Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian-style chipper in Cork?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Has anyone confirmed that any of the chippers in Cork actually use beef (or other animal) dripping for frying? Or is it just speculation? It makes an unhealthy dish even less healthy, and with vegetarian/vegan considerations these days I imagine less would be inclined to use it for cooking vegetables.

I'm not sure it's the magic ingredient that some claim it to be...

I saw someone earlier claim the Golden Fry have it inside, but I've only ever seen bags of spuds and boxes of some sort of cooking oil there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Has anyone confirmed that any of the chippers in Cork actually use beef (or other animal) dripping for frying? Or is it just speculation? It makes an unhealthy dish even less healthy, and with vegetarian/vegan considerations these days I imagine less would be inclined to use it for cooking vegetables.

I'm not sure it's the magic ingredient that some claim it to be...

I saw someone earlier claim the Golden Fry have it inside, but I've only ever seen bags of spuds and boxes of some sort of cooking oil there.

They're closed now, but Looney's in Blackpool definitely used beef dripping. I saw the boxes, clearly marked behind the counter. I even had a chat with the owner about it - he told me that they used to render their own but didn't really have the facilities to do it efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Not sure if they're the same owners, but I found Looney's of Mayfield unremarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sorrento in Cobh is savage. I got the porchetta in a pitta with chips there before, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

xabi wrote: »
    So which Lennox is the best? Jackie or CF?
    Jackies of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Jackie Lennoxes was always beef dripping when lads i knew worked there pre 2010 . I dont know anyone working there now but i doubt they have changed, beef dripping gives good flavour and has a very high smoke point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Only the Chinese restaurants use sunflower oil for their frozen 3in1 chips.
    Beef Dripping is standard practice for chipper chips and long may it be.

I worked in a chipper as a teen, made many bins of them.
    All skinned and chipped fresh into 100KG bins.

Maris Piper are the usual breed, big 25KG bags.
    Then there was an MSG type preservative thrown on top during the wash, made them saltier as well as keeping them from going off.

Blanched and then cooked proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

roundymac wrote: »
    Jackies of course.

Hit and mostly miss

They're closed now, but Looney's in Blackpool definitely used beef dripping. I saw the boxes, clearly marked behind the counter. I even had a chat with the owner about it - he told me that they used to render their own but didn't really have the facilities to do it efficiently.[/quot. ,decent chips at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

Does anyone know why the Fishwife closed so suddenly, (a lil while ago)?

• Advertisement

I believe that the numbers just weren't adding up for them so they closed before things came to a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

Thanks! i live around the corner and last few weeks less ppl were queing up. Shame they were Corks best chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Didn’t Romano Macari (best remembered from his pirate radio days) run an Italian chipper in Cook street in the 1980s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭notAMember

oops, didn’t mean to post but can’t figure out how to delete on mobile. Ignore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

They might have done decent chips at one point but they're just trading on their name now.

Have to agree- less than average

though tbf I haven’t been there in a few years since the stuff we got was practically inedible- burnt over cooked - obviously reheated southern fried chicken

chips weren’t anything to write home about either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Yup - Agreed. They're hit n miss at best. I live a good few miles from Lennox's Bandon rd now so I rarely get food there anymore. Its just not worth the drive. When they're good they're good but they have issues with consistency imo. Last times I got chips there they were undercooked. Unacceptable. Still better than my local Dino's though. Rough oul rubbish grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

• Advertisement

Dino's in Douglas is a disaster. Half cooked chips.

But I've had some of the nicest chips I've ever had from Dino's in Kinsale.

I've only had good chips from there and Turner's X. They still have the nicest chips in Cork I reckon,and I'm here 2 years now

The golden fry is still second - amazing suppers ! Roll on Friday!

I can honestly say the last time I had food from Dino's Ballincollig (about 4 or 5 months ago) it was absolute terrible grub except for the curry sauce which was actually decent. In fairness Dinos in Kinsale isn't bad at all. Quite good actually. Dino's Bishopstown .. not great either. That place in de Collig is absolutely shocking. Some banging reviews of the place online too .... 😂

^^^^

But what was bad about the food?

Just bad chips. Hard like they were undercooked or something and looked like poor quality spuds maybe. Battered sausage was like a piece of leather. I got a taco fries from the same place a few weeks before that and again not good. Easily the worst taco chips i've had in a long time.

If a chipper can't get the chips right then I don't know what to say tbh...

Advertisement