Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture demands that Charles take the throne. He'd be trampling on nearly a millenium's worth of tradition by doing that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

We should have a public holiday in solidarity...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Those two are desperate for attention, better off just ignoring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Which will no doubt descend into the bonkers and surreal.

Her death marks the end of an era and you get the feeling that it was her continuity and presence that kept the monarchy show on the road. Remains to be seen if Charles can command such respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

May she RIP. She really missed the Duke after he died. He was always by her side. Hopefully he's by her side again. I admired her greatly. The amount of shite she had to put up with in her own family and how resilient and strong she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

BBC just showed a picture of when she meant Truss in Scotland 2 days ago look as if she was good but knowing from a few death od elderly relatives they seem to pick up quiet a bit before dieing.

Like others I wounder what will this do for the popularity of the monarch. There will be a rise of support and nationalism but will it fall away quick. One thing for sure is Charles is not giving up his chance of being King and handing it over (to the more popular) William

Conspiracy theory her last visitors were Johnston and Truss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

I think Charlie will be King George the 7th

King Charles I and II were disasters so I don't think he want that name! Or so I read recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Charles and Camilla in charge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’d be up for that. In the interests of showing our “maturity” as a Nation you understand .!

Joking aside,End of an era,70 years some going tbf ...and I'm sure the whole media circus will be absurd

but the notion her son, just immediately gets to be head-of-state just irks me to the bone...he is no better or worse,than anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Michael D Higgins statement on BBC now, one of the first to be read out by BBC

Great show of support from the people of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah I am strangely emotional over it as well. She was a remarkable woman really. Some longevity. Mad to think that Churchill was her first PM, and she reigned through so many technological, cultural, medical and political change and advancement.

I'm sure small-minded Republicans are thrilled at the death of an 96 year old woman though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think the monarchy dies with her, it'll slowly fade into irrelevance now, Charles and Camilla too unpalatable.

Whatever you may think of the monarchy, she was the glue that held it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Sad someone has died but she’s no different than the rest of us. Some sh1te will be talked over the next few days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I reckon it infuriated her that she had to keep to protocol when greeting that d.ick Johnston the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RIP

I never understood a lot of aspects of the monarchy from the point of view of UK citizens and more so from the point of view of Irish citizens but she was a remarkable lady, served through a multitude of turbulence and has carried herself in what must at time be a horrible ‘job’ with dignity, sharpness and strength that can only be admired.

You also have to feel sympathy that of all the great world leaders she has met her last hours were taken up meeting two of the worst.

For all its wealth and notoriety I wouldn't wish membership of the royal family on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I suppose you'd want to exchange any English money you might have sharpish.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Rawr

If she held onto life just to spite Johnson and rob him of the «honor» of being PM when she died…my already high respect for her would go higher still.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

May she RIP

There will never be another like her or to serve as long as her.

She was not a bad person.

She lived a life of luxury. So not a bad life will lived. RIP to her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Sad news to be fair. There will always be morons saying moronic things at a time like this.

Serious tenure as the head of state, just feels like she had been around forever. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭brickster69

RIP

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Statement by the Tánaiste on the death of Queen Elizabeth

I pay tribute to Queen Elizabeth on her passing which marks the end of an incredible epoch in British history. As Head of State she helped usher in a new era of hope and reconciliation between our two countries, opening a new chapter in relations between Ireland and the UK.  

Her life was devoted to public service, and her dedication to her work, to her people and to her country, over seven decades of extraordinary and sometimes difficult change, won respect and admiration all around the world.

From our perspective, she will always be remembered as the first British monarch to visit an independent Ireland, a visit which was a watershed moment on the long road to reconciliation. Symbolism matters, and the visit showed that it is possible to move beyond a painful history, and use our shared experiences to build a new future in a spirit of hope and forgiveness.

From a British perspective, she was their longest-reigning monarch, and a much-loved and respected head of State. When born, she was third in line to the throne, but found herself a Queen at just 25 years of age.

Her life was one of ongoing dedication, of service to her people, and to the Commonwealth which flourished under her watch. Her workload was the stuff of legend - as late as Wednesday evening, she was scheduled to meet with her Privy Council to discuss affairs of State. 

From the start of her reign she travelled far and wide, visiting countries inside and outside the Commonwealth; countries with good relations with the UK, and those with more troubled ones. 

Ireland has had a complex and deeply troubled relationship with the British monarchy over many centuries. Queen Elizabeth will be remembered as someone who built bridges between Ireland and the UK, and restored connections between our nations.

I was honoured to briefly meet Queen Elizabeth, and the Duke of Edinburgh, during their visit to Ireland in my capacity as Minister for Tourism. I will always recall her warmth, her grace, and most especially her humour. This was a mission that mattered precisely because the history between our two countries had been so difficult for so long. In the past, the British monarchy had been a symbol of all that was wrong in that relationship. She transformed it into a symbol of reconciliation. 

We didn’t realise it at the time, but her visit to Ireland was a new beginning in relations between Ireland and the UK. I remember vividly the surprise and delight of hearing a British monarch speaking Irish at a State occasion, the smile on her face as she met Irish citizens, and her now legendary visit to the English Market in Cork. 

May she Rest in Peace, and may her successors help to continue the long and ongoing work of reconciliation between Ireland and the UK.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

King Charles will abdicate the crown to William and that will be the end of the British monarchy in a few years time.

RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Charles is officially King already? I didn't realise it was so automatic and instant. No ceremony needed? So, the monarchy is seamless?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

He's King as soon as The Queen died. The Coronation is just a cermenonial tying up of the loose ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I'm nearly 60 and she's been Queen my entire life. In our house, in NW England, we will raise a glass tonight to her unwavering sense of duty and her embodiment of the term Monarchy. We will honestly miss her.

RIP Queen Elizabeth ll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You're giving me the itch to play Crusader Kings.

Advertisement