Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

Please - i beg you

Copy and paste my 'veiled insult' - id like to see where, without realizing it, or intending to - i insulted you - i have repeatedly tried to actually talk about this, only to receive obvious bad faith responses, but do enlighten me!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's been going for quite a long while on IMDB and there seem to be concerted efforts by fanbois to counter sometimes quite valid criticisms of a film or a show. Usually an indication of that is multiple 10 scores blocking together over a few pages to combat lower scores. IMDB is almost a type of social media at times these days! That's not to say you still can't get reasoned reviews of stuff. Never really seen this claim about it but not a good one for Amazon. Word of mouth elsewhere may well decide on its fate. Definitely not a GOT level of excitement about this show.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jaysus, we’ve reached the Hitchens quotes.

Is that last part sarcasm? It’s pretty obtuse.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well asking for evidence was genuine @Brian? - You have stated something fairly serious. Im just asking for evidence to support the claim - pretty basic stuff. Iv heard a lot of people attack Drinker et al - especially on Youtube - And they make claims similar to yours - and when they are asked to copy/clip/provide-verifiable-evidence, in support of these claims - they cant, and invariably leave.

You stated something - quote I've heard him express many misogynistic and toxic viewpoints

You use the word 'many' - which would indicate how easy it must be to find examples of Toxic, and Misogynistic comments! He behaved this way 'many' times - How do we know this - well, because you have said so.

I replied in a respectful way - asking for evidence - which you have, as of yet, not provided - Therefore, I believe Hitchens Razor is quite appropriate - If we have reached the Hitchens quotes, then you have lead us there. Or you could provide genuine, verifiable, clear cut evidence of Drinker being Toxic or Misogynistic!

Oh and here is the man himself talking about RINGS OF POWER - for all those interested, he gives it 4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think the critical drinker is an odd one. He will publish multiple videos criticizing the show/movie based on its trailers like the Power of the Rings, Prey and She-hulk but then may change his opinion later (he actually liked Prey but didn't acknowledge that he totally roasted it previously based on the trailer). He did once publish a video criticizing Brie Larsons personal youtube channel which kind of sums up youtube reviewers vs mainstream movie critics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Is it 5 days since the 72 hour ban was implemented on Amazon prime video?

on another note, the two hobbits looking after the tall fella - are they going to be female Sam and Frodo? The resemblance seems to be there. I was thinking it may have been just the one hobbit sorry … erm … harfoot since they mentioned how they always stick together.

The one on the right is the skull off Frodo in some scenes. She is also curious and yearns for more like Frodo.

The one the left is cautious and afraid of getting in trouble which is bang on with early Sam wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,330 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Hobbit movies are pretty terrible all round. They're a prime example of a studio trying to squeeze the glory of a previous set of films and make another set purely for the money. But they fail miserably. 'The Hobbit' should really have been a 2 and a half hour movie, which would have been long enough to include the best parts of the book, but not too long where it all becomes tedious.

There's a single 3 hour version of the three films floating around the web that's not too bad. But there were too many non-essential characters stuffed into the unnecessary trilogy and they had too big an impact on the movie's story to be excised, so they end up in the 3 hour cut too unfortunately.

I think even Jackson may feel that he was pushed into making a trilogy rather than a single movie and probably regrets it now as well. It's a shame because a single hobbit might have been great. There's some good casting there (and some bad). Thought Freeman was a good Bilbo.

Freeman was born to play Bilbo for sure.

I would agree with what you have said there. They do give us more content that we didn’t really need, but at the same time wasnt terrible.

What ever story the Hobbits Harfoots take part in, is entirely invented for the show. They are unmentioned in any of Tolkiens writings on the second age. I think he may state they exist, but played no role in events. The reason for the name being Harfoot is entirely a rights issue of course

TBH their inclusion is fine with me. I understand it is for the casual fans of the films, and if done properly it could be enjoyable.

That said, their ACCENTS - UGH - cringe - from the IT - "Rings of Power: The new hobbits are filthy, hungry simpletons with stage-Irish accents. That’s $1bn well spent"

He's mainly just a whiney bitch, who does his bitching to an audience willing to tip him so they can salve their own opinions on something. In fairness, he can be often correct about the current state of film making in some of the points he makes, but nonetheless he's still only gigging a particular take on modern movies to make a buck off of those who only want to hear their own preconceived opinions reflected back at themselves.

• Advertisement

The one on the right, whoever she is, is the spitting image of the kid who played young William Wallace in 'Braveheart'.

No, it wasn't absolutely abysmal. Just like 'Rings of Power' isn't absolutely abysmal either. Well, so far anyway. There's plenty of time for it to end up as complete junk.

But there's some good scenes in 'The Hobbit', such as the beginning, "Riddles in the Dark", and Bilbo's encounter with Smaug. But they were sandwiched between too much boring filler. In fact I rather like the first movie in its entirety, but as a whole the trilogy is a dud. The final movie being particularly boring to watch and I never liked the casting for the dwarves.

One thing they nailed was the tone colors and ambience of the world.

the scene with the trolls, anything with the dwarves as a collective, the shire and anytime “erebor” was mentioned was brilliant.

Say “erebor”

look away

play the music

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whatever about the discussion of valid reviews being hidden the drinkers fanboys are as cringe as ever defending their lord and saviour. His popularity is bizarre.

Hes playing a blinder. An AI could auto-script his videos pretty accurately as he only has a few phrases that get his fans hooting and hollering.

He probably doesnt even watch some but just knows what his base wants so fires away with his view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Could the man who crashed down from space be Gandalf or was he not around at that time as per the books?

Just to be absolutely clear - I am totally fine with people not liking Drinker. My partner is not a fan. And some of my friends feel the same - He is not for everyone. Just say, as you did, - i dont like him i find him cringe - i hate his content -

Fine! I dont agree, i am a fan, and i agree with his points. I find him more entertaining than most Marvel shows since endgame. but we are adults and we can agree to disagree

My biggest issue is when people state:

'I dont like Critical Drinker .. because he is

• Racist
    • homophobic
    • transphobic
    • an incel
    • Xenophobic
    • Misogynistic
    • insert more bigotry's

Its happened several times already here, and happens quite a lot elsewhere too - And i feel its ridiculous -

And then, when asked - 'Can you actually provide evidence to support this claim' - What then happens is rather hilarious. The poster usually restates the above but emphasizing the words.. and tells me, and other fans - 'Oh its in all his videos.. my god he is so toxic, just look at any of his videos'

And this is followed by fans asking - 'Ok but, you are telling us YOU HAVE SPOTTED THIS - in MANY OF HIS VIDEOS' - ok SHOW US - Demonstrate that you are correct'

And..... thats when they vanish - sometimes with a final comment, along the lines of, i dont have time to be dealing with you incels, go look for yourself... etc etc yada yada yada

But anyway - You dont like him - you are not alone here, seemingly many cant stand the guy - totally fine -

If on the other hand you are going to state something as a fact - THIS CONTENT PRODUCER IS A RACIST PERSON (for example) - Please for the love of sanity - be able to prove it - if its as OBVIOUS as you make out - this should be very simple

Of course its impossible - because he is NONE of the above - its just that certain people feel the need to smear those they disagree with now. And what better ****in way to smear someone than to accuse him of being a bigot -

And its the exact same crap that is thrown at all fans who are critical of a production like LOTR - we are bigots - very sad

The world really has changed

He is not around in the books/lore

But then they clearly have ZERO interest in following books so - best guess is its Gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

From what I gather, it doesn't matter much what was in the books, the series is going its own way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

I’m going with Sauron anyway so far.

the fire the big killing etc is what I’m basing that off. But I’m sure Amazon will put a big Gotcha in there for us.

• Advertisement

I dont think it can be Sauron

• Sauron should be ON MIDDLE EARTH at this stage - he never left after Morgoths defeat. I find the meteor IMPLIES the character is incoming to Middle Earth from Valar - or perhaps from Ea (described as the universe but basically heaven) - so i think we can rule Sauron out, as the show SEEMS to have stuck to the idea that he is on Middle Earth - somewhere

I think its a Wizard - which is Lore Breaking - if its Gandalf, it would be doubly Lore breaking as he came with Four Companion Wizards - so he would not have been alone

My HOPE is that its just an original character wizard for the Second Age - i dont want them to Touch/Tarnish Gandalf

But hey, thats just me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He could be, but per the books he can’t be. Gandalf arrived much later and by boat. That’s 100% clear in the books.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Episode 2 wowsers massive improvement over episode 1.

I have watched the season preview it does look epic!

The section with the Orc? In the cabin was terrific.

The part with the storm on the raft was absolutely stunning as well!

I am guessing the guy on the raft might turn out to be Sauron or linked to him going by his pendant. Money on the screen most definitely.

The Hobbits (or whatever their name are in this) are still probably the weakest storyline for me but I am guessing they will be central to the story going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

I'm liking it and the season preview after ep 2 actually looks brill. It's a tv show, either watch it or turn it off.

Just consume the content they are making for us right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Where's the fun in that? I can't properly bitch about something and pick it apart if I'm not informed.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I'm talking about LOTR here, so can't comment

I will say although Prey was a lot better than I thought - but it was a bit ridiculous to think a 20 year old 5ft 4 50KG woman could beat a Predator in the 1700s when 280 years later a whole crack team of top military guys could not ??

I think that's what people were pissed off about.

• Advertisement

Lets not even mention the gun - the gun that was handed to Harrigan in Predator 2, some how ends up in the possession of an Indian girl, right after she kills a predator - basically they are 'keeping their options open for a sequel'

It wasnt a bad movie, i kinda liked it - but certainly not as good as some critics are saying

Advertisement