Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No external ventilation in kitchen

Options
  • 29-08-2022 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Gone Sale agreed on an apartment and the valuation is completed by the bank. One snag though. The surveyor said that kitchen extractor was installed without any external vent. The hose goes up but it doesn't go out. A carbon filter is used. Management company won't allow for hole to be drilled to take it outside. It doesn't comply with housing regulations (I don't think) and my fear is if I ever want to rent it out or sell in the future I'm beeeeeped! Anyone have an issue like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I know a guy who screwed a vent on the outside wall and put a piece of black plastic behind it so it looked like there was a hole in the wall. The council inspector never copped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any chance you can just make the hole?

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Is the entire apartment block like this? How old is the building

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Purple410

It may be a recirculating model, so no external outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

It was built in 2003/2004..

Is a recirculation model allowed by councils upon inspection? Would it pass basically in 5/10 years time when if I want to let it? Planning to move home home eventually and simply rent or sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

Oh my god that's hilarious that the inspector never copped it 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Recirculation models are obviously inferior to a vented model, but I think they're far from unusual - I'm not aware of anything saying they're not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

OP, is the cooking done using gas or electricity? I'm presuming it's electricity...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

For better insulation its best not to have connected externally... are all new A rated houses still venting externally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

Is it close to the Bathroom?

A plus of connecting to the bathroom extraction is a nice kitchen fragrence in your shower.... But you might be able to go directly to the extraction point and connect the two there.

Advertisement