Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,238 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The impression/opinion is out there, is the point.

Your 'opinion' of that is your own and worthless tbh. I.E. It is immaterial.

The fact is, it is a factor that will influence the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No it’s not and it won’t affect the next election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Let's be honest, the onus was on Sinn Fein to approach FF or FG with a workable draft of a programme for government. Instead they had a public sulk that the other two large parties weren't approaching them. They've spent so long hurling from the ditch and demonising FF / FG (often through very personalised attacks) that the two traditional "enemies" of Irish politics were happier to work together than to seriously consider SF as a coalition partner. Vitriolic on-line campaigns that try to paint Fine Gael as a far right party (or the likes of Varadkar as Thatcherite Tories) may well play well to the galleys but they do little to convince floating voters and centrists that Sinn Fein are to be taken seriously.

Politics is, at it's heart, the art of compromise. Sinn Fein have yet to demonstrate any inclination to be amenable to compromise in the Republic of Ireland, choosing instead to pursue a more American or British style of antagonistic politics that, while suited to the first past the post, dual party systems in those jurisdictions, doesn't play well here outside of the angry young wannabe revolutionaries whose votes SF can only lose to the likes of PBP.

To put it more bluntly: if Sinn Fein want a seat at the grown ups table, they need to start acting like grown ups. Were I a political strategist in their employ, I'd be encouraging Sinn Fein to stop with the personal attacks and reach across the divide: to find some low hanging issues of common interest with Fianna Fail deputies, co-author some bills with them and demonstrate a willingness as a party to work together to get those bills turned into legislation. An election candidate who can point to some legislative achievement is far more worthy of consideration to floating voters, and a party you've a track record of working with in the past is a far more appealing prospective coalition partner than one who's spent the past term of government hurling abuse at you.

That post is full of the entitlement and ownership culture that was pointed out earlier.

That is just a 'view' of what happened and I am not really interested in it.

The FACT is there are other views

IMO FF know that it was seen as a lockout by a significant amount of the vote they need, and they know they won't get away with it again.

Hence the change in their attitude, even Martin is not brave (stupid) enough to rule out talks.

FG study groups have probably told them they aren't getting that vote anyway, so can stridently rule out talks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, any party has a right to negotiate a coalition, but they don't have a right to demand that others negotiate with them, particularly if they have castigated those other parties and claimed they wanted a government without them. In those circumstances, some diplomacy, some tact, some compromise are needed. SF displayed none of that after the last election, and very little since.

Without changing, SF are likely to stay in opposition for quite some time.

If a coalition has a majority of seats, they have a mandate from the people. Simple as. Those going around crying, whinging and moaning that somehow democracy was denied or frustrated because SF didn't end up in government, either don't understand democracy or don't understand mathematics.

It is now interesting watching Labour under Bacik differentiate themselves from SF in how they do business and in their policies. She sees a path back to government without SF.

If SF do get into government, they will make the 2016 meltdown of Labour look like a minor setback. PBP would be rubbing their hands in delight at the prospect of a SF/FF government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Very well said.

The issues with SF are well known.

The online rhetoric and mob mentality, the whitewashing and revisionism of their history, to their populist agenda to all things like Climate Change, the Special Criminal Court and Property Tax. To block housing developments at a local level but give out about it at the central government level.

To many people, SF is just not grown up enough to manage the country. They are good at stoking anger, and resentment and spouting easy solutions to complex and difficult problems, but governing is hard and SF to me has no capacity to govern in a reasonable and mature fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Of course it's just a view, but I suspect it's a fairly commonly held one, certainly among FF / FG members i.e. those Sinn Fein will have to work with if they expect to be part of any government after the next election (unless they somehow manage an outright majority or close enough to it that the likes of Michael Lowry or the Healy Raes can be bribed to support a government).

I'd agree with you that Fine Gael only benefit from ruling out talks with Sinn Fein but I can't imagine they needed a focus group to determine it.

I think your opinion of FF voters is optimistic in the extreme. They're not a party of idealists, they're cute hoor pragmatists with a penchant for economy destroying, populist tax-cuts and jobs-for-the-boys and their core supporters know that: they're the very boys and girls working in those jobs (or their retired on a good state pension parents). While there may be a few republican idealists in the mix, there won't be enough of them that share your opinion about a "lockout" to matter and, certainly the vast majority of their membership know only too well how minority coalition partners fared when in government with Fianna Fail to even consider placing themselves in that position with Sinn Fein.

I think your point about 'not enough of them to matter' doesn't stack up to developments/reality.

FF have said they will enter talks, a huge step down from MM's 2020 position.

That can only indicate one thing - those votes are important to them. They know where this is going IOW.

They are looking to their future and survival.

That will play into SF's ambition to form a goverment IMO. ANd you don't have to be a supporter or like any of the parties to see this.

Irish politics is being forced to change, fundamentally.

• Advertisement

Another good point.

My folks would be core FF voters. They are both retired and are on a good public service pension.

They are very worried about SF getting into government and destroying the economy. They wouldn't be outright hostile to SF on a matter of ideology or principle as say someone from a more hardline FG background, as they share similar beliefs with SF about Irish Republicanism, Northern Ireland and the Irish Langauge and Culture. Yet, they are overtly hostile to SF as a matter of pragmatism and wouldn't want the good work that Ireland has made over the last 40-50 years flushed down the toilet to appease SF's populist economic rhetoric. They don't see the maturity in SF to come to the table and act like big boys.

I would wager they are not alone in the FF gene pool who think like that.

That demographic is not where the battleground is and FF know it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Undoubtedly. Suspect there is a larger segment who never thought they were voting for a SF govt though hard to know for sure.

The core point remains silly. The only people who think SF were "frozen out undemocratically/unfairly" are people who are predisposed to vote for SF anyway and didn't get what they wanted. Just because a perception exists among certain people does not mean you need to care or validate it. There is, ironically, a deeply undemocratic bent to those pedalling the notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Irish politics is being forced to change, fundamentally."

Who is doing this forcing?? Is this SF policy - to force change? Unfortunate choice of words if so?

Irish political landscape is changing, more fracturing of the vote among a greater number of parties and independents. So coalitions seem likely to be how it is for quite a while. But coalitions are essentially relationships and other parties don't want to get into bed with SF.

So Francie, go for your overall majority and then you can do what you want.

That may be, as I said. But if it were the case that it was not being 'validated' within FF they would be holding to their 2020 line.

They aren't.

That, regardless of what you, or I or others think of the parties, is going to be a factor in whether SF can form a government or not.

Being interested in other views is the first task of compromise.

You have eloquently displayed in your post the problems that SF had and will continue to have in doing business with other parties. SF and their supporters need to learn that demanding and shouting won't make a deal.

As for the so-called change in attitude, I don't see it. I expect that FF will say during the election campaign that SF can't be trusted with justice and defence or the public finances. So it will be a limited opening to coalition, designed so that they can quickly rule it out afterwards and continue with the current government.

• Advertisement

That is your view.

The other one is that the 'problem' SF had and those that voted for them, was the reluctance of FF and FG to let go of power. They did something unique in 100 years of the state in order to hold on.

SF's support in the polls has grown in the interim and is still rising.

Again, the reality is there for all to see (that there are different views) and the point is, it will play large in the next GE campaigns and aftermath.

My view of FF or yours of SF is not really relevant to discussing the above.

With every post you make, the difficulties that SF have become clearer. The dismissal of other viewpoints, the retreat into historical injustices, the insulting tone, it could almost be Pearse or Mary-Lou talking. It didn't persuade anyone after the last election, it is not persuading me or other posters now, and it won't work after the next election either.

I've taken onboard all viewpoints. They exist and are having effect.

Not sure you have TBH.

You seem more interested in venting your dislike for SF. Have at it. It's irrelevant to a discussion of the realties of the politics here.

Sure, SF are doing well luring in young voters, but as I mentioned, younger voters are nowhere near as loyal as older voters and if SF don't fix the issues they say they can easily fix, younger voters will leave them in droves and SF will be back to fighting it out with Labour in the single %

• Advertisement

Correct.

If you want to see how hard a coalition government will be for SF, just talk to their supporters. Their view is the only one that really matters, according to them anyway.

Not at all.

SF, like Labour in 2011 is over-promising which means they will underdeliver. We see it in SF rhetoric all the time, where when it comes to tricky issues, they sit on the fence, like the Carbon reduction plan for the Agri sector. At least FF, FG and the Greens got into a room to thrash out a deal.

SF ran away, yet again when asked to show its cards. When you govern, you cannot do that. Often times there is a bad choice and worse choice.

Why does this matter, because if or when SF are in government, their new supporters will find out that there is no Pot of Gold behind that rainbow.

Discussion is about how SF can form a government.

Your crystal ball stuff about when they are in a government is for another thread.

It is patently obvious when you see some of the responses on this thread, that the singular approach and dismissal of other views is a problem for SF. We see that in their approach to a united Ireland also, where a one solution only approach alienates many.

The only 'dismissal' on view here is your dismissal of the view that FF and FG clung to power.

That view exists and is having an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Are they going to run at least two candidates in every constituency? Otherwise they can't the seats to get into government!

If they don't run enough candidates what does it say?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dastardly bastards, "clinging" to power by nefariously forming a majority government.

It remains an utterly bizarre framing.

SF would be best spending their time wondering why exactly FF would not go into power with them and whether they can do anything to fix that rather than moaning about how unfair it all is. I do not understand why you are framing the question of how SF form a government as something in the agency of the other parties.

As I said, I'm not really interested in your view of 'a view' that is out there and is having a material affect on FF and at least some of their TD's and members.

In my view, FF's fear of being linked to a cling to power with FG, (of all party's) will factor into negotiations on the formation of the next government, if current polling plays out in a GE. It already has as demonstrated, at least 20(from which a new leader may emerge) TD's with no issues and MM rowing back and now saying FF would negotiate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

It is a better spin to blame every other party than admit the lack of ability for SF to partner with any political party North or South of the border.

• Advertisement

How they can form a government?

Treat other parties like normal and drop the perpetual and advisorial robotic narrative about 'Power swaps' and the like. That would be a good first step.

There was nothing 'normal' about a coalition after 100 years of the state Mark. Please!

That view exists only on Twitter and Social Media and the like. Those platforms, however, are not the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So we agree its likely many voting FF or even Green, weren't voting to keep FG in power.

I can't say how SF voters feel. I would imagine knowing the numbers weren't there explains it. MM chose FG to form a coalition. They didn't run as one entity.

Here is mainstream media with the same view in reverse. This journalist believes they should hold on to power and not 'hand it over'. 😁

That ownership and entitlement again.

The 'arrogance of power' is a well recognised ailment and it is understandable after 100 years but not forgivable in a democracy. Maybe that is another reason for FF pulling back from doing it again?

The voters gave enough seats to FF and FG to form a government. How that can be classified as "clinging" to power is utterly bizarre.

The SF approach to the results of the last election and their "exclusion" from power contain worrying echoes of the Trumpian approach to losing the Presidential Election. We have a democratically elected government, end of.

And if SF increase their seats, but this current government still retains a majority after the next election and elects to continue its work, that will also be a fully democratic outcome. However, I am really worried that SF will up the ante, resort to street protests or worse, in an attempt to subvert democracy because there is no sign that they have grasped the reality of coalition government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,267 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It was perfectly normal as it reflected the wishes of the majority of the electorate.

Should it be sent to the army council?

Are you truly against political parties with a majority of seats forming a coalition? That is their entitlement, is it not?

If the people vote in sufficient numbers to return this government, even with a reduced majority, is it not their entitlement to hold onto power?

The only sense of entitlement I am getting is from SF supporters who believe that even though they didn't get a majority and are both unwilling and unable to compromise sufficiently to form a coalition government, that all others should step aside and bow down to SF and wave them into government. That is the ultimate arrogance, the ultimate entitlement.

The point made has nothing to do with my view. I did not take ownership anywhere of the view out there. Please stop the barrister routine and deal with the points made.

• Advertisement

That is very concerning if true. If a view exists that FF and FG clung to power in frustration of the democratic will of the people, that view is both untrue and undemocratic.

If it is having an effect as you say, that is really worrying for democracy. We voted for this government, just like we voted for every government in the history of the state. Claiming that somehow people are "clinging" to power when they won a democratic mandate is deeply subverting and anti-democratic. It is very similar to the claims made by Trump and his supporters following the last US Presidential election.

Had it been a SF-FF government, you would have voted for that too.

Not sure what your point is after that.

I have said more than once, that 'rightly or wrongly' the view is out there and FF have responded it to it in such a way that IMO they won't want to be seen to do it again. There are also other reasons why they won't be keen to ally or coalesce with FG.

I wouldn't have voted for a SF-FF government, but I would have accepted that we, the people, would have voted for a SF-FF government, and that it was a perfectly acceptable democratic outcome. That is where we differ.

Yes, you have said that the view is out there, and I have explained why such a view is both subversive and anti-democratic.

FF won't go into government as a junior party to anyone. Rotating Taoiseach, equal Ministries, that is the price they will demand. If SF twice their size give them that, SF will look weak. FG, which I expect to be a slightly bigger party, could afford to be magnaminous, particularly if they get more on policy.

How often do I have to say it, your view, my view, podge's view of that view is irrelevant.

The fact is IMO it is having an effect on FF positioning and will influence what they do after the next GE.

This IMO will aid SF in forming a government.

Being interested in other views is the first task of compromise.

How does this fit with FG refusing to talk to SF or MM announcing he wouldn't go in to coalition with FG because the country wanted change?

Its obvious that the historic unprecedented partnership of FF and FG was more to do with maintaining power than anything else. It was 'do we want to be in government and how do we want to go about it?'.

I would imagine there was a lot of disappointment in all parties, including FG, when this coalition was announced.

I expect MM to retire and then we don't know what will happen. There are people who will vote for their party regardless, but the real king makers are the floating voters.

It isn't a matter of opinion as to whether a particular view is undemocratic or subversive, it is a matter of fact. If you express a view that a democratically elected government doesn't have a mandate, then you are expressing an undemocratic view. That someone might choose to agree with that view or not is a matter of their opinion, but it doesn't change the fact that the view itself is undemocratic.

To use another example, Trump's view that he won the election is undemocratic, but you are free to agree with him, just as you are free to agree with the undemocratic opinion that this government doesn't have a democratic mandate.

I would never impinge on anyone's right to agree with an opinion, no matter how bizarre, how factually wrong or undemocratic that opinion is.

• Advertisement

The coalition has a mandate. The claim was the specific make up of a FF/FG/Green government was chosen by the public. If that's the case does that mean SF, Lab, SD etc. don't? If they went FF/FG/SD would it mean the Greens didn't have a mandate? Every elected person has a democratic mandate, the make up of a government isn't decided by the public. Otherwise FF/FG/Green would have been on the ballot as an option.

FG and FF's view that SF are unfit for government is contested, the polls are showing that. Particularly by a younger cohort that FF cannot afford to lose. FG seem to be happy to appeal to an older vote and allow the haemorrhaging of it's erstwhile younger voter. That is their own business.

All factors in a forthcoming GE. If we are discussing how SF will form a government, those factors are in play.

That's if we are discussing the topic and not our own views.

FG and FF's view that SF are unfit for government is not what I was saying. In fact, nobody has mentioned that. Your response is bizarre.

I was pointing out that a view that the current government lacks a democratic mandate is both undemocratic and subversive, as well as being untrue.

Why are you introducing a strawman argument at this point?

I think you are mixed up. Nobody made the claim that the specific make-up of a FF/FG/Green government was chosen by the public.

Instead, the subversive, untrue and undemocratic view that this government lacks a democratic mandate has been claimed to be out there, and to be influencing FF, and certain posters have equivocated on whether they support that view.

I take it from your post that you agree with me that the current coalition have a democratic mandate and that any views to the contrary are incorrect.

Who said the 'current government lacks a mandate', I never said that was the view.

I said the view was that FF and FG conspired to lock a party out of power or to hold onto it themselves. They are entitled to do that, but they are also entitled to be criticised for it.

I am not aware of many who hold the view that the government 'lack a mandate'.

Are you trying too hard to find something 'subversive' maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement