Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on sales of jewellery and other products to USA??

Options
  • 04-09-2022 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Basically, will I need to charge VAT when I go above the 35k threshold on sales? From looking at different sources online, it seems I do for products, whereas if it was a service, I wouldn't have to. I read a contradictory thread here on boards on this issue. }

Anyone know the situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

You need to talk to your account but the help I can provide is

1. The threshold is 35K when you are providing a Service
    2. It is 70K when you are providing a Product
    3. You need to pay VAT regardless of it been a Product\Service

Since your title is jewellery you wold be a product based business.

I have done some work (providing ERP system connecting to their webstore) for a jeweler, who had to refund the VAT to a customer who bought from America and the web store wasn't correctly set up for the VAT\TAX set up

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Thats great, thanks for the info.

My bro is an accountant but with property so he is not very familiar but when I mentioned that to him, he said he thinks that is correct too.

Do you know if this was a B2B transaction or a B2C transaction in your case?

I will speak to an accountant if I am lucky enough to have the problem, but as margins are tight as is, I am just trying to think ahead to see the long term potential of the business.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DaveJoyce

Hey

The refund was B2C, but they have done B2B and B2C, but for VAT purposes it doesn't as an invoice is just an invoice

Regards

Dave

Dave

Turbo Inventory ERP

Helping you sell more, more often

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DonnieCorko

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Irish Vat is only chargeable on customers either in Ireland or EU

Ireland to either American business or customer is classed as export so you don't charge vat

You obviously have to keep a record of export

• Advertisement
Advertisement