Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

Shes a deceased head of state, it is news. If Joe Biden was in a similar position I’m sure they would lead with that.

You can not like the monarchy while also appreciating the death of the head of the family is newsworthy?

Confirmed now on Sky

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

She's been called dead on 2 channels. CNN and bloomberg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

And there you have it, death now confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Flag lowered. Slán.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Could be Lazarus Liz. I remember when my grandmother was dying, all her children were gathering from all corners and were around her bed praying. She got a second wind as many near death do, and sat up, ate and drank something for the first time in four or five days and chatted to everyone. Died the next morning though bless her. She was a very young member of Cumann na mBan but secretly loved reading about and looking at photos of the Royal Family. Her name was Eileen and we slagged her for years after the Coronation of the Queen that she even had the same name albeit hers was the Irish version.

They are waiting for Harry. Won't be long now, unless he takes the scenic route to Balmoral as an act of defiance or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just announced now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

RTE website leads with it, yet BBC website still reads about her ill health, weird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Be interesting to compare the mourning to the queen with the same for princess Di. Id say the death of the queen will have a far larger effect on the monarchy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

RIP.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭Rawr

BBC stream crashing, but got in eventually. They are calling Charles, «King» now. It’s wierd to be on the other side of this…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's the headline story on pretty much every media outlet. From rate to Bloomberg to arise and al Jazeera. Everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I Liked her and I'm sad that she has died. Wouldn't have any time for the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

It's the end of an era really. Here in Edinburgh airport and news slowly getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ChickenDish

RIP Liz, you had a good run

RIP. The mother of the British people for the past 70 years, and a great woman. There will be raw feelings in millions of homes in the UK tonight because her death symbolizes the formal passing of the WW2 generation and twentieth century Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Great opportunity over the next while to determine the servile amongst us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Whether or not you agree with Royalty and more specifically, The British Royals, there is no doubt she has served her country for literally her entire adult life to the best of her abilities.

I reckon that's it now for the royals, the slow descent into irrelevance continues.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I feel surprisingly sad - that was a real lump in the throat moment when they announced it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very sad day for many people. A life long commitment to duty…

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

RIP

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

End of an era. Rip.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sligeach threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

She was a part of history and a constant in all our lives, no matter what your opinions of her or the monarchy. This is especially true for those of us on the older side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RIP.

Some of the posts above though!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mad to think she was doing the 'kissing hands' thing with the other Elizabeth just a few days ago. when you get to that age I guess things can go downhill very fast...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Diana was very of the 90's, of Cool Britiannia and all that, a bit of a flash in the pan in the public mind. High emotion that hits that hard that fast, tends to die off just as quickly.

Elizabeth II, one of their greatest monarchs* in a time of rapid change unheard of in history and known by generations of British people as a constant fixture in their cultural lives will have a much bigger legacy than an unseemly sideshow like Diana** and her passing a much greater effect.

*not a high bar to be fair, but she defo jumped it. Not unlike her earlier namesake.

**tbh I always though Diana a right whinge

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement