Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As bad as things were tonight in the first half, the Liverpool sides that went onto win the CL & PL had stinker of performances away at Napoli too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Please, please please stop, Milner is at that Gary Neville moment he can no longer cut it at this level, time has eventually caught him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Everyone game is starting to become massively important now. Huge pressure to get wins in the next two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Need Konate back quickly now as Matip and him should be the starting two in central defence.

Thiago and Matip added so much more to that team when they were on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a leap in quality bringing on matip and Thiago but it was too late.

I'd seriously consider dropping trent for Gomez at full back. Pity we sold Neco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

If there’s any positives from tonight, it’s getting minutes for Matip, Thiago, Jota and Arthur, and Diaz working his arse off.

We desperately need options. Some of our players have been stinking the place out for a while, maybe tiredness, or just not bothered. Either way a spell on the sidelines for some of them might be what’s needed.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah here, I get you're trying to be positive but this wasn't a blip. It was a continuation of the season to date.

The blip so far was Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If we can't get the intensity back in our game, I don't see how we have a successful season in any way.

And the thing is, for many, because of the World Cup, this will be the most draining season of their careers ... right after a 63 game marathon where the season started a couple of weeks earlier than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Grim evening. Early goal in the second half was the final kick in the balls.

It was a shocker, the only small silver lining (and I mean very small) is that it was a champions league group stage match, and the hardest one of the group at that. Losing a game like that is always on the cards, obviously didn't want to lose it that badly.

Matip and Thiago back in the side make a difference. I don't know what the club are going to do about Trent. Wonder what Neco Williams would have thought about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Trent's attitude is awful but to be honest but Virgils is not much better...he's just strolling around the place disinterested half the time. Not sure if the Mo contract has been at him or what but he looks so far off it. The high line does not work without him dictating it and I don't think we have properly caught anyone offside this season...Robbo is trying to be passing and general end product have been way off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Ill worry about Nunez when the team is playing well and actually being creative and he isn't scoring. Until then, the man deserves a huge pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

He was poor towards the end of last season too. I've lost faith in him a little. But it is good to have him back as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just feels like a massive hangover after going so close to 4 trophies last season. Both physically and mentally some players just seem way way off it. Early start to this season as well. Their body language screams I just can't be arsed having to do all this over again. They might be fine again in a month but by then a lot of damage could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I said this a couple weeks back as well. Mentally shattered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I honestly think his mind is on the World Cup and not getting injured and missing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

A lot of then looked like they were in slow motion when turning too get back,it's like they aren't bothered or haven't got the energy I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

The Mo contract has been at VVD? Why would VVD care about the Mo contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

was thinking this very thing since the start of the season....he's massive and there's lads pushing him around.. even on attacking corners he's letting players shove him about....

• Advertisement

Don't know if that's the case, he has as much a risk of getting injuried the way he's playing currently as he's late and awkward going into so many tackles... regardlessly of minding himself he should be still able to pick out a simple pass and that's a struggle for him to currently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Woeful performance. Milner needs dropping. Thiago straight in for Wolves. Matip as well.

We will turn it around but it needs to be asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You would think that Trent would be motivated with the WC in mind, and not being one of the starting England 11...but he's so far off it, he should be worrying about being on the plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's difficult to want to bother in a stadium that was like a steam room, must have been 28c in stadium, you're 2-0 down, and you know it doesn't matter one bit this game. It explains a lot of what we saw tonight.

Thats a really fiar point

But when it's his poor control and passing breaking down attacks its a bit of a worry,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Trent getting a lot of blame for the goals.

A goal down, he's pushing on, Gomez makes (another) Fvck up, Trent of 60 meters away and could never recover in a million years, but he's still to blame according to BT.

He's not playing well, is being caught out in a nonfunctioning team, but it's not all on him.

While team hasn't got going this season, have been very flat and passive since the first game, well the second game (looked very sharp in Charity Shield).

Whole squad is very flat, something off on preperations it looks to me, start to games is so poor and we're always chasing the result.

When ur on a terrible run like we are the start of games is huge

Milner giving that penalty away just made some of the lads think here we go again & just gave up or felt sorry for themselves, You can't afford that away at that level

Milner was an absolute nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

That was a hard watch. Obviously Gomez and Trent will cop some stick for the third goal, as well as Gomez being caught on the ball repeatedly, but Virgil was all over the bloody place. Lost count of the number of times he dragged the defence out of place or marked thin air. 4th goal is a good example of this. He's been dragged over to the left and is literally marking nothing.

Then again, if we want to talk about individuals, only Ali, Elliot & Diaz have been anywhere near where they should be this season, so idk maybe we should drop the whole team? You could maybe add Thiago to players who've played ok, but he's played 1 & 1/3 games, so the sample set is not particularly large.

Personally I think this is mentality issue, cos we know for a fact that these lads can play. Injuries haven't helped, but it's not like 3 years ago where we ended up with Hendo at CB. Collectively they're making poor errors - bad decisions when defending, un co-ordinated presses, not getting to 2nd balls (particularly from corners - I'd say we got countered successfully direct from corners more in 3 games against Newcastle, Everton and Napoli than we have in 3 years.) which are so prevalent throughout the team that I can't accept it's individuals players or tactics. It's a collective mentality issue.

yup noticed Fabinho doing it a lot too... take the ball to feet and turn and move forward.... dont go backwards and let the oppostion re-group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Glad Jurgen is talking about the set up..

Hopefully he can drop the high line..even till we get more legs into midfield.

Might even help the forwards have more space behind the opposition if we play deeper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ah it wasn't so much as trying to be positive as such, just something I thought.

Overall there a lot of underlying issues. I think the physical strain has taken its toll, that's obvious, but the mental one is showing through now too. Fresh blood is needed into the team.

Hopefully the return of Matip, Thiago & Jota can get things going again before January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

We better get use to this folks,the Newcastle result only covers the cracks,those cracks have got wider by the game.LFC in serious trouble and the lack of purchases is killing us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Was actually happy with Klopps interview with BT there. Thought he'd be his usual defensive self after a defeat but he was pretty honest and admitted he needs to "reinvent" the team. Will be interesting to see what happens on Sat.

Stats in the games don't reflect the results though. We must have had 200 shots in last 6 games, and dominated possession in them all.

Against Bournemouth they all went in, tonight we could have had 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This is it imo. Losing the CL final. Mediocre transfer window, teams strengthening left right and centre and a World Cup on the way…it’s bound to be exhausting.

Just have to try and relax a bit and take it a game at a time.

Matip, Thaigo & Nunez in for Saturday

Id love to say Arthur to but he doesn't look match sharp yet but I think he will help us get control when, he's fit

Would Klopp ever go 3 at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Klopp Post Match Quotes

“Really tough to take. Not that difficult to explain. First and foremost, Napoli played a really good game and we didn’t.”

“Until Thiago entered the pitch, I cannot remember one counter pressing situation.”

“It looks like we have to reinvent ourselves. There’s a lot of things lacking.”

“With Alisson in goal, you have to be really bad to concede 3 goals in the first half.”

“If Wolves watch tonight, they can’t stop laughing at us.”

“We were not working as a team.”

“We don’t play good enough. It’s obvious. That’s why we lose games.”

“I need time to think about it. There’s a few things really obvious. We have to reset and go.”

*on going to the away end after the game* "I had to say sorry to the fans."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

We were a shambles at the back. Maybe we could've had 5 (although imo that's a stretch), but equally they could've had more than 4.

Having more possession, shots etc. is a relevant discussion if we had actually played well and had run into a Spiderman Goalie or something. Because then you can reasonably assume that if you continue to do the same things, you'll get results.

But there's no case for that today. We do the same things at the weekend as we did tonight and we'll ship another 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

So he is happy to rule out sprinting or general running in case of injury? Not buying that as an excuse for him. His laziness and general attitude is a continuation from the latter part of last season. It's some stretch to suggest it's the World Cup playing on his mind. He looks like he is putting absolutely zero effort in and I would love to see him dropped for a good run of games. I don't care who replaces him, even an academy player at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

cant see us playing that bad at the weekend if the lads come back into the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Lucky I have 3 to put to bed by looks of things, missed the second half. Were they any better than the first half at least?

Even in the second half you could see it. A ball played over the top which draws one of the cb's to the player running towards the ball. Our remaining cb is trying to stay central but Napoli have not only a runner making a run off the other side of our central cb but Napoli have 3 more players sprinting forward towards the box. They are goal side of our 3 midfielders who are either struggling for pace or too far forward, not to mention our 2 fullbacks who are too far forward also. This situation was allowed to develop a number of times in the second half alone. Effectively 5 on 2. Even with Matip there we can't keep exposing our cb's to those situations happening regularly each game. Midfield has been a defensive non entity this season so far.

Klopp deserves some blame tonigjt

He didn't move for a midfielder untill the Naby injury which was shockingly too late, Stevie Wonder could see we would have issues

Then tonight he knows Gomez struggles with a high line & plays a midfield with no legs in front of him, So no closing down & making Gomez deal. with through ball after through ball

The whole midfield situation is rotten,

Milner was awful, Fabhino looked nailed to the ground at times & Elliott was the last to get back of the 3 multiple times.

The right hand side of the pitch was so bad defensively

• Advertisement

To be honest he's been getting away with murder in my opinion. Everyone jumps down the midfield issues (that is a problem too) everytime a team either scores or create a decent chance against us. This craic of just lazily suggesting that the defense is only getting caught out because the midfield is overrun! Our defense has been caught out by the most basis balls put in behind game after game, it doesn't matter who we have in midfield if we can't defend the simple stuff then we are at nothing!!

I agree mistakes have been made at the back but I think it starts with midfield. We are just far too open there whether it is a lack of pace or legs or just not being in the right position. Robertson alluded to it in an interview after the game where he stated the team is too open and nowhere near compact enough.

• Administrators Posts: 54,112 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Worryingly, I think Klopp's quote of "reinvent ourselves" is bang on the money. This is beyond tweaking something here and there, we are all over the place and major fixes are needed, but we all know major fixes are not going to appear quickly.

I said it already tonight, I am seriously worried we won't be playing in this competition next year, it's honestly that bad. I am unconvinced this is a temporary blip, we look lost at sea and completely devoid of any confidence. Defensively we are a total shambles. Anyone half decent can just play through us, and most worryingly VVD, who is our most reliable defender, is among those getting caught out repeatedly.

I complained last year that the squad was allowed to fester too much, but we went on an insane run of form which made me and others with similar views look like fools tbh, but in hindsight it looks like all it did was paper over some cracks. Klopp worked a miracle. We had a title winning squad a few seasons ago that we did nothing but window dress on , instead of building for sustained success we tried to milk every player for every last drop.

This is the outcome when we don't continually invest serious money in the squad, eventually the problem becomes so big that it's impossible to paper over. The additional problem is when you're on a slide it's seriously difficult to stop the rot, if we're looking dodgy for Champions League come January then signings will be more difficult, players will demand higher wages to offset the risk. If we're not in it come next summer then we can forget about competing for the cream of the crop.

I don't want to be hyperbolic but honestly, this saga could cost Klopp his job if things do not improve. I do not believe for a second that the Americans won't wield the axe if they are unhappy.

I would not think there is any prospect of FSG losing faith in Klopp, they must realise the part they themselves have played in the malaise. I would be far more concerned about Klopp coming to the conclusion that the players might no longer be listening to him. At both Mainz and Dortmund there came a time when his teams collapsed without investment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement