Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2022 - Here we go again! - **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

Good point about the bar, I thought a fiver for a warm can beside Salty Dog was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Thanks. Information released today. Hate to see this happening and hopefully swift prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Right here come some clips that I put up before starting blog review.

Friday's Clips:

Scustin - Trailer Park

Pixies - opening number.

Fontaines DC

The Haunt - Trad hour with Colin Olwill and one of the lads from the Mary Wallopers, music by De Danann, one of the Master Crowley's reels.

And finally for Friday the closing act for the Mind & Body main stage. 49th & The Main.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Myself and the missus met Dan, the guitarist from London Grammar outside Rankins wood on Sunday, he was just floating around waiting for Joy Crooks! We chatted for a bit, he was full of energy. He admitted he was super competitive, immediately checking the line up times to see who they’re up against! Seemed a little bit put out by not being on the main stage but took a bit of pleasure when I told him about the forecast!

We mentioned that ‘Griff’ made the mistake of saying ‘hello Dublin’ and got a bit of stick over it. He said “oh sh1t I need to tell Hannah” immediately pulling out his iPhone and proceeded to Text Hannah Reid, it was so surreal! There I am beside him, practically reading the previous messages between them & instructing him what to write😂 Don’t say Dublin, it’s Electric picnic or Laois!

I’ve seen LG quite a few times so was intending on giving them a miss in favour of Khruangbin! so that was that fcuked once the woman had met him, “we have to go see them now” but I did chuckle a little every time Hannah said “come on Ireland” “sing it Ireland” clearly Laois was too much for her!!!

I did make to Khruangbins secret salty dog gig, but it was pretty strange!

Post edited by Fatfrog on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Calling on all you beer experts for thoughts. Night and day festival (Roscommon) say the beer will be "The festival organisers (Cruachan Productions) outlined their vision for the festival that will see local brewers, distillers..."

Any ideas on who the local brewers might be so I can check them out in advance if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

Black Donkey brewing is about 11 km from the festival site.

I seem to remember having their sheep stealer and western warrior before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The closest would be Black Donkey.

Their beers are widely available.

I think sheep stealer is their biggest seller.

A little sweet for my pallette but worth giving them a shot.

Reids shack brewery are close too but I'd not heard of them before tbh.

Just over the border in Athlone is dead centre brewing. they do lovely stuff, but I'd imagine it's either or both of the first 2.

Either way, great to see craft brews on the agenda

Thanks CoffeeImpala and Thundercats

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Reded

Not one bit tough!!! Loved every second! Had a ball!

you should try the moyvalley o55 club I hear it’s great craic altogether… 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Speaking of beers, Beavertown was bought by Heineken yesterday, could see neckoil at next year's EP, that would nearly be worth going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Saturdays clips, very skant for Saturday was enjoying the craic in crew camp and got too relaxed. Didn't get into arena till about 9ish.

Staff path through festival intersection.

Interskalactic - Trailer Park.

The Haunt - African DJ Mix.

Tame Impala (2 clips)

No b&b few minutes away. Don't have a tent, that's my excuse anyway

I think it was a testing year for all, increased capacity, loss of B&S, we’re all x3 years older, poor undercard, higher prices and trying weather conditions!

I can’t understand how they weren’t able to even partially recreate/borrow/steal some of the B&S magic!! You’d almost consider giving the byeEco crowd a shot at it!! It’s perfect for B&S but the terrain makes it hard to fill!

Im on the fence about getting loyalty tickets! Probably will, but will want to see a return to normal service on the line up!

Wednesday night and hoping for a sleep tonight - my head is still in stradbally!

Reading all the reviews and loving them and despite all the mixed feelings about whether or not to return again, one thing for sure in my mind is that it’s still one of the best value festivals out there! Arts Culture (even the bits we don’t like) Music, current affairs, food and so on, there really is still so much to explore.

I have a slightly different perspective as I’m there in the early stages ( no I don’t work for FR) I see the work that goes on behind the scenes, the many teams of construction workers, sound and lighting engineers, compliance officers, security - the pallets of food and drink that requires refrigeration, the plumbers, carpenters and electricians who make it all happen, the cleaners who - omg - have the toughest gig! It’s like an army of ants coming together and yes there is still building happening on Thursday and Friday and you wonder if it will be ready but it does come together… I take my hat off to all the behind the scenes workers and volunteers who make EP happen!

I know we give out about the festival becoming the place for a younger crowd but can’t we co-exist? My 18 yr old attended this yr for the first time, she loved it, she explored and loved that she got to hang out with us the “ wise elders of the tribe!!!” We are educators people - our work here is not yet done!!!

“old people were young people before young people were people!”

I miss body and soul, it’s magic and it’s soul - I love trailer park - salty dog and Fishtown - mindfield presented many provocative sessions with people of all ages engaging in discussion - I danced at a ceili with a 72 yr old and a 19 yr old.. and boy do I love the haunt!

I rarely went to the main stage because I had little interest but there was so much else on offer elsewhere. I Especially the random chats with people - I even met my former religion teacher who told me she could still see me aged 16 in the front row (not by choice!) and I’m still apparently lively 🤣

I’m a glass half full person and despite all the negatives of which there are many, I still look forward to EP every year. I love the boardsie build up, the angst about line ups, the “how will we smuggle cans in” discussion, the knowledge of everyone on here and the discovery of music not on my radar thanks to all you guys.. so to conclude..

Will I be back? Yes I will! but EP Please clean up your act make an effort to be more environmentally sound!

Love this post Reded. Great way of looking at things

We'd have to put a ban on outdoor shows in Dublin to be able to get a decent line up these days, since the demise of Oxegen, day events have took off and it was telling with the EP lineup that a lot of opportunities of fairly big acts playing day events lessened the pool and the European festivals on at the same time.

Most likely black donkey brewery but I’d say by local it’s Irish local - could feature white hag, drumshambo distillery, possibly Galway bay brewery here’s a find your local beer map of Ireland https://irishbeer.ie/

• Advertisement

I think it’s definitely attitude towards gigs and pricing in Ireland! Not a hope in hell you would sell out 90k tickets starting at €100 (cheapest ticket) for Harry Styles in Spain or Portugal, they just wouldn’t pay it, market has a different perception of value!

The wedge Harry Styles is getting for that gig sets a high benchmark mark, is he or others like him going to come back to Ireland for a fraction of the payout, unlikely, unless they’re strapped!! (Not that I want to see Styles, but you get the idea)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Key factor is late august/early September is the tale end of festival season. Most international acts concentrate on May-July run as there is dozens of festivals every where in that period.

since The “golden years” of EP the amount of festivals in May/June/July/august have exploded and not enough mid level acts around to fill a line up at the end of festival season.

Plus a lot of interesting/good mid level acts are aligned to non MCD/FR promoters in this country.

Sunday's Clips:

Mick Flannery & Susan O'Neill.

Whoriskey - Terminus Marquee (This is the only dance act I caught really at EP this year)

Trad in The Word at Mindfield.

Rejje Snow.

Khruangbin.

Artic Monkeys.

I took this at Portalington train station when we got a bit of rain, someone set up their pop up tent on the platform on our way home.

While I have given my thoughts on EP here is what I went to see and what I thought about them over the weekend.

Friday

This was my first outing since my niece passed and mentally I really struggled but I got some lovely words from people on here which really helped so thanks. Got out early and on the way in helped two young girls struggling with their trolley by dragging it for them for quite a while thereby justifying the early beers. Music started with Beef Supreme who brought some early energy. Friday afternoon was low on things to see so wandered around to take in the changes. Caught a 16 year old artist playing in artlot who played guitar, keyboard and did great loops. At that age I was popping spots so she made me feel very inadequate. Went to mindfield to see codyy but someone completely different was on and not so good. Wanted to see the Galway Ukes there later but the time on the board outside tent was different to app so went by poster but app actually right so only got 3 songs but one was Bowie so alright. Have to say walking through mind and body with the second of what would be many pints over the weekend in hand the sight of people doing aerobics and yoga at a festival sent cold shivers down my spine. On then to harvest and a meet up with some known and new boardsies (first of many meet ups). Left for one of my must sees in bright eyes which was probably the biggest disappointment of the weekend, he was off his head and disgraceful. On then to Scattered Ashes and first visit to fishtown. Both were brilliant, loving fishtown even if a bit of bleed from Artlot. Then first trip to main stage for glass animals. The changes have made a very positive contribution to managing the expanded crowd. GA were very enjoyable. EA for Pixies, while the setlist was not great the atmosphere for the big songs was class so overall was not too bad. Up to Rankins for a bit of Fred again, my pick for doing something different and was very happy with my choice. Over to Mind and Body stage for what was one of my gigs of the weekend in Sprints. Was a bit worried as had heard stories of the lead singer being a bit uninterested but she was anything but. She was in flying form, probably due to the 15 Jaegers she said she had. Small crowd, not helped by clash with FDC, grew as the band got going and half way through she handed the bottle of Jaeger into the crowd. They finished with a cover of Wet Legs Chaise Lounge, my song of the weekend, with the crowd going mental, it was soul reviving for me. Back to Jerry's for the Pale who were their usual energetic, heartwarming selves. Headed to Mother after Dark thinking it had cover, rain fairly falling at this stage, but when I realised it was open headed back to Jerry's for cover while awaiting Cathy Davey and caught Phil Taggart, didn't do much for me. Got under the new cover at the back of Salty Dog and while much appreciated the sound is not great there but still enjoyed Cathy. Called it a night and lovely bus driver dropped me at the end of my brother in laws Road which was very much appreciated. While some highs during the day my mental state made me overall negative about the day and I was clear at that stage that this was my last EP

Saturday

For whatever reason woke on Saturday and the fog around my mind had lifted and I was much more positive. Very little of Saturday was spent in the main arena and it was very enjoyable and obviously no issues with overcrowding. Started with Mr Pink who was a good wake up call. This was followed by Havvk who was very impressive. Naked Lungs were excellent in mind and body and would happily go see them again. Caught Anamoe Drive who are basically Thumper doing slow songs. Good but give me the raucous version over them. Got some happy, bouncing ska from Pontious Pilate and the Naildrivers with Stillills brother showing high levels of energy in bopping around. Caught some Amy Michelle who sounds better recorded than live before the trip down nostalgia lane that is TCM. Rain stopped and sun came out for their set. Great as always and brilliant to see the younger crowd singing along word for word. Some laugh when a young well inebriated lad said it was like reeling in the years. Met up with a number of boardsies including one lurker who said thanks to all contributors as he loves following the conversations. Caught some Stoat in trailer park before Nixer. Like their sound but a bit samesie after a few so left early. Went to see Orla Gartland whose album I have enjoyed since its release. Saw her a few years ago and have to say she has progressed so much as a performer and put on a great show for a very energetic crowd, really enjoyable. Onion boys at trailer park just did not do it for me at all so quickly scarpered. Saint Sister were fantastic but the amount of people chatting drove me mad, people there are acres of fields outside go chat there. Moved on to a full electric arena for Wolf Alice who were brilliant. They referenced their first time at EP in 2014 with 11 in the crowd, one of which was me, but I can tell you they had the 10k or whatever was in the tent, please let's not start that conversation again, in the palm of their hand as if there was only 11, defo one of my weekend highlights. On then for first main stage gig. Having seen Tame Impala pre Covid I knew the light show was brilliant so decided to go to the back of the crowd, just back past soundstage, to watch it properly and it was wonderful. Love their music and thought they did a great set. Was heading to Columbia Mills late on Salty so said I would get a few pints in before bar closed at 1 headed over at 12:35 to see they were shutting up at that stage as had run out of beer, WTF, and ended up having to make do with two Heineken (even at that hour it was a challenge to drink). Columbia Mills in the rain did a decent set with the second half much better than the first. Overall Saturday was a great day for music and my thoughts on future EPs were changing.

Sunday

The amount of shiny white runners i saw on the bus on the way in was funny given what I knew about the walkways. A happy boppy boardsie meet up start to Sunday with the Bootleg Beach Boys followed by San Patricio Mariachi. These both put a big smile on my face. Unlike Saturday a large part of my Sunday was in the main arena so I was interested to see the full effect of the larger crowd and day trippers and to be honest it was better than I expected in terms of movement and feeling of crowding but definitely felt that the usual laid back sense was gone with more people rushing around. Watched the Florentinas who had a good guitar sound and very confident young lads. Caught Dea Matrona who were good musicians but a bit too clichéd for me with their moves, leaning back to back for guitar solos etc. However did a great cover of whole lotta love. Then had one of the horrible clashes of the weekend as CMAT and Mick and Susan clashed. Caught 4 songs with CMAT before leaving, which was hard as she was brilliant and crowd really up for it however Mick and Susan were brilliant and was worth leaving CMAT. While I think Mick has a great voice his music does not do it for me but there is something magical about the two of them together. Went to catch the Deadlians in Trailer Park however when I got there it was Tobi Rex(?). Not my usual cup of tea but were alright. Then my main arena run started with Joy Crookes who was really good, such a beautiful voice and an enthusiastic crowd. Then to James Vincent McMorrow, was concerned the Electric Arena might be too big for him but he drew an impressive crowd and was in fine form. Then for something different from him with Just Mustard who were absolute class and in my top 3 gigs of the weekend. They are such talented musicians, especially the drummer, and over the years the vocals have become more prominent which I think is a plus for the band. Then to come back down from that noise caught Khruangbin who again are class musicians and know how to get a crowd hopping. Decided to miss the start of the Arctics to check out Perfume Genius, have seen him a few times and either brilliant or shocking and thankfully he was brilliant this time. Small crowd, probably due to clash with Arctics, but all seemed to be thoroughly enjoying it. Went then to capture the Arctics but I found them so flat that only hung around for 4 or 5 songs. Back to Salty Dog for a surprise set from Khruangbin that was not quite as good as the earlier one. Had planned capturing Thumper but my legs decided I had had enough so I called an end to my 2022 EP.

Overall

Despite the poorer line up, some bouts of rain, the bigger crowd, loss of body and soul and 3 years older I had a great weekend of music and meet ups and will definitely be trying to get a ticket on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

For anyone that had an issue with Pink moon tents, just got offered a 20% refund and 20% off next booking, worth throwing an e mail at them.

Many great points there @Reded , particularly regarding age and co-existence. I went with my fifty-something pal Conor this year and my 21-year-old nice also attended, both for the first time and each was simultaneously overwhelmed and enthralled by the festival. For all its faults it's streets ahead of anything ever staged on this island and the ambition is immense. I'm not so naive as to believe the corporate stuff will be greatly reduced nor the high prices onsite nor the preponderance of rubbish and lack of effective recycling. Otherwise the festival is an astonishing artistic achievement. Not sure if I'll go in 2023 but there's no way I'll stay away too long.

Wow. That's impressive. That's how it should work. I had a nightmare with Podpads at ATN 2019, they didn't even reply to my email(s). Enraged me so much I swore off posh camping for life. I have also been badmouthing them all over town. I don't think its hit them as badly as I'd hoped.

The only badmouthing I've ever known to be effective is when you contact the head honcho directly (emails often online) or else leave a bad review on Trustpilot. Podpads have a 4.5 rating on the latter, only 54 reviews so one or two bad ones can bring the rating down quite quickly. It's the only site that companies seem to monitor and often contact you directly following a review there, can offer you something in return for the implied removal of the review.

• Advertisement

My tuppence worth. A fair bit of criticism but overall the good far outweighs the bad. On a weekend with heavy rain, a poor lineup and a capacity increase you'd expect a tough weekend but I found it pretty chilled and pleasurable from start to finish. The only issue I had with food queues were in the campsites. I opted to eat mainly in the main arena and where there was a large queue I opted for an alternative smaller one. No longer a wait than 5/6 mins for coffee, 2/3 mins for food, even Kinara Kitchen. I similarly didn't find the increased capacity a bother. I've been there at years where the capacity was half that and where groups charging around made it feel much busier and with less space. I think the changes in layout were therefore almost entirely successful. I also didn't have any issues with lighting on pathways nor signage but I accept that's undoubtedly due to familiarity with the layout.

Negatives

• Loss of Body & Soul - irreplaceable really, the grass amphitheatre main stage there is still excellent but their withdrawal an enormous hole in the fest.
    • Rubbish - greatly a cultural problem that requires another conversation, but FR must come up with some initiatives to counter the mass littering and the effective fly-tipping of tents and other gear. They also need to do more regular rubbish collections outside the main arena.
    • Food pricing - beyond inflationary, but entirely down to FR and not the vendors. The former set the pricing for stalls and undoubtedly higher than is necessary. See also alcohol prices, but this is a losing battle. Only Lagunitas was close to standard pricing given its usual cost and relative strength (6.2%).
    • Lineup - we covered it pre-festival but this really was the poorest set of acts I've ever seen there. I missed some I'd have loved (Sprints, Sack, Trouble Pilgrims, etc) but mainly due to the very best of the bands clashing at the end of each evening. Each afternoon was a struggle for me to fill in. That has never been an issue before. And why so little on Thur night? Bearable if they'd filled up Fri afternoon rather than having the first acts in the EA and Main Stage at 6.45pm. Put some younger Irish acts in the tents or even on the main stage at 1/2. Thumper on the main stage at 1pm would draw a couple of thousand and what a buzz it would be for them. There's also no rational reason why Bright Eyes only had a 45 min slot and Pixies 60 mins. How about 75 for the former and 90 for the latter plus 75 for Fontaines DC to end the evening? The first two acts wouldn't have expected such brief sets.
    • Freetown - under-utilised despite its potential. Provedencia looked great last time, expanded (I think) but all the quirky little rooms are just bars designed to tax your wallet. They can do better. Spike Island seems better though I didn't get there nor to the Cerebral Fortress which sounded brilliant. And why not use Terminus from mid-day to 2am? The crowd may be there for it, seems senseless to have acts on for 4-6 hours a day. Very impressive whenever I was in there, possibly the greatest vast nightclub this island has ever had?

Positives

• Eco - excellent, though one minor quibble is the poor judgement of @rubick, @desk tidy , @Kepler21 and myself in choosing the corner furthest away from the Rave In the Woods whereas @Stillill42 & bros were perceptive enough to grab some prime real estate. Location Location Location.
    • Boardsies - what a bunch. I cannot speak highly enough of you guys, some of the best conversations I had over the weekend and a pleasure to bump into any of you on different occasions over the weekend. To those who've not said hello at this or previous EPs there is no need to be wary. People just meet, chat and then do their own thing. There's no obligation to hang about with anyone any longer than you want to. As well as the aforementioned Eco crew it was great to meet @darzog , @Mucker46 , @HarryTheSpider & partner, @CoffeeImpala , @Thundercats Ho and some others. Apologies if I left your name out and a shame to miss you again @bodhrandude but I'll drop into the Galway pub shortly.
    • Acts - Pixies were underwhelming due to their setlist as I said @rubick but I'd happily see an underwhelming Pixies set every week over almost any other act. Best for me were Little Simz (a star, here's hoping she takes the Mercury tonight), For Those I Love, Fontaines, Nixer (improved as they went on), Thumper, TCM, Tame Impala, Bright Eyes (a mess between tracks I realise but on cue otherwise and the band were excellent), Just Mustard, Khruangbin , Silverbacks and some others. Low returns really.
    • Salty Dog, Trenchtown, Hustle, Trailer Park, Fishtown - they keep delivering.

Another really enjoyable year but my next visit will depend on the lineup. I may buy a loyalty ticket with the option of selling. I expect a better lineup for 2023, particularly more longer-distance acts. 2022 was possibly a blip as post-lockdown realignment continues. I'll be back at some stage anyway, unsure when, and hope to see a few of you there.

Advertisement