Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

For Broadband / TV they can require 30 days notice, although some will just allow you to cancel immediately once you are out of contract (Vodafone allowed me to cancel the same day).

For Elec + Gas, they just require your final reading and you can close the account then and there. They may ask for details to contact the new owners.

If you are out of contract on refuse collection, and have paid up, just give them the date you will no longer require collections from.

Best bet is to read the cancellation policies of any providers you have, especially if you are in a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

Thanks Giblet - I am out of contract on everything so hopefully it wont be an issue. Once I get a date to be gone from property, I will get cracking on cancelling the utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

We were in same boat. Husband working at home and with eir. We ended up moving with pretty much no notice down to solicitors incompetence. I rang eir the day after we moved and first guy said no way we're they able to help us without 30 days notice, he couldn't even free up the line for the new owners. (Unless we were taking eir with us but they don't service new house) so rang again 10min later and 2nd guy had it all sorted our no problem within 5min. So I wouldn't worry too much about it you don't want to end up being stuck with no Internet if there is a delay. Utilities were all done moving day just quick reading and accounts closed. We had some rubbish in bins so paid for an extra collection for new owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭frank730

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Still waiting for loan offer from AIB, it's in the 'final check' stages so hoping it won't take too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Hi folks.

We're currently in the fortunate position to have had offers accepted on two properties that we like. We didn't plan for this to happen but let me explain:

We viewed a house that is in a great location and has had some work done in recent years to bring the BER to a B3. However, the bedrooms are poky and we would envisage doing a significant extension in the future if we bought this house. We put an offer well under asking price to reflect this. Heard nothing much since.

Another house came up a little further outside town. A much bigger house with a wonderful garden. Needs no extension but the kitchen is well outdated and would need replacing eventually along with some bathrooms updated and stoves fitted where open fires are now. It's a C1 BER. There was an offer at asking price on this house and we upped that a little bit. After a week or so they came back asking would we go any higher, and we said no because our offer was still the best offer at that stage. Later that day they accepted our offer. We have paid the booking deposit.

In the following days I got a letter from our broker to say we had approval in principal. I sent this to the EA. I decided I would send this to the EA for the other house as well, because he had asked for this at the time we made the offer but we didn't have it yet.

Lo and behold the second EA comes back and says that the vendor is willing to accept our offer.

Now bearing in mind this house is €100k cheaper than the house we've paid a booking deposit on. It's smaller and we would be spending that money on an extension eventually but the location is great, easy walking distance to town centre.

However we do prefer the house that's further out. With rates rising we are getting a bit cautious about taking the bigger mortgage. We could afford the mortgage at the higher rates but would obviously like to keep the costs down so we can do work like replacing the kitchen etc. sooner.

Do you think there is any point in going back to the EA now and trying to renegotiate the price? Is the agent likely to entertain the idea at all do you think? We are buying with 50% cash, 50% mortgage and will be able to close quite quickly.

Thinking of giving him a call and saying we've had an offer accepted on another property and with interest rates going the way they are we are thinking the 100k price difference is hard to look past.

Obviously not expecting to get 100k off the price of the house but would there be any wiggle room in a situation like this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

So you want to renegotiate the price because you've had an offer accepted on a cheaper house? If I knew that was a thing, I would have bid on houses a couple of hundred grand under what we paid 😂

In all seriousness, I don't think it's fair to try to renegotiate after you've paid a booking deposit, just because you could spend less money on another house. I'm also surprised you were allowed to bid on the houses without your AIP in place. We were always told we had to provide proof of it before placing an offer.

Well the main thing is actually the interest rate increases that are driving this thought process. The fact is we'd be happy in either house, but the "value" of the more expensive house is diminished by the rate increase.

We just need to make a decision and wondering does it ever happen that when circumstances change that an agreed price can be renegotiated? The other thing in the back of our minds is that the offer at asking price on this house was supposedly from a cash buyer. We were put under pressure a bit to bid with the EA telling us on second viewing that the vendor was looking to wrap up the process. We didn't increase on the first offer by a massive amount yet the other party supposedly dropped out when our offer came in. Sounds a bit odd. There's been no other bids and they were trying to get us to increase our offer regardless.

We're starting to feel we may be paying an inflated price anyway but with the rates increasing and now that we have a second option on the table I just want to know if renegotiation is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

If interest rates dropped after you paid your booking deposit, would you be happy if the vendor asked you to pay more for the house?

We had to suck up an interest rate rise during the course of closing our sale, but we went into it knowing this was a possibility.

You always have the option of pulling out and getting back your booking deposit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Go with the house you want more, that ticks more boxes, people pull out of sales all the time. It’s a 6 figure payment, go with what you want, contracts arent exchanged, it’s a life decision go with what works for you.

• Advertisement

It's a business transaction at the end of the day, it's up to both parties to to reject or accept any proposal from the other side. I was simply curious if it's a scenario that happens from time to time, that's all.

Ya, that's the trouble, it's location vs better house and that's a tough choice! We'll take the weekend to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ticktickboom

Hi Lintdrummer.

I've had to pull out of a sale agreed after a couple of months. We bid way over the odds for the house, about 10% more than much nicer recently sold houses in the area. It then slowly transpired that there were serious issues requiring immediate attention that would cost approx 10% of the house value to remedy. As we were at the very top of our affordability and the rates were rising again, we wouldn't have had the money to fix these issues. It would have translated to the house costing us a ridiculous amount of money in the end. An amount for which we could easily purchase a far better, problem free house. We went back to the vendors and asked them to consider a revised offer with these costs deducted.

They said no...

This makes little sense to me since the issues will definitely be discovered by any underbidders too. Also, since the sale was agreed, rates have risen and there's both a windfarm and a solar farm being planned in the immediate vicinity! They'll more than likely end up selling for less than what we offered and with months more delay.

My advice would be that it's unreasonable to ask for any sort of price negotiation unless there is a serious unforseen cost such as structural, planning or waste treatment. Asking for money off because the kitchen is outdated is fanciful.

It sounds like you'd be far happier and have much better peace of mind in the cheaper house. That's something money can't buy.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Thanks ticktickboom.

I guess it's not the kitchen that's a cause for concern, we knew about that when we placed the bid. It's the interest rate hikes and the cost to service the debt that is making us reconsider. I also can't shake the feeling that we are being had somehow. We upped the offer that existed by €5000 and they accepted. The lower offer was 100% cash according to the EA. It makes no sense to me not to go with the lower cash offer vs ours which requires a mortgage. Just doesn't feel genuine to me.

Ya, I think we're going to go for the cheaper house and the truth will out then. If the other bid was genuine it will go to them. If not, it will be back on the market. We'll be happy regardless and will have more comfort with the lower debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ticktickboom

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel with regards "being had" there's no transparency to the process whatsoever. We've also found there are people being allowed to bid to their hearts content without showing any proof of funds. The rate rises are 100% already feeding into lower bids and sale prices. We've seen a big increase in sales falling through.

IMO, you're right to be cautious, I'd have a similar risk tolerance, I'd rather a more modest house and less worry. I hope it works out for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

well you were right to tell us to stay positive. We've just signed off the snag on our house, valuation to be done early next week and completion date from the developers due to be Monday the 12th.

We're still in a race against time to get it all signed off and drawdown completed before our loan offer expires at the end of Sept, but were definitely looking in better shape now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

I got the keys for my apartment On Friday, I'm so happy.😁😁

Thank you Guys , this Thread was very helpful😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Congratulations! Similarly we got the keys to our new house on Wednesday. Moving tomorrow. I also found this thread very helpful. Thanks to all the contributors who shared their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Just received my loan offer today. Over the moon! Not sure the development will be fully built within the 6 month time frame but I'm being optimistic! 🤞

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm stuck waiting on one thing for months, PRA/Land Direct. The person selling has to put their name on it/register it before they can sell it etc. Am told by PRA it's at the "mapped" stage but the case is not assigned to anyone. The seller solicitor sent a letter to expedite weeks ago but no change, so slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Anyone get AIP recently with Haven? What was the turnaround time from application submission? We're about 4 weeks waiting now

Not Haven but BOI were extremely slow with AIP recently, took over 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 afoley91

Personally we found BOI very quick, went direct filled in all details got a call next day, they then issued AIP instantly (not underwriter approved but don't need underwriter approved to bid) once we went sale agreed on our house we rang up details again updated instantly, we then got all our docs ready which we uploaded one weekend, questions from case manager all answered by the Wednesday and sent to underwriter that evening and had our decision the following Monday/Tuesday, needed to supply one further doc which we did on Thursday and had our loan offer on the following Monday! It may be the case that they speed up property specific approvals!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pierrette

After what seems like an age, we are finally at drawdown stage. Anyone have any idea how long Haven are taking after all requested pieces are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭griffid

Is anyone on here selling? We are trying to sell. We've had 6 viewings. It's been on the market since May. A one off house with renewable energy and heating, commuter area. No bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Currently sale agreed. Apartment in Dublin, a lot less interest than anticipated and agreed to sell for 7k more than asking. Felt to me that people are holding their fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

12 weeks for me. Requested updated documents twice since statements had gone out of date.

4 week wait minimum for the loan offer. The broker is asking anyone considering Haven to sign a waiver Incase delays cause them to lose a house they're bidding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Ditto that, had to reapply for AIP in Mid-June 2022 with BOI as previous one had lapsed with them. AIP was all done in 3 days using the BOI Portal, was carrying out actions every time they replied but it was quick enough I thought. Same occurred then once we went Sale Agreed end of July/early August and entered the property details. The UX on the BOI Portal is not the best, but it is a decent enough tool I found in comparison with all the previous paperwork I remember in the past with a previous mortgage. Any "Delays" for us for on the Solicitor side(ours and theirs) taking vacation in August, but that was to be expected. People need to take the holidays. All going well should be getting keys and moving in 2/3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Question - If someone pays your solicitor fees, stamp duty or surveyor fees, is that classified as a gift?

Even if the money never touches your account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yes its a gift, threshold is around 3k. I suspect the amount is a couple of multiples of that?

Advertisement