over tax our citizens when does the high rate of tax kick in??? So the greens have been saying it since 2005 ok well then the question has to be asked, why has there been such a delay nearly 20 years in finding a replacement for these people? Where are the electric cars and charge points, where is the public transport outside the big 4? Your saying now they bought there and should have understood that there would never be decent transport just wont happen? Why? So what is your solution and remember you have to realise we also have a housing crisis ? Not only is their currently not enough houses for people to buy but housing to rent is also at an all time low. So is your idea and the greens idea to tell these people stop living in their house outside the big cities and pitch a tent big city or pay more for a commodity we asked you to move to for the guts of a decade? As there is no where near enough housing to house them all within these big cities. The government have phucked it all up and instead of trying to tackle the issue they are simply going to tax a commodity more, that a high % of the general public have been told to move to over the last decade and even this money will not be used to help find a solution. The country is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

The Greens want me to walk/cycle to work ,get an electric car, retrofit my home and grow vegetables on my windowsills

I can do one of the above ! I can just about afford a packet of seeds at the end of the week

My commute is 40/45 car journey so walk/cycle not an option, and no public transport, Cannot afford electric car

They will give me a grant for retrofit, but I cannot afford the balance or a loan .

Sure the companies doing the retrofit up the price by the cost of the grant this has been the case for the majority of people getting a quote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The Green's don't give a hoot about you that's the bottom line. They want every single working and middle class person in the state to go into huge debt so we can "save the planet". It's utter horsesh1t. People i know who are going to loan sharks to pay for their kids return to school essentials don't and will never be able to afford a 50k electric car or 100k to retrofit their house. The Greens are complete idiots.

Advertisement