Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sandman [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

After starting from the beginning again I'm loving this show - up to episode 5 and it was great episode

Ep 6 was so lovely

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: Well then! That was a proper penultimate episode cliffhanger! I was thinking Stephen Fry

might have been this mysterious Family Man who didn't turn up to the convention.. but he's from the dream realm.. still could be Family Man I guess.. although surely one of the other attendees would have spotted/known him.

So.. next up then.. a show down with Dream/Rose/Corinthian and some sort of Dream/Rose winning and allowing Rose not to die somehow.. maybe.. maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watching this very slowly, as it's all a bit slow for me and also because I expect new characters to show up all over the place. Absolutely no knowledge of the source material at all so maybe this does influence the viewing experience. That said, it is watchable and aesthetically looks very good but not one I would binge.

Finished! Overall it was alright. Definitely felt like it divided into three.

A strong opening five episodes story. Then a really well put together episode six.

Then.. like.. more closer to a sky/bbc production episodes seven to ten. Ten had a strong enough ending to hint at a season two all the same.

10: That felt very much by-the-numbers. The ending parts looked cool enough and like it was setting up well for a next season.

Yep.. Corinthian gone, Rose got sorted.

The bits about the endless and the demons does suggest some kinda battles/war in the future. I'd how it is done could be depending on budget. Though they could represent it affordably if they went kinda like how Legion did it.. though that might push away the audience.

Well that was kinda an easy call about how it would turn out..

Future: Well.. the ending of episode ten definitely suggests a future in mind..

where I'm guessing it will explore the non-human world a bit more.

I think I spotted the names of six of the seven endless.. Dream, Death, Destiny, Desire, Despair, Delirium.. and the seventh is the one I'm guessing who is "missing" (TM). I assume the missing reason will be some kinda 'awe gotcha' on the audience given the feeling of the show so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Superb show. Excellent done with great depth and thought provoking themes and references. Haven't read all the comments as I am on episode 6 and don't want to ruin it for myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 2 and man, this show is so lush. No idea how high or low the budget is but it looks so good. Not overly showy, but still so rich and dreamlike ... which yeah, is probably apt, lol. And so far has been a show with faith in itself and its world not to have action for its own sake, or a hyperactive pace lest it seem dull. I can see why some compared it to a BBC production.

Tom Sturridge's voice may grate after a while; but for now it's the right side of tortured-whisper. Affected but doesn't call too much attention to itself.

Poor Gregory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Binged this last weekend ha. I'd say 'ok' overall - a good watch for the DC fans. I read the comic briefly many years ago, I am not really big fan but i appreciate the work and I can understand that it has quite some fanbase.

There are a lot of good things to say for this show but I think they put too much salt and peppers to this fine dish (good source material), that it could have been a big hit if they didnt do that...

Funny yes i thought the same the first 5/6 episodes are excellent, the production, plot and the characters acting/accent are spot on - highlight has to go to the harry potter Lupin actor guy, this psychopath son John is one of the best performed villains from recent years I am sure ha.

Now, the 'too much salt and pepper' that i felt (and family too) after episode 6, i am pretty sure it would be seen as 'too much woke'. I remember the comic is quite edgy and obviously they changed up abit (genderswap Lucien etc), that i thought 'oh this team actually did a great job on whatever these changes they made' - it felts organic/natural that these characters don't feel forced/out of place for the first 6 episodes.

And then to me it gets 'too much' by the time we reached the next arc (basically episode 7-9). Virtually most characters/couples in the show at this stage are either bisexual or gay or queer etc - while I couldn't care less but ya since they went heavy on that, they diluted some characters like Hal (the landlord, i actually remember this character has a good story from comic, he is actually a drag queen) and Desire, and the Corinthian to certain extend.

So ya all those never go well with the casual audience lmao. Speaking as a viewer who has many friends from LGBT circle and someone who enjoys Rocky horror show - I really don't understand why there is a need to enforce so much of these changes that do nothing to the show. A pity really it would be a higher scored show. Overall I like it, the first 6 episodes are just good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I enjoyed the last 5 episodes more than the first. While it was entertaining, the forced character alterations were very distracting. There were so many changes to the characters that it ended up being just plain absurd. Why the need to make so many male characters female? Why did John Constantin have to become a woman in a mixed race lesbian relationship? Why the need to make so many characters brown/black/gay/gender fluid? I wonder if LGBT people find it patronising? I had been optimistic about it but sadly disappointed.

The problem wasn't that there were LGBT or ethic minority characters in roles that had been written as white and straight, it was that it seemed as if the vast majority of the characters were LGBT ethnic minority characters. It's a shame really that it took so long to bring to the screen and was hijacked by Netflix to carry The Message. I'd only subscribed to Netflix to see Stranger Things and The Sandman and I've cancelled my subscription now. It's no wonder that they're going broke. Absolutely include LGBT and ethnic minority actors but don't keep making programmes as a vehicle to promote a message that is backfiring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am on episode 3. Not completely sold yet. I thought the Cain and Abel characters were a little ridiculous.

Will give it a couple more episodes.

Does anyone know why it is rated 18s? It seems a bit tamer than a lot of the 15s series I have seen.

Yeah, I was very kind of meh about the first 5 episodes. I think that the 18 cert is probably about the content later on. I don't really want to say much as it would spoil things. For me, one thing that really annoyed me was how downplayed the sleeping sickness is. It barely gets a mention. The first 5 episodes seem more about introducing characters. In the comics Death was pretty much a David Bowie look alike so Brienne of Tarth was taking it too far. The Joanna Constantine role wasn't just bizarre it was really really badly acted but it was badly scripted so maybe that's why.

Agreed on Cain and Abel, also the wife of the actor who played Cain played the priest in Sandman. There are some poignant and enjoyable moments and it's worth watching. I have to remind myself that most of the audience weren't alive when the comics were written and the Netflix version is written for them and not for the people who read the comics.

• Advertisement

Well probably...

episode 5

counts a big way towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Comments on full Season 1 so... Just a warning :)

I have no knowledge of the books. Think I read a bit years and years ago. So, for all intents and purposes, I'm coming in blind. I'm a fan of Gaiman (Don't know why I never read Sandman. Just never got around to it. But that's on me).

I thought it was very uneven. Talk about your game of two halves! I thought the first storyline was very good. David Thwelis was fantastically creepy and the bit in the car was SO tense. I loved the episode with death. That was my favourite episode.

But I thought the second story was pretty weak. The very obvious switch from story 1 to 2 was poorly done. I wasn't expecting such an episodic nature. I don't know if these characters will return or not. They certainly seemed to big them up only to resolve their stories.

I know, there are hints at bigger story: The Prodigal, Rose's friend's baby etc.

I suppose it's probably a case where they are MOSTLY resolved and, all going well, by about season 4, they start to entwine hanging threads that I missed (And will probably be glaringly obvious in retrospect)

I thought, at times, Sturridge did veer a little too hard into "Blue Steel".

So... I liked it but I was hoping for a bit more. If it gets renewed (And I hope it does but no word yet) then I will certainly watch it now that much of the introduction is done but I just want a bit more (Greedy bugger that I am).

I've read some of the comics but I'd forgotten what happened in the car. I spent all the time worrying about what he might do to the dog. From what I've seen of the bonus 11th episode it might be better than the previous 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

thats actually really interesting (from a comic fan pov). So basically I have gone in almost blank (vague memory of the comic), so I wasn't bothered much ha (the Constantine genderswap was my only 'distraction' I think) epi1-5/6, and then it gets 'too much' for me on the second arc - but for you the distraction was too much caused by the nonsensible changes they shoehorned in aha.

So yes, for me, 'The Message' is so important that they really ruined overall experience for me. Definitely don't mind for season2 but can't say I would be excited to wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

ended up crap started well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just finished the bonus episode Dream of a thousand cats/Calliope which were stand alone stories from the comic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3, really getting sucked into this. The world, even the waking one, has such an evocative texture. It was obviously a conscious decision that our world would itself have a certain visual oddness about it. Nothing seemed real, places like the church Constantine went to just had a strange sense to its space.

Oh and I know what has made this feel different: no audience surrogate. A dozen different versions of this would have pivoted around some innocent, a convenient character new to this world of gods and demons. This enabling lots of clunky exposition beloved of the imagination deprived. Nope. Sandman trusts the intelligence of the audience to just run with it from the outset, that we'll pick up details as we go.

Just finished watching these.. wiki calls em a two-part episode 11.. okay

11: Dream of a Thousand Cats

Thought this was clever enough. At the start there was a gravestone and I got a bit freaked out when I googled it because a result came back:

Turns out it was the directors father:

11: Calliope

This one felt a bit wierd. I'd taken away an idea from the series that

Dream doesn't get involved but did here.. plus it conflicted a bit with the idea of not helping in hell.. maybe that'll be a setup for the future then.. maybe something of a rescue

On the elusive Second Season; Neil Gaimen hasn't heard anything and seems a bit sceptical; but stats have shown it to be a very popular watch. Not sure if they're official or unofficial mind you.

Gaiman's comments show how ludicrous Netflix programming policy has become: the largest global show over the last couple of weeks, but still may not be Big Enough for the streamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Last 4 episodes were a slog. Was loving it before that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I started watching this last week, enjoyed the first few episodes. As usual Netflix are over the top woke but WTF was that cafe scene with the serial killers normalising pedophilia? Something along the lines of "what age do you think the waiter is?" 16 or 17 too old for you....he looks younger though. Last I checked below 16 was a child, how are they getting away with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Glebee

Same as that, really struggled towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Agree with the above. The story in the first half was really good. But the second half went really down hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

As mentioned by lots of people, first half of the series was really enjoyable and interesting. Second half was very hard work and could be given up from episode 7 onwards. Found it hard work to finish the series which was a shame

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am finding it hard going tbh. I am on episode 8 and it wouldn't bother me not completing it if I didn't have OCD about these things. Overall it is a big disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Same as others here, first half was brilliant but the last few episodes were a slog to get through

That is true. Spends the first 6 episodes

Recovering all his artifacts and then doesn't use them again for the rest of the series.

Also zero character development of the supposed main character in the whole series. I don't think he is a very good actor.

The cereal episode is a load of shyte as was the diner episode.

I finished episode 9 so will probably finish the series but it is no longer an enjoyable experience

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've watched 6 episodes in 2 days, really enjoying it so far.

The only poor episode for me was the Diner one, it was too drawn out.

Its beautifully shot with a haunting soundtrack by David Buckley.

The acting is good and I like the serious tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Doctor D destroys the power jewel, releasing Dreams power back to him. His sand was seen when he was creating dreams and nightmares..... and will be seen in future series, hopefully.

The Diner episode, I though was fantastic. watched it 3 times now. When I read the graphic novel, I remember thinking, no way can this ever be filmed. They did a magnificent job...

I recommend the graphic novels, or the Absolute versions, for people who know this is good, want to get into it, because The Sandman will never have an equal for many people. I don't think a ground breaking story, artists and overall vision, will ever be seen again. He created a whole Mythos that rivals Greek, Roman, Norse mythology.

The first 2 graphic Novels, Gaiman was finding his feet, only really understanding what the Endless were, what he created.. the 3rd, with the Caliope story I think he clicked where it was going... Then the next 7 graphic novels just surprised everyone with what he created...

But the latter 4 episodes of the season, which is essentially the Dolls House Graphic novel, is key.

read the comic..

Advertisement