Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratings watch thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It really shows that neither RTÉ or VMTV even though of preparing for the soaps changes.

I think or the first time an Episode of Emmerdale got into the top position with 225,000 viewers, for VMTV one/UTV Ireland/TV3. RTÉ One's Fair City on Sunday Night had 298,000 viewers, while Tuesday night had 246,000 viewers, both episodes having no competition from Coro or Emmerdale, however Fair City on Wednesday had 183,000 compared to 185,000 viewers for Coro St and on Thursday 174,000 viewers compared to Emmer's 173,000.

Medialive splits the Double Ep of Coro St in two, which is a pity because we might see how well VMTV is doing further down the list.

If I was RTÉ I'd have moved Fair City to 7pm and 8pm on Tuesday and Thursday wrapping them around EastEnders and only hitting Emmers on Thursday Night. Or improved Nationwide, it will be interest to see how News at 7 did. I would have also moved Doctors to 6:30 on 2 and Home and Away to 7pm to take advantage of the change, as BBC2 have done.

It's a pity no one in the Irish press would ask these questions.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Perhaps Doctors will be shown teatime on RTE 2 once neighbors leaves the schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think Doctors has started horrendously on BBC2 (got something like 1 or 2% share of available audience at 7pm), so it might not last that long in that slot.

RTE2 should be looking at something different than creating this soap block. I still feel Shortland Street isn't a RTE2 show, and doesn't look right there.

It's not a great show, typically daytime soap like, they possibly need to improve the writing before the move.

I agree but RTÉ2 has no real shows or identity anymore, RTÉ could have decided to put a repeat of Fair City or EastEnders on 2 at 7pm and it possibly would have seen its 7pm slot increase in audience.

Shortland St is not an RTÉ2 show at all, purely there as part of a block of Soaps.

______

Yesterday

Sky News at 2.5% in February, now that is with the news of the War, but a significant increase.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

The figures you quote are only for live viewers ie. those who watch exactly when the programme is being broadcast. They also exclude under 15s. These figures are increasing meaningless as huge numbers of people watch programmes such as the soaps later in the evening or on another day and are not counted in Medialive's figures. Something like Dancing With The Stars could have a Medialive live figure of 350,000 but jump to 600,000 when all viewing including people watching on time-delay or via recording or catch-up is included.

They're important to advertisers. Those watching on catch-up/ recording it will skip the ads.

Exactly, which is why the soaps are increasingly reliant on product placement as fewer people are watching them live and therefore are not being exposed to the commercials in the ad breaks. Scheduling is nowhere near as important as it used to be. If you are a fan of a particular soap you will just set it to season record or watch on player.

DWTS is pretty much on the same trajectory as other Sunday night entertainment shows, likely to get 1 more season. Live is particularly important to such a show.

It would be interesting to know how the soaps worked out that week over all, including plus 1 and the players. Particularly clashing episodes.

If only someone could email RTÉ or VMTV to see how each individual episode did last week across, live, same day viewing, +1s, daytime repeats, and viewing within 7days of broadcast.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

BBC Northern Ireland recorded a figure for Neighbours in the late 80s including lunchtime 13.30 viewing and the 17.35 repeat which was a 69% viewership of all Northern Ireland exceeding one million viewers. An episode of Coronation Street broadcast on Ulster Television in 1989 had an audience of more than 60% of the population of Northern Irelabd.

RTÉ2 was recording audience of 500,000 viewers for Home and Away in the late 80s/early 90s with a similar figure for Coro St, Coro St when moved to RTÉ1 was reaching over 900,000 viewers. and then you can also ad UTV's audience for both shows.

It would be interesting to see the total audience for these soaps now. I wonder how many people repeat watch the soaps.

______

Yesterday

It would be interesting to see how programming is doing on both the RTÉ Player and on Virgin Media Player, along with the +1 channels. 7days and 28days and how well a repeat did in the lead into its airing on each of the players.

The +15 adult live viewing is way down, is this in part due to the change of Soap Opera schedules? or is this a move away from the traditional live TV with shows retaining their audiences online?

I don't think I have see a rating of 117,000 viewers for RTÉ ONE's number 20 before (EastEnders) and the last 3 weeks has seen TLLS stagnate on 360,000 viewers at number 1.

TV3/VMTV one had 69,000 at number twenty for The Tonight Show, the lowest number since they took back the ITV soaps, while Coronation St in first place was below 200,000 viewers for the first time, AFIAK.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Thanks for these. I remember the LLS under Tubridy had a consistent 450k viewers for most of the last decade but that seems to have dropped markedly.

TLLS seemed to start dropping in the 2018/2019 season and into the 2019/2020 season but appeared to grow due to a number of specials and COVID but its dropped massively since April into now into May, this could be due to the longer days.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jaysis the Late Late down to 360k, thats a bit of a shocker no? I thought they consisently got 450-500k and then more for some shows like specials.

If 360k or even 400k is their new base I wouldnt be all that surprised, Im mainly surprised in how long it took actually. Like the quality of the guests has gone way down hill and there is only so long you can revolve the carousel of the same people before people start turning off. Like they have their country special every year (fair enough) but now when they are desperate for guests they invite all the same people back for a mini country special then they'll invite a few of them on for single interviews throughtout the season. Theres only so much people have to say before it gets boring very quickly.

Funnily enough during Covid they had their best guests in years since the days of Gay Byrne. All done on Zoom, you had Bruce Srpingsteen and lots of other Hollywood A listers. If famous folk of that standing are willing to do Zoom interviews I dont know why they dont continue that on. Instead they've gone back to the same old tired Irish guests and chatting to someone in the audience about some random sh1te that is of little interest to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Master Anorak

I think that the rose of Tralee didn't do particularly well in the ratings ? I thinkh that because I didn't see any news stories whatsoever about the ratings

It did relatively well not sure about the player audience but the final had 430,000 adult viewers while the opening at 8pm on Monday saw Coronation Street lose a few viewers, Coro St averaging 140,000 viewer and RoT getting 226,000 viewers on Monday Night.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Butson

All depends on how its performing on catch up really.

It's an on -demand world so one could make the case that for a linear tv audience 360k is pretty good, as long as another 100k are watching over the weekend on the player. If they are not, then yes it's bad.

I can't imagine 100,000 viewers over the course of 7days or even a month tuning in for TLLS, same for RoT. It would be interesting to know.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

One thing I've noticed in recent weeks is that the soap figures have really fallen this year, with even the top episode of Corrie only registering 190,000 - of course, they tend to dip slightly during the summer, but being on a par with Killinaskully repeats will be worrying Ballymount. Elsewhere, 342k for LLS is decent, but unexceptional by its own standards, and 236k will be regarded as disappointing for North Sea Connection considering the heavy promotion the series received. By contrast, 148k is relatively healthy by the usual metrics of women's sport for Ireland v Finland, and can grow further for October's play-off.

Since the changes to the schedule they have been down, but I'd be more inclined to think that people catch up on the players.

I didn't think LLS figures were great for an opening episode and I am less inclined to think that people catch up with it on the player.

I watch neither Soap or LLS.

It comes after Harry Wilde so this may be the reason, but a good showing tbh, if it see a further drop next week it won't have won the audience.

As for the soccer good for soccer but no so good for everything else on RTÉ2, what stands out is 30,000 viewers for Shortland Street!

______

Yesterday

Is 30k more or less viewers then Neighbors was getting at 6pm?

Unsure, Neighbour rarely got into the top twenty (adults +15) figure but when it did it had 50,000 viewers. RTÉ2 list are well below anything they have seen before, The Year That Rock The World at 20 had just 28,000 viewers, while at 4 Freddie: The Final Act had just 52,000 viewers.

______

Yesterday

What was the Simpsons getting before it got moved from the 6pm slot? I guessed that the reason they removed it from 6pm was so they wouldn't have to pay to show it twice when RTE 2+1 came along

I never thought about that being a reason for the move of The Simpsons, however AFAIK the deal the broadcasters make when they buy in programming is as follows

On the day of broadcast they have the right to show the same episode at any time over the next 24 hour period from the first airing that day

Generally over the course of a year they get between 3 and 5 repeats of a show.

E.G. if RTÉ2 repeated E1S1 of The Simpsons today at 6pm they can repeat it as many times as they like until 6pm the following day, but if they repeat it at 6pm tomorrow its considered one of the repeats.

I could be wrong.

I assume the move was partly do suggest that TRTÉ hadn't move its hours back and that they could consider The Simpsons as part of TRTÉ hours, but also that the Simpsons had been on repeat since the late-1990s, I fully assumed they would replace Neighbours with The Simpsons and thought it would have boosted the audience at that time.

______

Yesterday

So did Virgin media need to get the ministers permission to put this joke channel VM4 on the air? Isn't it a disgrace that virgin cam put all these junk channels on but RTE couldn't get approval for RTE Three ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

VM don’t need to get the Minister’s permission, RTE do. Different licensing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Anyone know the combined total for Shortland Street, RTE One and Two and the player?

• Advertisement

I don't see any need for a RTE3, seeing how miserable looking those figures are for RTE2. Removal of kids tv from RTE2 would be the first start if they were to try anything.

Advertisement