Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mox's promo was spot on.

Death Triangle deserved Trio's champions.

The American Dragon vs Hangman was great.

Yuta & Garcia was everything I expected and having two of the greatest ever vying for Garcia is just great old fashioned storytelling done brilliantly.

We don't like turtles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Glad they went with Death Triangle for the trios, just put on banger after banger with them.

Like the layout of the tournament, I'd belt up Dragon and give him a lengthy run to restore some stability. Cracking match with Hangman.

Garcia/Yuta was so good, definitely the right result too. Push the AEW homegrowns all the way.

Loved the Mox promo.

Obviously people are chomping at the bit for more negative AEW press but the Rosa release story was shot down pretty quickly. Laughable to see some of the more vocal anti wrestling writers on here taking the word of the Ringside News Twitter page as gospel!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Dave didn't like MJF going after WWE this week. "Not the week to do this."

The rare occasion I agree with Meltzer. For good or bad, loads of eyes are on AEW now and you have a guy, heel or not, saying he can't wait to join HHH, Khan and Cody in the real company with real fans. The WWE references are tired but if you're gonna do it, do it better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought aswell they should have kept up the MJF being a pretend changed man for a while longer and have a face win the tournament and then you have the big turn back for MJF

just thought he switched back way too sudden

Looks like Christian also has a torn tricep and is under going surgeryand will be out for 6 to 8 months.

At least Christain can be used in a manager role maybe to elevate another young talent to take out Jungle Boy.

• Advertisement

Will Punk cover his best mate Ace Steel legal fees if they do end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

that was as good as episode as possible after the press conference stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ThePott

Decent Dynamite, certainly had it's hands tied with everything that happened.

I understand them not talking about what happened but it is weird that if you didn't follow the dirt sheets you'd have no clue why everyone was stripped of titles. Also hoping that isn't the end of the action, as stripping a guy who can't wrestle for 8 months and suspending him feels like nothing considering he can't wrestle anyway, at the very least hope they have mediated a bit so if Punk does come back it won't happen again.

MJF's promo was interesting but agree that it wasn't the right time for it. Not surprised they didn't run with the fake face turn though, never came off as insincere. Mox's promo was fantastic and exactly what was needed. Relying on mostly day one talent was a nice touch too and a message that regardless of what happens, AEW will be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"I understand them not talking about what happened but it is weird that if you didn't follow the dirt sheets you'd have no clue why everyone was stripped of titles."

On the other hand....how do you bring it up on a wrestling show that you're stripping people of titles because they had a fight backstage, when that routinely happens on your shows weekly in kayfabe 😂

I see your point but I think they could have spun it if they needed to. "Following an unsanctioned fight in the locker room between our in-ring talent that endangered some our personnel, we have no choice but to strip them of the titles and suspend them". Something to that effect.

I mean even the Press Scrum isn't all that kayfabe based but I just find it so bizarre that someone could be out there, turns on Dynamite and all of a sudden your first trios champions are stripped and so is the newly crowned world champion with no mention as of why.

It's even weirder when people around here give **** to the dirtsheets when in this case, it literally only makes sense if you follow them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Mox had a great promo and was the perfect foil to MJF's bluster (whilst also trying to make it clear that AEW is still going strong in spite of all the mess (or at least, that's what they want you to think). Was great seeing MJF trying to appear as a good guy and then snapping to make sure everyone knows he's still a heel - it's something we've seen people like Bailey

Delighted for Garcia and well deserved (no slight to Yuta though, I think he's great too).

The tournament for the title isn't a bad way to pivot. Broadly agree with folks about the inclusion of Sammy over some other choice candidates, but I guess they can only book with who's available and there is a very large cat amongst the pigeons at the moment. Hangman and Danielson had a great match though and there should be a few more before it's over.

Storm and Ford wasn't a bad match. Death Triangle vs Best Friends was a blast. An enjoyable show in spite of the messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pac has two belts

2 Pac

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Find it kind of strange that they had to justify Bryan being in the tournament by saying he's a 6 time World champion. Didn't realise the title changed hands so often in the past 3 years. And he's only been there 1 year. 😀

I see Tony did a pre record since he knew it likely wouldn't have gone well if he tried it live.

So Punk would have had to vacate the title anyway with that injury which more than likely at his age and body breaking down easily would have been the end of his in ring career anyway.

Part of me is now wondering did he know that deep down that it was over for him at the end of the match and decided to go out all guns blazing instead of fading away.

There was some boos for him on the video, he would have been annihilated live.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ive dealt with a narcissist most of my life. And I’ve often seen it that one thing can set them off, and when they’re ignited, they will run through a script of every grievance they can think of. Bringing up the most vapid, inconsequential **** from three decades ago.

Id say it’s likely he knew he’d hurt himself badly again, lost his temper, and in a display of Narcissism 101, lost his head and just vented every frustration he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,686 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I'm thinking it's Danielson's story - beats Jericho next to make amends for the recent loss, and then beats Mox in the final.

I could also see Garcia and Yuta swapping sides. Yuta sitting forlorn in the corner on the ground while Danielson makes a big show of celebrating Garcia, could be good fuel to start his feelings of discontent with BCC. Or maybe when Danielson beats Mox, there's a split in BCC, and Danielson separates with protege Garcia, while Mox mentors Yuta.

If the BCC stays together another while, could see Hayter joining too, now that she's finally split from Brit. Or at very least, Regal takes her under his wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

i think we saw Punk at his absolute worst in that Press Conference. Arrogant, confrontational, hostile and pretty nasty. Khan just sitting there saying and doing nothing was pathetic. Do any of the wrestlers have any respect for him? Or just consider him to be a mega rich kid mark? Judging by the deterioration of the locker room, I’d guess it’s unlikely.Khan needs to step up now.

as for punk, part of that seems a bit unhinged with possible mental health and anger issues. Think we may have seen the last of him in a ring.

lastly can someone explain why exactly was Punk so pissed off with whatever Hangman said in a promo? What’s the problem? The fact that Page seems to be pretty much adored in the locker room and the only one we know has a problem with him is Punk, says a lot about CM in my view

I think it stems back from Page bringing up the fact Punk was a hypocrite about workers rights in a promo. Punk seemed to take it as an unscripted shot about Cabana (who presumably Hangman gets on well with, and at the very least was part of the stable right up until Punk signed), a topic that’s a complete no-no for Punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I wonder what Brandi meant by her tweet last night, "I have been too f**king nice"

Both her and Cody haven't said a (shoot) word about their time in AEW, or why they left to go to WWE. Are there NDAs? Are they just being professional?

Bobby Fish isn't a fan

KENTA WINS

Saw Fish talking about how AEW dropped the ball not doing ReDragon and the Bucks.

I know it was a case of bad timing injury wise but would have loved a full programme of the Elite and TUE. Shame it didn't pan out.

WON saying MJF was a “neutral observer” in the whole fracas backstage. He was in the room where it happened though obviously wasn’t physically involved or he’d be suspended too.

Meltzer on Rosa.

Regarding the Thunder Rosa injury, Dave said that one of the problems is a lot of people in wrestling think she’s not hurt, but he is told that the back injury is legit, and she stopped wrestling because of the fear she would need surgery if she kept going. As said before, because she told of the injury hours after being told she would be dropping the title to Toni Storm on the PPV, it created a lot of conjecture about it with the Shawn Michaels in the 90s comparisons. 

Dave continued that the women’s side of the promotion, while not as explosive as the men this past week, did have divisive issues regarding Rosa before the injury and even more after because she didn’t drop it in the ring before taking the time off. There was a lot of division among many of the women and Rosa, basically the ones who made public comments that insinuated her injury wasn’t that bad or those who privately felt due to the timing of her saying her injury was serious and she’d need time off after being told she was dropping the title to Toni Storm. 

In the end, Dave said Thunder Rosa does really have a back injury, that much is confirmed. As noted before, it is an injury that many people would have worked with to drop the title in the ring, and a doctor would likely tell them they wouldn’t be smart working on it. So you can see the mindset of the women who have said what they have said publicly like Storm and Britt Baker and how that has led to issues here.

So the rabble in the locker room are now accusing the most professional woman in the company of feigning injury?

She's a mother, a wife, and a respected wrestler throughout the world.

She doesn't need to jeopardise herself for a Dave Meltzer rating or a viral clip.

UFC had it's own backstage fight last night as well.

The presser was called off what was called a complete sh1t show erupts backstage.

4 UFC stars and their entourages went at it.

Even Dana one of the greatest promoters of all time looked like a deer in headlights when he was told what was happening backstage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Even Dana one of the greatest promoters of all time

And a colossal cúnt who pays his fighters a pittance.

But a generous man according to CM Punk. Just another example of his hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The big part of the issue seems to be the timing, Rosa was denying and fighting through the injury then right after she's told she's dropping the belt to Storm she decides to take a break.. I can see why Storm would be pissed

Advertisement