Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

A friend of a friend of a friend works in the BBC at a high level and they were told last week to plan for her passing in the coming days (genuinely).

I'd hope so,Barbados could be the domino to set it off

She had a good run of it,but the woman is 96 FFS,media should let her die in peace and not make a circus of it (never taught I'd see day,I'd talk out for royalty🤪),

it's rumoured with weeks she's dying and wouldn't see Xmas,seems to be deteriorating quite fast now......

rough time if ya somehow,agree with all that royal family stuff I guess,just an elderly head of state dying for rest of us I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Regardless of whether you're a prince or a pauper, the passing of a parent is tough no matter what their age. I hope it is peaceful and they have the strength they need over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Xander10

How plan?

and isn't "passing" on awful term. Just say death, which is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That would explain why she looked so pleased in the photos following the meeting with Liz Truss. She must must have been delighted to have been able to carry out her duties one last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Don't mind admitting I am feeling a bit sad about this. I'm from the UK and not a royalist by any means but she has always been a constant in my life. My mum is huge royalist and we would have always had parties around the times of royal weddings and births, jubilees etc so this feel like a part of my childhood going. Its been on the cards for a long time and I never expected to feel like this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

Operation London Bridge looks like it will be called into action sooner than later.

I think historians will be kind to her, a positive presence overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Queen - where the hospital comes to you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

the following are threadbanned

Dyr

How Soon Is Now

TimeLadsPlease

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

There have been rumours for a while now that she has bone cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

What happens when the Queen or a King in the UK dies? Something that almost every single person alive in the UK and Ireland, even the world, has never experienced. It will be a hugely significant event in history, regardless of your feelings about the monarchy in general. Following a Brexit with a nod to the past, represented in many ways by the Queen, she won't be part of the journey forward with the new look UK. A double whammy of Brexit and the death of the Queen will be an interesting watch as to how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Going by the reaction of UK govt and opposition politicians, I'd hazard a guess that the situation is ominous - they certainly seem to be talking as if the news at lunchtime was extremely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

All the BBC reporters dressed in black and they are setting up crowd barriers at Balmoral. Not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Hue Edwards has long been lined up to present when the Queen’s death is announced so the fact that he is on and wearing a black tie would suggest this is going one way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I was born and raised in London and I’m feeling sad also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My 90 year old father watching the beeb now. He was living in London for her coronation (being a proud Irish man he refrained from joining in the celebrations 😃) I hope he gets to pointedly avoid another coronation. But even he acknowledges Queen Elizabeth ii has been a remarkable Head of State.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

The media have always been incredibly kind to her right? At least I can’t recall anything negative being published. Her passing will be acknowledged world wide.

Let her pass in peace with those she loves around her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Any modern monarchy (something of an anachronism, I know) will have comprehensive protocols in place. Doubly so for a country like this. She's 96. If not now, then soon. I despise the institution but history is awash with atrocious monarchs and she definitely isn't one of them.

She began with Churchill and she may end with Truss. That's over a dozen prime ministers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Well she's had bloody good innings, 90 odd years of age, lived in the lap of luxury all her life, had her every want, need and desire taken care of, never had to worry about money or damn near anything else for that matter, never known anything but a life of extreme privilege.

Never nice to see anyone die, but in the grand scheme of things this rates at the bottom of the list of all the tragedy's that are going on in the world currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Nicholas Witchell, the BBC’s royal correspondent, saying there is a ‘suspicion’ that she has an underlying serious condition.

He is basically an official mouthpiece for the monarchy so must have been given the nod to give that information

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Operation Unicorn is the plan if she dies in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You'd wonder if she has spent the last few months looking back and wondering was it worth it.

A life of unimaginable privilege, but very little personal freedom, all the dirty laundry aired in public, all the boring trips, dinners and engagements.

An end of an era and probably the first act in the demise of the monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

And having to work most days of her 70 year reign, including working a few days ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

She's given them scant little to work with and the media here is overwhelmingly pro-monarchist. I think her somewhat cold reaction to Diana's death is one of her very few missteps.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think we may have very differing views of what constitutes as work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Are they struggling to fill the air here speculating and waffling.

My Gran went like this, peacefully through old age, downhill over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

That's what I thought too, soon as I read that those two are on their way to see the family after all the events of the last few years... well, it's a real indication of the gravity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

It's difficult for us Irish to comprehend what this means for most British people. The vast majority have lived with Elizabeth as queen. With the the impending cold winter approaching,this will be another portent of doom.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's much to comprehend. There'll be a public holiday for mourning, several public displays of sorrow and grief and then people will move on.

If Elizabeth II has achieved anything, it's to bequeath a workable model for monarchy in 21st century Europe to the people of the United Kingdom. That can easily be scuppered by her heir though.

Advertisement