Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I hear you!! I

climb VERY slowly (I'm 90+ kg) so the flies flock at certain points(the horse riding school on gunny hill, for instance) it is phenomenally annoying, but it makes the descent all the more worthwhile.

I went up ballinascorney and over by the army camp at Kippure yesterday, my legs had nothing, I was travelling between 4 and 14 kph on the hills, and every b@stard fly hitched a ride with me, I must have gained an extra kilo lol.

Very warm day, but I just love getting out.

the reason the legs had nothing because of this one

https://www.strava.com/activities/7686367073

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Sounds like a good day out, would you have done many stops in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Not bad for a big fella!

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/2JoVY1XPSsb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

Was that aimed at me?

I stopped for a coffee and scone, and separately a sandwich and a coke water etc

Total time was 8.32 moving time 7.46 AVE speed 28.2kph

It was enjoyable definitely

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the Reservoir Dogs Sportive again yesterday. It was a great day out.

The biblical rain on Saturday night woke me around 4am and I didn't really sleep after that so I was tired before I even left home. Seven other clubmates turned up but one had to leave due to a mechanical (somehow forgot a skewer after packing the bike into his car). At the top of Ballinascorney, we had agreed that we'd wait for the few clubmates behind but three went on anyhow. Met @Mercian Pro while I was waiting (nice to meet you!). Anyhow, the four of us remaining headed on down Ballinascorney and on towards the Wall.

I had to stop as I headed up the Wall as I could feel my heart rate getting too much for me. A minute later, I went on. Despite my stop, I was still ahead of my three mates. Another wait for them at the top of Cunard and on we went to Sallygap. By then, one of the lads had nothing in his legs and it wasn't long after the stop that he decided to take the sensible option and head for home.

When we got to Roundwood, the three of us had grouped up with about four others and travelled along in single file towards Laragh. I seemed to lead for much of this. We managed a decent pace along this stretch and although Strava is telling me 35.5, I had been thinking we had an average of about 40km/h. Still 35 into a headwind isn't too bad given my tired legs. What I hadn't noticed until we got to Laragh was that my two remaining clubmates had dropped off somewhere along the way. they arrived in laragh a short time later.

Lunch was great. Being a non-butter eater, one of the ladies serving coffee offered (without me saying anything) to make me a ham & cheese sandwich without butter (on lovely soft bread!).

When I stepped out of the centre in Laragh, there were a few drops of rain but thankfully, it quickly stopped. Onwards we went amongst promises of sticking together.

Same as last year, I found the second half of the day fairly handy (if that's the word). I found that my two clubmates were going much slower that I could stay with and motored on ahead. I had been thinking that I'd pull in somewhere and wait but never did. The only time I stopped was just after I passed a group from Sandymount so that I could put my gilet back on. Seconds later, I was having to pass them again. I felt that I was flying along and whilst I passed a good few people, nobody was passing me. She must have put something into that sandwich! (obviously it was mostly the tailwind carrying me along!)

A quick stop at the second water stop to top up my water and take a leak and onwards I went.

At the finish line, I met my three other clubmates that dissapeared at Ballinascorney. Chatted briefly with them and they went home while I went for my burger. Eventually one of the others behind me arrived as I was leaving.

By the time I got home, I had eaten a few Cadbury's Boost bars, two cans of Pepsi and a few sweets, muffins and whatever else - I was sick of sugary crap. I tend not to eat that stuff and always seem to regret it after. Still I'm sure it (and the numerous bananas) helped me diring the day.

Despite the midweek forecasts of loads of rain and 40km/h winds, the weather was great. Not too hot or cold. I only noticed last night that the tan lines on my arms have freshened up again.

A great day out even if I spent most of it solo. Great organisation yet again from Blessington CC.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7753776537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I'd say the boot was full with those Strava trophies Seth, kudos!!

I knew the weather forecast was a bit hit and miss today and after 60km without any rain my luck ran out descending from Garristown towards the N2, it can be a fast enough run down and I cycled right into a huge shower, so much water came down so quickly the road disappeared under a torrent of water. Lucky I knew the surface but visibility was pretty blurry for most of it. Got down safe and decided better to limp home wet and warm)ish) rather than stop and wait for the rain to pass. Wasn't really that cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah I've gone Garristown to N2 in a thunder shower before.

It's poorly drained I reckon, streams across the road on a couple of the descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Nice meeting up with you too Seth Brundle. Was talking to Darokstar before the start and that was the last I saw of him as he was in flying form. I mainly did the Dog in the company of one other clubmate although we hitched a lift from a Balrothery group between Roundwood and Laragh. Because of all the ups and downs, very few groups seemed to form or stay together unlike flatter sportives. A great event and a testing course really well managed by the Reservoir Cogs. Nice to chat again with the main man, Corker1, before and after the ride. Here's to next year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean the road which drops down past the industrial estate in ashbourne, or the one which brings you out just south of the snailbox?

• Advertisement

Just south of the Snailbox, its very poorly drained to be sure, at the dip it was like cycling into a lake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheers, handy to know as I find myself on that road on occasion.

The tiny road opposite it up to the snailbox is always covered in shite in winter.

The farmer must let the whole yard flow out on public road and across into his fields

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

6 different ascents to Howth summit car park for me today. I'd originally planned on heading towards the mountains for twice the distance & elevation but work pressure meant I didn't have enough time, so will most likely do it all again up Howth tomorrow! My last hurrah for Mallorca in 2 weeks time.

57km & 1,038m elevation.

i'd never actually taken the road down to the baily lighthouse, that you took; i wouldn't have copped where the turnoff was (i note it's marked on the pillar as a private road)

I knew it from hiking around the area and when I came across a description for the 12 summits of Howth discovered it as a supposedly additional route to the summit. Nice steep section, especially when it's several summits in!

It's a private road for motor traffic but the small gate is always open. I assume it's a right of way as it brings you down to the cliff walk.

If I have the heart/legs tomorrow I'll do the other 6 routes...

Did the other 6 routes to the top of Howth today. Definitely felt yesterday's efforts at times but overall wasn't too bad. 57km & 1,037m of elevation.

Surprisingly I wasn't as bored as I'd expected either day given it is basically just multiple variations of the same ascent. So now I'm thinking I'll take a run at the 12 summits before too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Stopped wimping out this afternoon. Two lessons learned today;

a) tubeless sealant worked to repair punctures

2) don't go cycling without a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

spun over from maynooth to a friends house in santry yesterday, greenway to drumcondra. took the hardtail and set a fairly good pace. routing around some of the new bits around ashtown/pelletstown proved tricky, ended up taking a few flights of steps, to the amusement of the folks drinking cans 😀

return today with a major hangover and not much sleep, wussed out and got on the train at drumcondra. was already wet from the first bit of the spin, got annoyed with the drunks on the train and having to stand with the bike so got off at castleknock. deep sinking was seriously sketchy so took it steady. rest was continuous puddles but kept speed up where I could.

almost hit my old 150km target for the week..

Haven't posted in a while, but managed to negotiate the return of a weekend long spin after being restricted to mostly late evening spins over the summer.

The conditions were: no Strava after the ride until kids are in bed, no sitting around like a hollowed out cabbage (her words) for the day after my spin, and to be back within three hours.

Managed the first two but got two punctures and was home 15 minutes late with just 70k in the bag. Both puncture repairs involved a 15 minute arm wrestle (cold, unsupple tyre and cold hands) with a new GP 5000.

Got there in the end but could have done with an extra pair of hands from one of the two groups that passed to get it on. Nobody as much as asked if I needed a hand which I found strange as I never pass a cyclist with a mechanical without asking.

After a cold start, it was a beautiful morning but the two punctures took a bit of the enjoyment out of the spin. My third in two weeks after a year without one.

All in, 70km with nearly 700m climbing at 30kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Did the Gravel Grind West 110km event. Great day on bike, smallish numbers, about 150 entered I think. Wild Nephin National Park is an amazing place.

Averaged 24km/hr with 1150m climbing. Mixture of surfaces from greenway, road, sandy surfaces and stoney bits where need to be careful to avoid the bigger ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got there in the end but could have done with an extra pair of hands from one of the two groups that passed to get it on. Nobody as much as asked if I needed a hand which I found strange as I never pass a cyclist with a mechanical without asking.

That's really weird, I find most cyclists stop and always do myself. Got a dig out last week with the lend of a spare tyre lever in a similar situation and stopped yesterday to a lad pushing his bike down Cruagh.

First weekend spin in a while myself here too, Ballyboden to Laragh via Sally gap and back the same route for 80k with 1200 of climbing. Felt knackered first time over the gap but actually fine the second time and really enjoyed the Laragh - gap climb. Beautiful day out, headed out about noon, more motorbikes and cars than cyclists though still plenty out. Some big organised walk around Glencree made the Featherbeds a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The climb from Laragh to Glenmacnass is probably my favourite (reachable from dublin) road to cycle. I came up it yesterday for the first time in ages, it feels almost alpine. The road up to the Liam Horner memorial from Crone woods is a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

aaahhh my derailleur came off... to be fair the bike in question has seen better days! Managed a spot of DIY and got home in first gear. Been a while since I had a go slow on the bike day.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

First club Sunday cycle I went on since May. Alarm went off & I considered going back to sleep. Obviously was happy that I didn't. It won't be long until the mornings are cold and wet....

88km, 3 hours 9 mins, 27.9 kmph.

Found it strange myself, but was passed by a lad while fixing a puncture last week on a very quiet road and he just ploughed on too. Was on a TT bike and had a tri suit on so didn't expect much more 😀

Yesterday was odd, a large group and and two lads together. Barely looked at me. I have also noticed that fewer cyclists say hello these days too. Most of these would be relatively inexperienced based on the gear, speed etc so maybe they just don't know the unwritten rules. Would have thought it was common courtesy in both cases though.

I had to go past a fells in Mornington yesterday. He was getting rear wheel off.

Had 5 mins to get home and onto a zoom meeting within a few minutes.

Shouted an apology, felt bad. I do always say hello to people including must runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Just back from a week in Spain. Valencia to Malaga along the coast so approx 720km in 5 full and 2 half days cycling so average about 120km per day. Flat at the start, hilly in the middle and lumpy for last couple of days. Stopover towns this time were Oliva, Santa Pola, Puerto de Mazarron, Carboneras, El Ejido, Nerja and Malaga.

Hotels were from 21 euro to 50 (Malaga ) per night each, probably average about 30. Still very inexpensive for food and drink in rural Spain. Mostly on the N332 and N340 which are quiet and well surfaced for the vast majority of their length.

Brought our own bikes both ways with Ryanair. No check in queues or any other hassle at either Dublin or Malaga. Weather was slightly too hot (33/34) at the start but ended up late 20s at the end which was perfect.

Heading back end of October to do Barcelona to Malaga so slightly longer trip over 10 days and while much of the route is the same we will try and stay in different towns.

tough slog on the bike today. a stiff north easterly which i got the brunt and never the benefit of, and first time spinning up the winter bike in about six months. the beer and whiskey last night didn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

Usual enough Sat cycle for me, Cromwellstown, Ballinascorney (top bit ), Saggart hill, Athgoe, Stacumey lane.

on checking strava for times etc noticed that Nicolas Roche was about, almost matched his time on B'scorney 😆 (he was prob taking a rest after the first part )

cool enough but stayed dry despite some big black clouds

Advertisement