Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

TLDR - need a recommendation for a possible replacement GSHP

I have a Climatemaster ground source heat pump for the last 19 years. Has been working fairly ok with a few manageable issues over the years. Last winter I had a leak and had it refilled with gas twice (a bit too expensive to be doing very often). Leak was repaired twice by refrigeration engineer who alluded you the possibility that a leak in the compressor (?) is game over for the unit. Currently not working due to low gas pressure again and has been so since May. My normal service engineer suggested a different refrigiration engineer to check for leaks but so far it’s proving very difficult to get him. Obviously we don’t need heat just now, but winter is coming and I’m afraid he’ll turn up in October and conclude the unit is beyond help, leaving me freezing and scrambling to get a replacement unit.

Could anybody recommend a good brand or supplier of a robust reliable GSHP as a replacement, should it become necessary (or warn of models to avoid!) Should I consider an air source one as they seem more plentiful now? (but I already gave the ground collector infrastructure )

House is about 2400 sq feet with underfloor heating

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Outdoor Hot Water Tank

Planning a new air to water install but inside space is tight. I was considering locating hot water tank outside the back door. I could build a surround and insulate well. Pipe run to existing manifolds would be very short. Has anybody done anything similar?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

this set up will impact the BER unless its actually part of the heated space and the work is certified

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dod6

Hi all,

Newbie question.

We're dealing with an OSS for a possible retrofit on a 1999 2-Storey, Detached, 180 sq m, with brick-faced Cavity Wall construction, 20 year old double glazing and a gas boiler of the same vintage. Scope includes cavity & attic insulation measures, mech. ventilation, TG windows, composite doors and an 8.5kW Mitsubishi Ecodan HP.

Total costs are higher than expected at €61,180 plus VAT, but we're not completely shocked given the times we're in. We recognise that the insulation and airtightness works are messy/costly due to 2 Dormer Rooms and a leaky suspended floor. But the HP is *a lot* higher than expected at €23,920 plus VAT. Details attached. Any comments appreciated.

Dod6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

That's not the worst OSS quote I've seen. I was being quoted around €100k for the wrap, heat recovery vents, suspended floor insulation, new rads and a hp.

They were quoting insane numbers for the wrap 3x the price I paid and I'm currently getting quotes for HP closer to €6k and every single one ignored my request for solar.

I felt like the OSS were taking the hand and inflating prices where they could and then including a project management fee. So I went and priced it up and done it all myself for about €55k including solar. I have yet to get the HP in but I'm fairly confident it'll be significantly less than the OSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

A near mirror to my 1999 semi d and i will need to go to a mult zone setup as well. My OSS communication is a bit of a void.

I would ask on the price of the heat pump and cylinder as well on the zoning work as i would expect a couple of days labor to do all that pipe work.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Question regarding energy usage and heat pumps. What is your total annual electriicty usage?

We built a new house four years ago. It has treble glazing, loads of insulation, underfloor heating and an air to water heat pump. On our quote for the air-to-water the company estimated that to heat an area of 2,300 sq ft and to provide hot water would require energy of about 12,000kwh per annum. Using the heat pump they estimated the nett energy would be a little over a quarter of that, about 3,200 per anum.

I would be expecting the remaining appliances to raise the enery usage to slightly above the national average - say 4,500 kwh per annum in total.

Now, I'm too embarrassed to put a figure on it but our annual electricity usage is much, much higher than 4,500kwh. Is there something amiss?

Broadly how much would you expect a new house to use in electricity? 2300 sq ft, no heat gaps, well insulated, single story, polished concrete floors, pretty up-to-date etc etc.???

A question for those with a ashp with a buffer tank and a battery, would it be effective to run an ashp off a bigish battery filled by a night rate during the warmer daytime versus directly off night rate at potentially sub zero temps. That of course has to take into account the losses from the battery

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

the average electric use is about 4200kwh a year.. without a heatpump. so you would your annual electric use be closer to 8000?

I'm close to 12000/year but about 6000 being the EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Same as you graememk, about 12,000pa. To be honest I was shocked when I added them all up. I knew we would be a bit over the average but three times the average !! I can't believe the system is working correctly. Do you know if there is a way to measure the heatpumps energy usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Check your meter for a few days in a row to see how many units you use. Then turn off heat pump and see what you use on an average day without it. Then you can see if the house, heatpump or both are heavy on juice.

Gonna be a little slow to do that but worth it big time. Every unit you save is money in the back pocket straight away.

If you have solar AND become more energy conscious, you're away with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Depending on your heat pump there may be an energy monitor built in. I've the mitsubishi ecodan it has a panel on it for menus etc and it can show elec in Vs heat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Have you checked your hot water settings etc. following advice here I tweaked our AWHP parameters setting water to 55 and the sterilisation to 60. It’s made a massive difference from what I can see so far in terms of units used, granted I have no data on space heating yet but just a suggestion.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Yeah.. but I don't have a heatpump! Thankfully I have solar and batteries so I'm at about 80-90% night rate. 12000 wasn't purchase, but use.

But yeah as others said, lowest barrier for entry is meter readings.

Then some sort of energy monitor, there's wireless ones you can get efenegy I think is a brand, owl do one too,

Shelly em is good if you want to start dabbling with home assistant.

Even as others said your heatpumps interface might shed some light.

As the saying goes, you can't improve if you can't measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have a similar setup and house size to you but it is a dormer. 8kW Nibe air to water.

I have a separate small consumer unit for the HP and pump etc. This has its own meter so I have a better view on the usage.

2500kWh a year would cover my heating, DHW and a small amount of cooling on average.

DHW usage is quite low though and the heating would never be set to above 19/20 degrees.

What sort of peak wattage do you see.

I like the separate consumer unit as it could be wired to a battery but that all depends on how much juice it takes.

I am leaning towards a nibe s2125 sometime next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On the subject of air to water heat pumps, I have one of these in a new build. Right now the thermostat says it's 21.9 C which is above what we have the standard temperature set to.

But the house still feels chilly. All the radiators are off - should they be on to distribute this heat? Or does it only work if the building temperature is lower than what we want it to be at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

If the temp is above the set point why would add more heat? If you're cold and the temp is above the set point.... You need to raise the set point.

If there's just parts of the house cold it's likely you could do with zoned heating.

We've a zone (thermostat and rad / UFH) in every room since refurb. Don't think the whole house has ever called for year at the same time.

6000 on EV

So maybe 4,800 euro in fossil fuel

6000/15 = 400*6*2= 4800?

Wow. Big difference!

I'm getting a price, before grants, of 69K for insulation & airtightness, doors & windows, DCV, 8.5kW Heat Pump & 250l Cylinder and a handful of replaced rads. We already have 6.4kW of PV. Not sure the HP project is viable at this stage.

• Advertisement

Been in discussion with the OSS for over a year. Sloooow. Can't see a widespread national rollout of Retrofits succeeding based on our experience - high cost, slow process, v. long payback, uncertainty of outcome... Hoping to be proved wrong.

Yep.. and my night rate was 5c (now it's 7.8) so €300 euro in electric

The car it replaced was a Kia Sportage auto AWD and it struggled to get under 6.5L/100km

Now have a Kia Niro.

Yeah.. big difference. 400km+ per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Will the HP work efficiently without external insulation wrap?can they give a guaranteed/estimated consumption rate for HP?

Well it is taking so long that the low cost loans may be available by the time any work starts. I am not holding my breath for either.

However even if a hp is pushed or not done, by insulating and ventilating the cost of heating over the next 30-40 years will be much cheaper as well more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

We're living in a 1950s semi-d. Getting attic and cavity wall insulation upgraded to current standards. Have been also quoted for an 11kw ATW heat pump plus 2kw PV solar panels plus replacement of some of our rads, fitting TRVs etc. UFH a non-runner in our case.

We're worried that, in an older house like ours, the HP won't heat the rooms to a satisfactory level (20*/21*) in the middle of the winter. Anyone any experience of this scenario? Also any idea of how much electricity this HP will use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have been logging my heat pump with Home Assistant since Feb using a ShellyEM and the chart below is the moving 7 day average of use since then. I am in a new build house A1 rated and I have a Samsung and Joule 12 kW A2W HP. I have a 300litre tank

As you can see during Feb I was using on average 22-24 kWh a day for heat and showers, during the summer this is down to 6kWh a day. There is a dip there end of July where one of my 2 teenage kids went on holidays and then we went on holidays for two weeks.

This winter I intend to not have so much heating as we were getting used to the house and I had my wife moving temps in some rooms up to 21-22 degs...The house will stay at 19-20 deg all day long so it should need minimal heating. My two lads could literally spend 30 mins each in the shower sometimes twice a day...I dont have any timed settings on it but this winter with prices sky rocketing I think I will.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

what is the projected HLI: if not <= 2 then no grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I insisted on having the meter in when I got the HP installed. I need to see what it is actually consuming.

I think the highest power I have ever seen it use was about 2.2kW. But I don't have a way to measure the peak so can't be certain.

So in the range of running off a battery invertor EPS in a power failure. Now i never expect to have a power failure in an urban environment but it is worth a just in case thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

Sorry not sure. But supplier assures us we will qualify for the grants including the €4000 bonus

Advertisement