Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liffey Valley Introducing Parking Charges

• 08-09-2022 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭

Some cute hoors. Pretending that it is being done to encourage Public Transport and the likes.

Money grabbing

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's been coming for a while.

I feel sorry for the staff who look like they have to pay a serious chunk of cash to park at work.

Tallaght are also bringing in paid parking soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would they not be subsised by their employers? Fair miserable if not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Online sellers to make a killing.

Slightly I think 4 euro a day was mentioned...so adds up quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

In fairness Liffey valley has been open for a long time and never charged up until now I would say seen as a small perk of the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

An unofficial perk, which are always at risk of being whipped at any time.

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people in this country don't have free car parking at their workplace. It's absolutely a lovely Brucie Bonus if you happen to have it, but it's not a right. If I take my car to work I've to pay the guts of 40 quid a day for the pleasure. Even the bus in and out costs me more than the €4 a day mentioned above for the LV staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Its an out of town place. Parking charges aren't really a done thing outside of the notions shopping centres outside the city. Nobody lives anywhere near the LV centre so any reasonable sized shopping there requires 4 wheels.

Yet another reason not to live anywhere Dublin if avoidable. God bless work from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Em did you miss the giant housing estates right beside Liffey Valley? On the left as you head towards the m50 from the Penneys car park?

In terms of the charges - at least the one in The Square in Tallaght is only €1 for 3 hours which isn't too bad at all. Liffey Valley is a bit much so don't think I'll be going there unless no other choice now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I drove around in circles there yesterday looking for the exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Why arent the food places or boots kicking up a fuss about this? Im sure there are tons of ppl who go there at lunch time. alot of them will stop going if they have to pay an extra 2:50.

It should have been 1 hour free parking +2 hours validated parking + charge the long term parkers after the 3 hours

Or M and S . I often order clothes online and fly in to M and S to collect them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'm reminded of that tune

If you tolerate this your children will be next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

I'll never use it again.

Shit shopping centre anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Ridiculous. I would often nip up at lunchtime for half an hour. Not any more. Of course the interminable roadworks around there hasn’t helped. WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THEM???

In any event, the other retail park (with Argos, The Range etc.) will be packed once the charges go in across the road - putting those shops at a disadvantage as their customers won’t be able to find parking.

Pure greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why should employers subsidise their better off employees? Where’s the subsidy for those who walk or cycle or take the bus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Only loser's take the bus.

Hope you have the cojones to tell all the part time minimum wage retail staff in LV that they’re losers as they serve you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I won't get the chance, as I will no longer be shopping in Liffey Valley due to the parking charge's

Make sure you don’t shop in Dundrum (old or new centres), Frascati, Pavilion, Whitewater or any of the many other centres with paid parking.

Because you’re one of the better off ones who expects employers to subsidise their travel choices presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭davetherave

Cycle to Work scheme that the employer agrees to be a part of, or the Taxsaver leap card scheme that the employer agrees to be a part of?

I haven't been to LV since they introduced their charges and I know several other people who have taken the same attitude. Of course I will go there but not at the frequency of before and therefore won't be spending the same amount of money there as heretofore.

I would reckon the tenants will be having hard conversations with the landlord in the new year when they see the drop in sales volumes over the next month.

Jesus you're a very bitter person. It's odd behaviour

• Advertisement

If it seems odd to you, that's because you've grown up surrounded by a car-centric culture, where the needs and priorities of private motorists are put above everyone else's needs. That's how we've trebled the number of private cars on the road over a generation, with very modest spending on public transport over that time. Other countries have been aware of the impact of 'free' parking in creating this car-centric culture for years now; https://www.amazon.com/High-Cost-Free-Parking-Updated/dp/193236496X

Neither of those subsidies come from the employer. The subsidies come from the State.

Good lord

Check my recent comments on a Limerick thread about someone lambasting pedestrians and say the same again about me being in favour of cars all-over-the-shop

Absolute weirdo

You're the one personally attacking me for having an opinion and now you play the oppressed victim card?

Shall we stick to the question of Liffey Valley? There's no such thing as 'free parking'. Someone has to pay to provide space and facilities for parking.

The only question is whether those who benefit - motorists - should pay, or should all of us have to pay so that some people get free storage for their private property?

You DO realise that shopping centres such as Liffey Valley were designed and built with the motorist in mind?? It was literally the entire point of building it in the first place: for people to drive to a green-field site where they could find all of their retail requirements under one roof. To start whinging that the absolutely awful 'motorist' is at fault for having the absolute gall to DRIVE to the out-of-town facility rather than take public transport, while probably stopping on the way to give a tree a hug, is frankly ridiculous.

Of course there is no such thing as 'free' parking, but the hitherto policy of not charging for parking was reflected in the rents of the tenants in Liffey Valley (the landlord was certainly not going to be out of pocket!) who in turn passed it on to their customers. That is now clearly not the case.

You are being deliberately obtuse waving your eco-banner around on this issue.

You're broadly right, that was the thinking when LV was built. You're right that LV tenants pass on parking costs to their customers, ALL their customers, including their customers who walk, cycle or bus. So motorists are getting subsidised by the general population, yet again.

I didn't have a go at awful motorists for driving there. I've driven there myself, though rarely enough in recent years. I'm having a go at awful motorists doing their foot-stomping temper tantrum at the idea of paying for the space their private property is taking up.

• Advertisement

Who do you think should pay for the parking facilities used by people driving to LV?

It's about getting feet in the door and spending money inside. That's what should be the incentive to gain footfall

Liffey Valley should be the ones themselves taking the 'hit' on parking, similar to Showgrounds & Poppyfields in Clonmel, similar to The Crescent in Limerick, similar to Mahon Point in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

What price do you pay if you arrive at 5pm and stay 3 hours?

Is it 2.50 for the 5-6 stay and then 2.50 for the 6pm-8am slot?

Again you are being obtuse. The paths that people walk on and the roads that people cycle on are partially funded by motorists' road tax and excise duty so there is no subsidy, in fact it could be argued that it is the other way round!! Of course if they brought back the bicycle tax, then this would go some way to balancing the books.

Actually, a bicycle tax... not a bad idea for the Government!!

It would also be very interesting to see the statistics around the mode of transport used to get to Liffey Valley. I would assume that it is likely to be 96/97% by car and thereby fulfilling its design function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On parking for staff most of them will be in the lower wake bracket below 15/ hour with many in minimum wage or just above it. For businesses working out of it they will struggle to hire and retain staff that use a car for work purposes. For a person working 5 days that is 20/week gone. Where it will really hit is workers that are not in regular hours maybe only getting 4-6/ shift.

Consumers that used it for short term visit for food etc will go elsewhere. It will probably effect the cinema as well out there.

It will be interesting to see how it effects footfall

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

We're talking about Liffey Valley, private space, not public space. It's nothing to do with a non-existent 'road tax' or excise duties. It is a private facility.

But if you do want to look at the big picture, have a look at what's happening in smarter cities, where instead of creating additional barriers to cycling by taxation, they are actually incentivising and encouraging cycling. It's almost as if they've worked out that creating barriers to cyclist as our climate crisis reaches a peak isn't such a smart strategy.

Your eco virtue-signalling post does not address the matters at hand. The location of the video is the absolute centre of Paris, not a shopping centre on the outskirts that nearly everyone has to drive to. You are comparing apples and oranges.

And that is the point!! People are complaining about a PRIVATE facility mostly frequented by PRIVATE transport being charged but you constantly refer to PUBLIC transport users who are an irrelevancy in terms of total customers who visit. You want the tail to wag the dog!

The Paris video is nothing to do with Liffey Valley. The Paris video is to answer your slightly foolish barstool-bore suggestion of a 'bicycle tax'. Do have a look at what other countries are doing.

While LV is indeed a PRIVATE business, it is not restricted to PRIVATE transport users. It is used by people who walk, who cycle and who take the bus - and they're pretty tired of paying for the storage facilities of other customers. Time for motorists to start paying for motoring and stop expecting to be subsidised by all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are plenty of other places to have this war than here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement