Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Apparently O Gorman is to meet with the Kildare residents concerned with the building of Modular housing in their area this week.

In my eyes this is just " busy work" a stalling method applied. Like the rest of us, the residents in Kildare have many a valid objection to what is being proposed " for their community" and the effects of such.

I feel the need to amplify again I am not anti Ukrainian or any other type of refugee/ asylum seekers. I am however anti any policy which goes against what is best for our country. We cannot provide adequately for own citizens, never mind refugees.

The basic rudimentary needs of citizens are not or cannot be fulfilled.

We are doing well laborious wise, what does that actually mean if you can not prosper in your society? An own goal methinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

They have a get out the Gov. If it's Gov land or they CPO it to be then even ABP cant do a thing.

Agree. How could it possibly cost 300,000 euro to provide 1 modular home circa 500sqm on already provised Council land 🤔. Plus 50k for plumbing and electrics for each unit,?

Data to back this expenditure up is in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In what world is it ripping the piss? She has the right to reside in any country in the EU. What part of that are you struggling to understand?

Or is it because she is a "model"? Are ya bitter because you think she wouldn't give you the time of day? Maybe up your own game and be less bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That cost will likely go up, because I am willing to bet that the Ukrainians will not be buying their own furniture, and it is probably not included in the price. I think the €50k is for things like bathroom, kitchen and oven, washers etc.

Would love to find out who is getting the contract for these bonkers crazy priced modular homes. You can buy modular homes with wiring and plumbing already fitted, all that is needed is to connect, and they are a lot cheaper than that.

Absolute madness and nothing to do with inflation.

• Advertisement

Double answer to this.

1 Follow the money and see who gets the tasty contract.

2 Artificially inflate the price to show why they have not built social housing.

3rd option. They could be building them to a mad enviromental standard heatpumps the whole lot.

Might you offer a similar previous experience of "War torn refugees" allowed to hop from one beneficial country to another?

Non legally we never gave them the Article currently being used IIRC. They are effectively EU citizens.

• Advertisement

Whaddabout whaddabout whaddabout.

The EU granted temporary protection to Ukrainians. As part of the directive that was invoked, they can reside in any EU country. The only proviso is that they can only be registered in one at a time.

This is very very basic and should be easy to understand. It has been explained many many times.

What are you advocating for? Is it the extension of that protection to other countries around the world such as Afghanistan or Sudan or Syria etc? I don't think it should be extended to such countries but it has already been granted to Ukrainians and I have no problem with that. It's done and you will have to get over it. There is no taking the piss any more than you would be taking the piss collecting your childrens allowance every month if you were entitled to it.

You clearly avoided my request.

I asked you to post 1 similar example of "A worn torn refugee allowed to hop from one beneficial country to another" ?

Can you support this info or not?

Granting to outside of the Europe block would be a massive abuse of power. Even in this case it's a grey area. If rights can be given to anyone outside the EU then what is the point of being a member of the EU. We pay into the system everyone else does not simple as that. As an EU citizen your supposed to have certain inalienable rights.

You probably think that that post come across as somehow intelligent. But it is irrelevant noise because, again, you don't appear to have a grasp of the basics.

Also, you clearly don't understand what "inalienable" means. No right has been taken from you because a decent looking Ukrainian girl - who you are presumably bitter about because you feel she is too far out of your league - used the rights afforded to her and came to Ireland.

Find all the stories of "Poor Ukrainians" all you want. I am all for helping others. Yourself and others on this thread appear to be "negative help the Irish". Why?

Help everyone but charity begins at home.

hahaha 1 out of 10 tbh. Your rights My Rights have been lessened as they have been handed out without consent. It's very simple I can see this going the The ECHR as an abuse of power by the Commission. It Will be some Right wing group though unfortunately. Again having read the Article there is no onus on a member to take in any amount only an amount that they can sustain and in solidarity with other members It's not supposed to impose economic hardship on the host country read the article. Why France has taken in less than us per capita. The devil is in the details if people actually read the articles.

You clearly have still not answered this post? I'll leave it hanging yeah?

Population of that village went from 300 in March to 700 in a couple of months. School population of 26 “has more than doubled” and another 22 refugees were due to arrive in the village this week with zero consultation with local authorities.

Like I said yesterday they’re just dumping refugees in large quantities in some areas and next to none in others.

Simple you don't put a problem where people vote for you That's the easiest explanation. Would like to see a county breakdown and by what TD's areas they are.

• Advertisement

A Worn torn refugee previously submitted from one safe country to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Entitled to protection but many want protection and to have our cake and eat it…

country hopping when you are supposed to be a refugee = piss take. The definition of protection / welfare tourism..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Many countries are changing how they handle the Refugees along with the energy prices and, obviously it has to start stopping at some time. Here is a list of some of them, and Ireland going the opposite direction and giving them more.

From September 1, a number of innovations await Ukrainians in many EU countries. Refugees from Ukraine will have to redo documents for the status of temporary protection, and it is also worth keeping abreast of innovations related to finances.

In France, they are asking to extend the status 6 months after the start of full-scale war

Ukrainians who are in the country because of the war, and who have issued the status of temporary protection, after 6 months of stay, it is urgently necessary to renew it. Otherwise, financial payments will be stopped.

Housing subsidies for refugees from Ukraine will be canceled in the capital of the Czech Republic

Since September, the Prague City Hall has canceled surcharges for homeowners who host Ukrainian refugees.

The relevant information was confirmed by the mayor of the capital, Zdenek Grzyb. According to him, the city cannot continue to play the role of the state in the refugee crisis, and the money should be directed to solving the problem of the sharp rise in energy prices.

In Poland, they will stop exchanging UAH at a favorable rate

Back in March, refugees from Ukraine in Poland faced the impossibility of exchanging cash UAH for zlotys at an acceptable rate. Then the central banks of Ukraine and Poland agreed on the exchange of money at a fixed rate - a little less than 7 UAH for 1 zloty. One Ukrainian was allowed to exchange up to 10 thousand UAH in this way.

In total, PKO Bank Polski launched such an exchange in 100 branches, and the total amount of Ukrainian currency that the National Bank of Ukraine had to buy was up to 10 billion UAH.

The current exchange rate of the UAH to the zloty is 11 money per UAH (from 7.7 to 8.4 UAH for 1 zloty in exchange offices).

Germany will start counting visa-free days

The German authorities revised the rules of stay for immigrants.

Ukrainians who are in Germany without temporary protection status, and whose visa-free days run out (90 days within 180 days) by August 31, must either leave the country or become legalized. It will be possible to apply for temporary protection status until hostilities cease.

The Irish authorities announced new aid to refugees from Ukraine.

Since September, Ukrainian refugees in Ireland can attend courses and receive a scholarship for free.

Seems like they have realised about Treasure Island and offloading their problems now to us. Some solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

Your posts are so weird. Why make up imaginary scenarios as to how you feel the poster thinks about a model ?

2nd time you have done this . Are you projecting your own securities? It’s just strange

also you are very patronising , accusing people of “not grasping” “ not difficult to understand “ etc but I would seriously question your own intelligence.

Portmagee to get 200 more Ukrainians this week. Their population in Portmagee is 123 so the Ukrainian influx will outnumber the locals overnight.

I quoted Gript as the same story in the Independent is behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

A lot of presumptions there but anyway.

Her being a model has nothing to do with it. In fact, I never even mentioned she was a model.

I fully agree that she has the right to reside in any EU country. If you read my posts, I never disputed that she should be allowed to leave Ukraine. If someone, anyone, is in a wartorn country they of course should leave and we & every other nation should do our best to support them.

However, leaving a country to reside elsewhere due to war, then heading back for a modelling camp or anything along those lines for a few weeks, to me, is ripping the piss.

Imagine there's a Syrian man living here as a refugee, likes PC gaming, say League of Legends . He decides to fly back to Syria for a few weeks to participate in a Leage of Legends tournament. Would you genuinley have the same attitude towards him? Would you not think it's kind of taking advantage of our hospitality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

lol, I'd guess you're availing of cheap Ukrainian brazzers given your final comments there.

Then again, Donald Trump is known to have a penchant for east euro totty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Because I did some (very) basic research.*

* I clicked a link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What?

You: I'm doubting the sincerity of her reasons for leaving.

Me: Did you not look at the video I posted from a Sky News broadcast from her home town.

How is this not discussing things?!

She's from a town that's literally been blown to bits - not quite as bad as Mariupol, but still blown to ****. What more needs to be demonstrated?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement