Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

A bit condescending towards new members tbh. I joined a club this year, only get out once a week. If you had told me I had to have 20 counting rounds before I could play in a competition I would have told the club where to go and joined somewhere else as I'm sure a lot of other potential new members would.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You got your 20 rounds in ?

Play any casual golf at all...if you were told you can play any golf you like , but there are rules around competitions ...you'd tell them where to go ?

That is a bit mad ...there is no sport in the world that doesn't have rules and entry requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

And this is the attitude that puts new people off golf. Good thing you're in the minority.

If you exclude members from competitions then they're not going to stay being a member. You can just turn up a run a marathon if you want, you're not going to do well but you still can.

And it's not the minimum requirement for our sport.

Yes I have 20 rounds in now but it took me all of the summer playing competitions on the weekend to get it. Only casual golf I play is a few holes here and there in the evenings in the summer. Your attitude is what's turning potential new members away, every new member isn't this handicap bandit bogeyman that you've made out. I started off with a handicap of 17 which I couldn't get cut until 4 months of playing and its at 15 now. I've won one competition this summer while off a handicap of 16 and my best score this year has been 42 points.

When I won the competition I had 17 scores in btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Just a side note.

would have loved to have seen you play in the boards society this year. I am just imagining Fix announce the winner of the captains prize in Mount Juliet as Ghandi from Ballyfermot ……… would be some odd looks around the place 🤣

I don't think we should mix society golf with serious club competitions. And that seems miles off topic...

I think that is the problem with the direction we are going ...we are mixing casual fun golf with serious club golf.

To use the 1/2 marathon analogy..People are expecting to turn up without practice and win the 1/2 marathon...

The proposal being put forward here -People who actually take the competitions side of club golf serious...should leave clubs for casual golfers ....is a bit twisted.

Might be the way we are going ...but be careful what the end point of that is....

• Advertisement

🤣🤣🤣 They wouldn't have let me in there before the Irish Open that's for sure. They'd be no turf left for the pros to play on after I'm done hacking around.

In all seriousness though it probably comes back to clubs deciding what they want from their competitions. Do they want them to be open, inclusive, social events where everyone has a crack, which was the point of WHS, or do they want to emphasise the competitive element a bit more which sounds like it was the way under CONGU.

In fairness that is a more reasonable post.

Most people here are trying to make whs work without killing what is a massive part of Irish club golf...

We are not going to change whs ...but can control how it operates in a fully functioning golf club with maybe 1000 members already in it...

Well in fairness I don’t think it’s WHS was the point of making golf more open and inviting .

i think that is something that has improved massively over the last 20 years and is still evolving.

whs is just about handicapping and unifying the process throughout the world

With CONGU you could enter competitions with three rounds

Yes but massive downward adjustment to initial handicap and much much lower higher limit

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

I fully agree with this - let people play competitions as soon as they have a HI, but limit the initial HI. You can't expect to just pick up a golf club and have a chance of winning a prize. If, after 15/20 rounds, the algorithm decides you need a higher index then fine.

WHS is far more suited to limiting initial handicaps than CONGU was, yet that got thrown out...

The solution isn't making people go from having to submit 3 scores to 20

So you agree with me then.

the problem is not the amount of rounds on one’s record, it’s that an incorrect handicap has been allocated.

Yes...but your hardly going to change whs...that is unrealistic.

I'm into practical application of the process in the real world.

As someone very cleverly said ...if you don't have 20 rounds in, your handicap is not actually calculated correctly.

Now ...perhaps GI can change WHS application ? So fair enough if that is possible...but that is a bit Irish too....

I'm absolutely shocked that people actually expect to be able to sign up to a club ..crash bang wallop ..be able to win comps when as you can see from scores posted ...these people practically can't play golf.

My idea of sport and to be honest,practically everything in life and most irish people I know - is, you start something, you try , get to a certain point , progress, get to next level , look around try again , learn more , try harder. It is actual years....

People shooting 110 + , having 50 pts and winning events ...are people seriously on a golf forum proposing that is going to end well for club golf...

And , as anyone who knows me can attest, I'm all for casual golf , having a laugh , opening up of golf (even the R&A) Seve...

But if we have a club system enabling 50 pts and winning after 5 cards with scores in the 100s.

Genuinely, normal Club competitions will not be for me.

And at that point - and people are underestimating this aspect , not just me - but I would not take part in club competitions and maybe leave a club.

Because it is all about being casual now.....why bother with a club..

Opens ...work your handicap in casual rounds etc.....play scratch cups etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

I get your sentiment Fix, but, do we have any rough idea of how often there are scores in the 49/50pts range ? I'm asking that in a "I don't know" sense rather than an "its not happening" one. Like, how much of an occurrence, or an outlier, are these scores ? I can't remember seeing anything above 45pts in our place this year, and that was 2 rounds on day 1 of the Captain's. One of them had 22pts on day 2. Most weekends something in or around 40 will win your class, often less, and sometimes one or two more. I've won my class with 35pts in May and been beaten on countback with 40pts a few weeks later.

I know this might be dismissed as justifying high scores, and I'm not trying to do that at all, but I genuinely think the rock hard dry ground and wispy rough for most of this summer has definitely impacted scores, particularly for the higher handicaps. I play regularly with a few elderly-ish high guys, and their normal "poke it down the middle drives" are getting 40/50 yards of run for a lot of this year. Its a massive difference to get within maybe 50 yards of a hole in two, that you normally struggle to get on in three. These crafty old guys are usually very good around the greens and they can pick up 3 pts on many holes they normally wouldn't.

That's not to say that's fully the reason for 50pts, I don't think anyone should ever shoot 50 or close to it, but I'd like to see a trend over a few seasons before declaring it a system problem. I can obviously only speak for my own experience, but I'm mid 40s now and playing in my club since I was a kid and I'd say the amount of times I've either heard of, or suspected someone of building a handicap or a new guy sandbagging to get a few more shots is tiny, probably less than 10 times. Certainly nothing that would allow 50pts, we probably knew someone under CONGU that we could argue was carrying a shot or two, but that's it IMO anyway, not carrying 10 shots !

Guys --- I'm not saying it is actual bandits - I'm just saying the upper limits and ability to win comps too early are my main objections.

Upper limit of 27 (I'm being generous) - If you can't play to that, you can't win and you wouldn't expect to anyway.

Min 20 rounds. Take up another sport - or take your time , if you don't want to play 20 rounds - why do you think you can take part at the same level.

In theory WHS is a good idea (If Ireland is an odd place)

Stop dumbing down golf - it is hard and that is ok. With a bit of effort most able body people can get to 27 eventually.

I think prizes are way too big - and I've never been a fan (in any system) of overall winner.

Interclub golf is a scam - and that has been tolerated for way too long in Ireland.

That is it for me - I've unusual views for someone who has played a good bit of golf - but I can't sit back and see guys win comps off handicaps in 30s and 40s ----- honestly I can't watch that or be near it.

Where is GreeBo when you need him - whilst he was extreme - I actually agreed with him on a good bit of stuff on this - that was actually fairly shocking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

@FixdePitchmark

Interclub golf is a scam - and that has been tolerated for way too long in Ireland.

Agree with some of what you're saying, but what's the thinking on this one.

I've played the last couple of years in the hight teens range and found it a great experience and a lot of fun.

There's a few clubs maybe not playing in the right spirit, but everyone I've played with and against have been straight-up, capable of some great shots, but the deficiencies are obvious enough as to why they're not lower.

We had a nice meal in the Grange at their expense after they knocked us out and they were saying how Interclub is pretty much unique to Ireland. That's pretty cool imo and something to be celebrated and held on to.

Team sport is the ultimate and so uncommon generally in golf, so it's great to get that opportunity.

I guess it depends where you were playing and how far you got. But that is another days topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

That should be be your cue to hit log out 😂

How do you put a thread on ignore - if another 50 pointer comes in - clubs going on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Advertisement

For **** Sake - I'm off to take up the guitar and try harder this time.

Class post 😂

Advertisement