Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of changing downlights to LED

Options
  • 06-09-2022 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

Our apartment built in 2007 has 28 downlights throughout, many of which are not working. I'm hoping to change them all to LED, just have no idea of what the cost might be, would anyone have any idea?

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭shane b

you need to give us a bit more information first.

Do you know if the downlighters are low voltage (12 volt) or mains voltage (240 volt)?

Are any them on dimmer switches and if they are, do you want that functionality afterwards?

12 volt down lighters have a transformer for each bulb which may need to be removed or changed to be compatible with leds. Also LED bulbs come in dimmable or non-dimmable versions so the cost will depend on what your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

In a similar boat to the OP.

Central dimmer controller for all 9 lights, outputting 220V. The remaining 7 bulbs are just on/off at the switch.

Each downlight has a stepdown transformer for 220 to 12V, with a gu5.3 fitting.

220V GU10 looks to be much more common now, especially for dimmable versions.

Is it just a case of removing the transformer, changing to a GU10 socket, and buying GU10 bulbs? Anything basic I'm missing?

Should see savings within 2 months, if not less in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭shane b

I dont know anyone who has done this so cant say for definite but the housing in the ceiling may need to be changed as well as the GU10 are a different shape.

As for the lights on dimmers you will need to buy a led compatible dimmer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

you will need to buy a led compatible dimmer switch

Thanks, I thought there might have been something I was forgetting alright. The dimmer controller is from 2006 or so, and has digital keys to go between one of four presets. Hilariously over-engineered compared to what's available now. I'll check out the model number and see if it'll work. Thanks!

Advertisement