Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta: Stage 18 Trujillo > Alto de Piornal (192 km)

Options
  • 08-09-2022 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Biggie today

Already today, a big crash has caused Jay Vine to abandon. Carlos Rodriguez is also fairly beaten up but is continuing. Pedersen also hit the deck but seems ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Big break of ~ 23 riders up the road. EF have managed to stick four riders in it. Arkea-Samsic have three

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Snap! Should have refreshed the page before i posted mine.

Vine out after a crash is a big disappointment

Just shows - if Mads went down hard, Fred Wright could yet win the green jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The break is about 40 plus. Carapaz the leading rider in it. He’s virtual KOM too

Annoying that there’s no early Tv coverage. We’ve been spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

jesus, some of the riders are in bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Vine is an incredible find/talent. Hope to see him at the TDF 23. Can't warm to Remco, but he is going to win a lot of races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Jesus! Rodriguez looks destroyed!

The break: EF actually have five riders in there

Breakaway

• Mark Padun, Merhawi Kudus, Hugh Carthy, Julius van den Berg, James Shaw (EF Education-EasyPost)
    • Elie Gesbert, Dan McLay, Lukasz Owsian, Clément Russo (Arkéa-Samsic)
    • Robert Gesink, Sam Oomen, Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma)
    • Jasha Sütterlin, Gino Mäder, Edoardo Zambanini (Bahrain Victorious)
    • Jose Manuel Díaz, Jetse Bol, Dani Navarro (Burgos-BH)
    • Sergio Higuita, Matteo Fabbro, Danny van Poppel (Bora-Hansgrohe)
    • Richard Carapaz, Tao Geoghegan Hart (Ineos Grenadiers)
    • Thibaut Pinot, Rudy Molard (Groupama-FDJ)
    • Marc Soler, Ivo Oliveira (UAE Team Emirates)
    • Nelson Oliveira, Carlos Verona (Movistar)
    • Mikel Iturria, Gotzon Martin (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
    • Fausto Masnada (QuickStep-AlphaVinyl)
    • Jan Bakelants (Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert)
    • Dario Cataldo (Trek-Segafredo)
    • Lawson Craddock (BikeExchange-Jayco)
    • Nicolas Prodhomme (AG2R Citroën)
    • Davide Villella (Cofidis)
    • Omer Goldstein (Israel-Premier Tech)
    • Vincenzo Nibali (Astana Qazaqstan)
    • Xandro Meurisse (Alpecin-Deceuninck)
    • Raúl García Pierna (Kern Pharma)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

See those pics and the theatrics from some soccer players after a mild tap it goes to show who the hard men really are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I see on PCS one of the sub-teams of UAE has attacked (Almeida and McNulty) and have a minute on the peleton.

That's only because there is a definite benefit to playing up a foul in football. If they ever introduce a concussion or injury protocol in cycling that allows riders enter an ambulance for an assessment and be deposited further up the road back into the group they crashed out of, 20 minutes later, I guarantee you riders will be amping up their apparent injuries.

Remember that clip from a few years ago of a (CCCC ?) rider caught up in a bunch crash but not the slightest bit affected by it, rolling up to a traffic island and gently tumbling to the ground, pretending to have fallen off his bike?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Be fascinating if Almeida starts to encroach on Ayuso's position.

He has help now with Oliveira.

If he can make this stick, he'd certainly be able to jump to 4th place on GC. C-Rod looks like he won't be doing much defending today.

Looks like Movistar and Astana are going to drag this back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Astana chasing? Very Movistar of them

Carapaz to bag a third if that six-man group stays away. Pinot will attack with 5 km to go, get a 90 second lead and then be attacked by a flock of Griffon Vultures.

Fancy Higuita myself but would love to see Pinot do it.

Does the movistar guy not realise Mas is not in the group he is pulling??

• Advertisement

Have to shout for Gesink now.

Ah well

Not bad for a lad who, just a couple of days ago, was being accused of faking a puncture because he couldn't stay with the bunch.

Think the fact Mas sat behind Gesink for 2-300m allowed Remco to gather himself and sprint for the win, he looked on the limit trying to follow Mas initially

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

He obviously had the stronger nutritional products in his pocket today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Not really a great comparison is it . Is UFC a better sport than cycling cos they seem harder ? Not for me it is cos I don’t judge sports on how hard people are .

in relation to todays action fair play Remco! Nearly has it won overall

Post edited by Dr. Bre on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've no idea what Almeida was at. It made no sense to me. It was clear the peloton were going to chase him with riders looking to protect their GC position.

Shouldn't he be protecting Ayuso's podium?

He cost Soler a potential stage win too.

I'd imagine there's a lot of riders who went in the break who are not happy with him after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Put a soccer player or UFC fighter on a bike and tell them to do twenty miles on a 5% gradient and they won't look like hard men when they quit after 5 at most.

Every sport is different and you don't get to elite level without a ridiculous amount of hard work, discipline and hunger to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ben foster is just one soccer player who would do that handily and he doesn't so any amount of running.

Advertisement