Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Rawr

You know, I like Lizzy and I would hate to see her go, but this feels serious this time.

Whenever the BBC has ever reported on her health in recent years they almost always used language that sounded upbeat and encouraging. The more upbeat it would be, the more I would wonder how bad the situation really was. I felt that the true state of her health was being automatically varnished over.

But this time feels different. They aren’t hiding it, or even trying. She’s «comfortable» which does not sound good. We could be hours away…if it hasn’t already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I wonder if she's already passed? It seems a bit much reporting for someone who's "taken a turn" .

The women is 96 and in the last couple of years, has had to deal with more personal family sh!t, than she has political, if she pass's I hope its quick and peaceful, that's the least she deserves after all that families embarrassment's lately

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I suspect she could already be dead. They are just getting everything lined up for the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

It does sound very much like she's already gone. The language being used on BBC News is very sombre and reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If she'd died already, we'd know. Hiding it is pointless. It's more likely her doctors are now just breaking the news to her family that she hasn't long left if indeed this is the case.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I was thinking the same thing. They could be waiting for all the family to be there, before they make an official announcement, saying she passed peacefully surrounded by all her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well if and when she dies, that takes the heat off the new PM for a little while. There will be no negative press as it will be wall to wall Queen protocol and funeral.

Anyway, I was just thinking, you know how obsequious and respectful the press is to the Queen - I wonder if the gloves will come off when Charles ascends the throne? I think the respect given to a person like QE will not be as evident with the King. If so, it's about time that fella with his bags of Saudi/Qatari cash needs to be questioned.

It looks like her demise has already happened, or is imminent. Long live the King. Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Maybe they need to inform the leaders of all of the commonwealth countries first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

If she does recover then all the live coverage of the gate of Balmoral will look a bit strange. If you just tuned in and hadn't heard anything you'd think she was already gone by the way they are talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

By coincidence, I was reading recently about King George VI's passing. In fairness, the BBC reported it relatively quickly ; you might almost anticipate that they could have tried to cover things up in 1952 for a good while, but the news was broken on BBC radio that morning within 2-3 hours of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

They wont announce it until all the family members have reach Balmoral, and it'll be broke on the main news , so either 6pm news or 9pm news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s Funny cause even though I’m not English , let’s be honest , we are still linked and influenced quite alot with them. Even if some of that is dislike of certain aspects of English elements, they do still seem like a family member of sorts (one you might love and/or hate!).

I’ve scoffed at the monarchy many times but hearing this news of her has taken me back a bit. I don’t know why, maybe it’s because an awful lot of things are changing and I don’t like change. Kids getting older and footballers who I used to support are nearly OAPs sort of brings the sands of time into the fore. You sort of take for granted that you will always have to listen to the English go on about their queen so it’s odd to even imagine it could be king.

I wouldn’t want that sort of life, in many ways it’s very much under valued by many who are happy to throw out all historical cultures. Change can good but the royals don’t have the same sort of power they had even in the 90s so I see the monarch more a nice connection/reminder to their history (good and bad).

I wish her and her family the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Beginning of the end (or further decline) of the Commonwealth on the cards. I think some more of the smaller nations who've had her as head of state and respected her will move on now, which might give the bigger nations a nudge in the same direction.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A lad just took a traffic sign down at the gates of Balmoral. I'd say that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Yeah they won't announce it until all the family have arrived. Some are still on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No, I though the plan was always to interrupt the schedule to announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

They will but protocol would mean all the family have to be there first and there would need to be a statement for the front of Buck House.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's sad to hear of this turn for the worse. I find her an admirable woman. I don't think Charles will be a patch on her.

For all that I dislike Boris Johnson, he is the man to come out and speak to the nation when the Queen passes. He will articulate it all better than anyone, and much more fluently than Truss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That's a weird custom to announce the death of a Monarch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No, he isn't. He's the man to milk it for all that it's worth. The modern Tory party is a disgrace. Expect Liz Truss to squeeze every atom of political capital out of this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Boris?

The mad cúnt would probably whittle on about peppa pig or some obscure ancient Roman sex pest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

BBC website now has a black background instead of red

edit.- nvm the news site is still red

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The fact that it's a weird thing to do is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but word would surely have leaked out via twitter or whatever. Balmoral is not a hermetically sealed community...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

They interrupted Bargain Hunt on BBC initially

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Will everywhere be closed down over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

A lot of suggestions she may actually of passed and it’s all about prepping for the announcement and having all the family there for the announcement.

Why would BBC scrap all programming for an afternoon? Why would family be rushing back? Apparently road signs being taken down at balmoral.

Advertisement