Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options
  • 08-09-2022 1:23pm

Buckingham Palace said Thursday that Queen Elizabeth II is under medical supervision because doctors are “concerned for Her Majesty’s health,” as members of her family traveled to be with the 96-year-old monarch in Scotland.

“Following further evaluation this morning, the Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision,” the palace said in a statement that sparked deep concern.

Has clearly not been well for a while and has had to withdraw from several important engagements, particularly over the last year or so, and Charles has taken over many of her duties recently.

Threadbans

Dyr

How Soon Is Now

TimeLadsPlease

sligeach

?Brian

mikewest

Man vs Manure

waterwelly

suckler

downcow

Bayonet

namloc1980

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its been quite evident since her Husband died that she has deteriorated into old age very quickly after being in remarkably good nick into her early 90s.

Whatever you think about the folly of Monarchy, she has done well to live to such an age and reign for 70 years.

Its often said that Balmoral is her favourite home, where she can be herself and enjoy the Estate. It could be that her Doctors and family plan to have her remain there, with support and should she die soon, it will be in a place most peaceful for her and for the family to gather in the immediate aftermath. One thing is for sure, the funeral will be a Circus, so the family should take whatever personal time they can in the early dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Another bank holiday, or possibly 2 for the people of the UK so that'd be a nice benefit for them when she does RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Without wishing to sound unsympathetic, I wonder if she hung on until Boris the Boor was gone and could not have any input or involvement in her funeral.

Whatever your views, it will be the end of an era, and all the energy crises, climate change, Brexit etc. will just go to the back page for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's 2, one for the funeral and one for the coronation, can't see her lasting the weekend if Buckingham Palace are releasing statements like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going by the bruise on the back of her hand likely she's been on a drip. Her mother made it past a hundred, but she was widowed early enough, so more chance of a second wind of sorts.

Truss is the fifteenth prime minister of her country she's "appointed" and she kicked off with Churchill. She's lived through a large chunk of her country's modern history. When she grew up they still had an empire, now that's all gone and even their Union looks shaky at times. When she does go, a huge part of what was Britain and how it sees itself will go with her. To be replaced by what is another question. I can also see their Commonwealth changing too in its relationship to Britain after she's gone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Yeah things definitely have taken a turn for the worse.

Usually it's along the lines of "Her Majesty is going to take some rest per doctor's advice."

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted - this is not something to make fun of

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't remember her looking so elderly and frail .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It sounds like it is just general 'old age' which has caught up with her, rather than developing a specific illness. People nearing the end can suddenly rapidly go downhill, which may be what is happening here.

I did think during her Christmas message last year that she looked very frail and old and this might be her last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

notes were also passed to the PM and opposition leader in the commons today, so indeed this is looking like a bank holiday in the UK in the immediate future

more worryingly, the BBC interrupted an episode of Bargain Hunt before the days winners could be announced, so this REALLY must be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looks to have lost some serious weight, not a good sign…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Looks like rehearsals for operation London Bridge should begin

I remember being across the sea during the Diamond Jubilee and it was one hell of a spectacle, an incredible celebration.

I can only imagine what the mourning will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m wondering that. Doesn’t everyone die of something specific though? What kinds of ailments might lead to the demise of someone her age, that can come on suddenly?

Whatever happens, I wish her comfort and hope she is not in pain.

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Harry and Meghan travelling to Balmoral, think this probably gives the best indication of the seriousness of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

This definitely appears to be the beginning of her end. I don’t think BBC 1 have transferred over to full BBC news coverage for any other medical reports. Can’t remember yer man’s name hosting the news but he’s in black already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You could say that technically an old person dies of some specific thing, but in reality with a person in their mid to late 90s, the system just shuts down when it's time to go and it sounds like HM is displaying the warning signs of someone who may be about to pass away.

She's had a great innings anyway and it seems like she has been in rude health for nearly all her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

She's 96 years of age, so while it would still be very sad for her family and country if she did go now, it couldn't be said she didn't get a very good innings. I wonder if there's any chance of Prince Charles deciding to 'skip' himself and allow the crown to pass down to Prince William instead? I don't know if that could even be done at all, but it seems like it would be a good chance to get a fresh face in there. Prince Charles's reign would be, even with the best will in the world, relatively short.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Harry been summoned too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Heart could be failing, or maybe she's had a stroke?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

EOQRTL threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

CNN medical expert pointing out the decision not to move her to hospital suggests things are either basically okay or pretty ominous. But if the former why is Buckingham Palace releasing statements...

As soon as the Queen dies, Charles will be king but far as I know, parliament could hand the crown to William, upon Charles' request.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Going to the funeral of a 98 year old lady tomorrow. She just gave up in the last 2 weeks, nothing particularly was wrong with her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I reckon there are a slew of countries who are waiting for her reign to end before becoming Republics.

Why would you move a dying 96 year from the comfort of their home, surrounded by their children, where they are receiving medical and nursing care, to a hospital just to die? The transfer alone would be enough to finish her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not watching it but is the Welsh presenter ? If it is him then it’s hue Edwards.

Why would he do that? Why would either of them want that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Advertisement