Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless refugees in Dublin - where did they arrive from ?

• 07-09-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the background to this is? Did they arrive from the UK? Did they arrive via Northern Ireland ? did they land in Dublin airport from a non-safe or non EU country ?

No media is reporting if they arrived via a legal asylum route.

Seems 27 young men are sleeping rough in Dublin city as there is no rooms for them. I would like to knoe if they made their way from the Kent beaches.

RTE news : Campus 'not able to open' for asylum seekers tonight

http://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0907/1321099-ukraine-refugees-accommodation/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If there's nowhere to put them then the government need to cop on and start sending them back or start capping numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Shauna677

Jesus sleeping out in this weather, surely they could have found some firm of shelter for them, even a disused warehouse, very sad😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

RTE and the Media are as you would expect pushing this bleeding heart narrative Send them back ta f@@ to wherever they’ve arrived from No room in the lrish Inn ,

There are our own homeless to consider first. We are in the midst of a housing crisis with an influx of Ukrainian refugees to house. Then these complete opportunists rock up from god knows where… send them back, problem solved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It’s not just Ukrainians.

Last night 130 men arrived from the Congo and other African countries.

We really have let the genie out of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty of room in the Irish Inn, send them to Leitrim - a week there and they'll be begging to be deported

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Only the beginning. It's actually criminal that we haven't shut the doors to these chancers.

Send them to Montrose and the leafy environs of South Co.Dublin where most of our open door advocates reside. I’d be like to know HOW these 130 men entered the country, was it through N.I? Don’t our ferry ports and airports check anymore? Why aren’t te media asking about this instead of focusing on how they’ve no accommodation (neither have a lot of our own citizens). Enough of this, send them back ASAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Man, this thread REEKS of the “Current Affairs” forum.

Some of you were very quick to make the trek over here. Very quick indeed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Have you ever come through the airport? The lads (no idea what they are? Garda? Immigration) at the booths slouching with one hand on their chin.

Don't even look at your passport just wave you through.

You could have a picture of an Irish passport cover on your phone screen and hold it up and they'd say go on.

It's a joke shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This is the harsh reality. Successive governments have bleated about an open door policy without any planning or infrastructure to actually implement it.

People sleeping rough on the streets of Dublin should suggest that perhaps it's not viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

They are overloading my area of work. I'm seeing a lot of middle eastern people claiming to be Ukrainian, They didn't speak Russian/Ukrainian, and a jump in Somalian people. New people entering our database are mostly Foreign compared to 10 years ago, truly frightening, we are really struggling atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

A solution to what? The amount of ‘patriots’ crawling all over these threads with their US imported culture war shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well tough, sleep outside then. They’ll hardly freeze to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

A most dodgy looking bunch as you'd see.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

We owe them nothing. Prioritise Irish people, send the chancers back.

The “solution” is to move the thread to the CA forum. Do you really, honestly, think this is a thread for AH? Like really?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Any solution to finding accommodation?

Keep beating the drum about CA, yet you still read it and post there. You might be "happier" if you just ignored it.

• Advertisement

Don’t think the solution will be found on boards, whatever forum you’re in. ‘Send dem back’ isn’t really a constructive solution.

I can’t remember the last time I posted in CA, would only “check in” on it the odd time now. Obviously, I’d avoid threads like this.

It seems to disproportionately annoy you, so might be best to avoid the occasional "check in".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is there anything more boring than some threadshitting crank telling everybody else they shouldn't be posting?

Anyway, it is obvious how they get in, just get the ferry into Dublin some time and have a glance at the foot passengers to find your answer.

I get the ferry from Holyhead quite regularly, the only thing ever checked is if I have a booking or not.

As I’ve stated, on a number of occasions, in any of the “feedback” threads on the subject, I have no issue with that, particular, forum.

My issue is with the number of CA threads that turn up in AH. As well as the number of recently banned, or threadbanned, CA users infecting AH with muck like this, as soon as they get into trouble over there.

The CA forum, itself, is a great addition to the site. Does it’s job well, most of the time. Think it could do with a little less moderation but that’s not my “call” to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Neighbour of mine, a Garda, a chronic alcoholic ended up there for the last ten or so years of his career. Ok his problem was brought about by a family tragedy, loosing one of his kids in very tragic circumstances but he was to be seen up there sitting in a glass booth, far away stare and barely looking at a document or face that would appear in front of him… “ come on, come on “… would be the singular utterance… from behind a glazed facade…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

You ended up in the Garda station quite often then, yeah?

Airport, Liv. If I’m not mistaken. Although, I think they opened that job up to non-Garda civilians.

I spent over 20 minutes having to deal with one jobsworth coming back with the family from abroad before. I don’t think a Garda would have “power tripped” like that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes they could find their way back to where they came from. And leave us the fcuk alone

Apologies, E. I misread.

Very convenient that that particular poster was such an acute observer of his neighbour’s negligence at work, especially regarding a topic to close to his own heart.

Very convenient indeed.

• Advertisement

This is immigration in the airport, I ended up there as I worked there, yeah. 😉

You were never compelled to do anything about this neighbour of yours who was letting in possibly hundreds of thousands of unchecked immigrants into the country then, no?

And yet here you are complaining about immigration. Honestly mate it looks to me like you had your chance to make a difference and blew it.

no, I’m sure he has superiors who were tasked with the management and auditing of his day to day performance… I blew it ? Awhhh shucks 🫣😋

RTE this morning once again beating the poor asylum seekers sleeping on the street narrative. No opposing points of view, despite the fact that most people in the country if they were asked would say these weren’t asylum seekers, but 130 fit and healthy economic migrants. Not our duty to house and feed them. Stricter controls required on our ports and airports. RTE and the chattering classes need to cop ta f€€k on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One lad interviewed was from Zimbabwe, claimed he was being persecuted. Easy to state, how do you verify?

Badly need tents set up adjacent to airport, put people in these temporarily and interview them. Anyone not meeting strict criteria with proof should be put on a flight back where they've come from. No appeal.

We also need to start interviewing all Ukrainian claimants and sorting out those who are genuine war refugees and those who could return safely where they come from.

What's going on is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

It's not to do with "checking", anyone can arrive by plane or boat and claim asylum as soon as they arrive (before border security), and are entitled to have their claim considered under international law. In turn this can be either accepted or rejected. In most other country's in Europe this might take a few weeks or months but in Ireland it takes a few years.

• Advertisement

The Ceann Comhairle the other day was arguing for greater variety of representation in the Dáil - more women TDs, more younger TDs and more TDs from immigrant communities, so their needs could be represented and legislated for.

With regard to latter, what we're seeing is the move to transform Irish society & culture towards some mishmash of cultures. Like everything, a little is good but too much is detrimental.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

Didnt Ireland introduce a law a few months ago that they would not accept 'refugees' that arrive from safe countries, suh as UK, Europe, US. How many flights arrive in Ireland directly from African and Asian countries ? Anytime i travel from Dubai for example, they check that every non EU has a visa to land in Ireland, if not, they don't let them board.

These guys came from the UK, either via Holyhead or NI. I think NI, as a few months ago as I travelled Holyhead-Dublin, my passport was checked twice in Dublin. And if I wasnt white irish looking, I,m sure police in Holyhead would have asked for my passport or ID.

Everyday hundreds arrive in Kent illegally and are registered/finger printed by UK officials. They reckon another dozen arrive most days undectected and dissappear in the UK. They have mates or family waiting for them. I would be pretty confident the boys in Dublin were the undectected illegals that came in to the Englisg shores from Calais. Someone told them, go to Ireland, land of the riches for 'refugees' .. and Please Note, I am excluding all Ukrainian and Syrian & middle east people who came via a legal refugee program from that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It was mentioned recently that the threat of sending asylum seekers in the UK to Rwanda is resulting in increased numbers coming here instead.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/social-affairs/2022/06/13/uk-asylum-seekers-to-rwanda-policy-partly-behind-600-hike-in-applications-to-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

There's a whole book of issues.

When asylum seekers fail we don't deport them, if we did we'd clear up a lot of space in DP for asylum seekers and not failed ones who are appealing or overstaying.

When someone arrives at any point of entry they can claim asylum, they are then entitled to get their case heard.

A lot will have "lost" passports and ID's so can claim to come from anywhere and deporting becomes much more difficult when you can't prove where they arrived from.

We announced turn key accommodation after 4 months, sent it around the world in numerous languages and didn't actually have any plan to have this accommodation available and then we started to nationalise those without documents (illegals).

We are going to be in a very difficult situation and continue kicking the can down the road, we should 100% be helping and accepting refugees but we should IMO be limiting asylum seekers, especially from "safe" countries.

Ireland, like the rest of Europe, is now multicultural. I have no problem with those from minority cultures being democratically elected. I would have an issue with quotas being imposed to shoehorn them in however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Often this is done for dramatic effect. Increases their bargaining power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If they arrive without ID, for example a passport, this means they deliberately destroyed the passport, this should mean immediate deportation.

By that I mean within 24 hrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Rise of the far right in Sweden.

Election on Sunday and they are favourites to get a majority.

Here we are sleep walking into the same issue.

Will we ever learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

One of these Asylum seekers (interviewed for comment last night on RTE news) had a strong London accent which may suggest that many of these are coming to Ireland to avail of a more liberal Asylum system. There are no border checks at Belfast Airport for domestic (UK) flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I heard one on the radio talking about going somewhere "in town" ......... surely a Dublin expression? Not one I'd have expected a fella fleeing from persecution in Africa to have picked up. Do they use it in London too? I never heard it there. I would have assumed the fella was already here a long time

For those people giving out about Immigration officers at the airport, there is not much they can do. Once a person presents themselves and says they are claiming international protection, they have to be processed. They cannot summarily dismiss them. It was well known that people would land at the airport, tear up and flush their documents down the toilet or otherwise dispose of them and then present themselves at the immigration with no explanation of how they got there.

It is also legal to travel on false papers once you declare it at immigration.

Sure, a little is good of anything - too much is not. Is it any wonder we see a rise in Irish nationalism and the language lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 aland123

This might explain some of what's happening

Albanian traffickers exploit Irish back-door taxi route into UK

Soft border controls between Ireland and the UK are being exploited by Albanians to smuggle migrants into Britain in taxis for up to £2,500 less than the cost of Channel crossings, an investigation has found.

The Albanians are working with Irish criminal gangs to fly migrants into Dublin – often with fake EU papers – before providing them with an Irish taxi driver to sneak into Britain on ferries.

The backdoor route costs the migrants around £2,500 per person with a further £300 to £400 for fake ID bought in Albania. It costs an average £5,000 to £5,500 for an illegal Channel crossing in a small boat.

One gang organiser told an undercover reporter the trips were staged “every day”. 

“You must get to Dublin. We have the price of £2,500 from Dublin to England. It’s 100 per cent secure. You need to get a European fake ID so you can get easily to Dublin,” he said.

If challenged 'make a big noise'

If challenged at Dublin, the migrants are advised to “make a big noise” and claim asylum. “In 12 hours, they will let you go free. Then the taxi arrives and you can get straightway to England,” said the gang organiser.

Government sources said Albanians’ freedom to move in mainland Europe is “a challenge”. The National Crime Agency (NCA) has also previously expressed concern about the use of the Common Travel Area as a backdoor route into the UK.

Passports are not currently required for UK and Irish citizens travelling between the two countries. Although air and sea carriers say they require some form of identification, documents are not always checked. Ireland is not in the EU’s Schengen Area but will accept EU IDs as well as passports.

An NCA spokesman said: “Organised Immigration Crime is a chronic threat, the scale and complexity of which evolves all the time.The NCA works to target and disrupt the highest harm of organised crime groups at every stage of their activity – in source countries, in transit countries, near the UK border and those operating inside the UK itself.

“We also work with partners including immigration enforcement, policing and overseas law enforcement, to support their investigations.”

Home Office and NCA officials will meet senior Albanian police on Tuesday to discuss plans to fast-track the deportation of Albanians who enter the UK illegally.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) revealed that 915 migrants reached the UK on Saturday, bringing the total to more than 25,000, double the rate of last year. Home Office officials say between 50 and 60 per cent of arrivals are Albanian.

As with the Channel, Albanian people smugglers tout their deals on TikTok with the hashtag @dublinengland. One with the picture of a taxi boasts: "Ireland England 100 per cent secure. No need to pass customs with private taxi.”

Another with a similar image claimed: “From Ireland to England every day with private taxi. Good price.”

Asked about the route, a gang member explained that there was “no need to pay for a fake passport, just an EU ID. In Albania you can find it for 300-400 euros.”

He added: “If you will be stopped at Dublin make a big noise, make it tragic. Claim asylum and for 12 hours, they will let you go free.”

Asked about the taxi drivers, he said: “They are from Ireland. They know the people who work on the ferries. They get paid as well by him. I have many years working with these Irish people. No one will bother you. No problem at all. We have this sorted. Just get to Dublin.

“For two people in a taxi, we can make the price £4,000. Only be sure your IDs are a good quality.”

The NCA said it was using its “full suite of powers” to reduce the ability of the people smugglers to “recruit, communicate and advertise” their services.

Since announcing an action plan with social media firms in December, more than 1,600 posts or accounts had been removed. “However, we are clear more needs to be done and this work is ongoing,” it added.

@aland123, Yes, it works. Boys are sorted. All their mates will be heading for Holyhead as we speak.

RTE news : 100 asylum seekers due at Abbotstown campus today

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0908/1321371-asylum-seekers-ireland/

If I got offered a college place in Dublin and couldnt find affordable accomidation, I,d rock up at these refugee centers and claim asylum. Ditch my ID, pretend I dont speak english.

Would our social services find me accomidation to ensure I have a roof, bed, food and basic toiletries ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement