Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 saccaromyces

Thank you for that, I will look into the bigger battery, good tip about the optimiser, makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Thought as much - just said I'd post for info of the gouging that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Seems a decent price. My only thoughts on the spec, given the space restrictions, did you suss out whether they be able to supply slightly higher wattage on the panels? I guess it would only be the difference between 385w and say 410w, so marginal gains but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Hi, I would be very grateful to get opinions on this quote. Based on the formula used regularly on here I think it's close to €1k above guidance but maybe not too bad in the current market?

5.74 kWp (14*410 Longi)

2 * optimisers

6 kW Solis Inverter

4 kWh WeCo battery

Eddi

Final cost incl. vat and grant €10,100.

• Advertisement

based on some sage opinion on here, consider dropping the Eddi and just heat the DHW using night rate (either smart or D\N tariff)... might be an option and will decrease pay back period.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Hi,

Opinions on my quotes, our current usage is approx 6400kWh/year, we are about to upgrade to a heat pump, but have no EV's yet! 

9.13 kWp (22*415 Jinko panels) quoted 8606kWh/year

6 kW Huawei Inverter

5 kWh Huawei battery

Eddi

Final cost incl. vat and grant €17,200.

Quoted 8-12 week delivery.

Second quote with no specifics supplied from the supplier(they are a large nationwide player)

20 panels(german origin) to generate 6615 kWh annually,

5kWh Battery(english origin)

Eddi

Final cost inc grant €19,871.

Thanks for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

manshay, they might not be a million miles away. On bigger systems it is definitely possible to achieve or beat the current rule of thumb of 1200e/KW etc

😎

@manshay neither, way over inflated. and don't touch 'large nationwide player' or similar, gouging on the bandwagon!.. and same advice as above re. Eddi, read the forum for experienced users advice re. Eddi's economic logic

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Thanks @jkforde . I've been reading a lot of the debate on here around the pros and cons of the Eddi, and while I understand the economics of it are questionable, I'm still leaning towards getting it due to the convenience element, e.g. set and forget, better for evening baths/showers, and summer DHW without oil.

Assuming I stick with the Eddi does my quote of around €10k seem reasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr Beaumont

Hi,

Thanks for all the useful info on PV panels. I have a quote that I would love some feedback on;

• Ground mounted system with me putting in all the trunking but not the ground mount itself
    • REC Solar Panels

5.250 kW Total Solar Power

14 x 375 Watt Panels (REC375TP4)

• Inverter - Huawei

6.000 kW Total Inverter Rating

• Battery - Huawei

5 kWh Total Battery Storage

• Eco-Smart Energy Diverter

3.68 kW eco-smart energy diverter, 230V AC Single Phase, Rated

• 1 x Eddi

Quote = euro 14,400 net of grant

Would appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks

5.25*1200=6300 for panels

5/2*1000=2500 for battery

500 for eddi

=9300euro, probably add 10 or 15% for huawei = 10700e net of grant.

No idea how to factor ground mount into price. It sounds like the ground mount is costing about 3500. That destroys your economics in my opinion. However you probably wont get it much cheaper without doing most of it DIY, and it is not all about price for many people. Is there a reason you dont want to use a roof? If return on investment is important then I suggest doing a basic excel sheet - suspect return is about 15 years (thus a poor investment) without doing any calculations.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

The installer did actually mention that he could use the higher watt panels for little extra cost. Then he went up on the roof to measure and said the whole thing is going to be tight for space, so unlikely the bigger panels will fit. He seems honest enough and knows that I want to get the max panels and wattage that I can on the roof. Suppose we'll have to see on the day what can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

What's the average price per kw now? Last winter when I was looking through here, it seemed to be about 1k per kw, I had a qoute from up north of the country 6kw with hybrid inverter and 5kw battery for less than 11k.

The install I'm considering now would be without a battery as I can move a lot of energy useage to day rate rather than nightrate and I also have an ev. I would like to install as many panels as would fit, my house is southfacing and I'm considering northfacing panels as well but don't know if that is a good or bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mr Beaumont

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Our roof is not South facing and there are high trees around it and we have space so that is why I chose the ground mount system.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

So SAAS contacted me this week. 8 X 400W panels INCL water heater for 49.50 a month over 10 years. Works out just shy of 6k after grant - good thing about it is you can clear the remaining balance in lump sums if you wish over the course of the 10 years. Think Ill go for it.Install time is 10 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Push them for an extra panel or two they are open to bargaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mason19

I have a new still in the box 5kw dyness battery if anyone's interested.. bought through wholesalers but I am moving abroad so need for it now. I would take €2000 for it.

Please DM me the spec or model # Mason. Many thanks

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HumanRightsNGO

Small south facing two up/two down terrace in Dublin 8.

Quote from *****.

7 panels Longi Solar (405wp) = 2.8 kWp

Sofar Inverter 2.0

3 x Optimisers

Dyness 2.4 kWh battery

(We have a combination gas boiler so can't do an eddi)

-------

Solar PV System €8890

Vat: €1200

Price in vat: €10090

SEAI Grant: €2040

Net Price: €8050

--------

What do people think of this? Is it reasonable? Any other places you think might do better? Wish I could get more power out of the system but that seems to be it with them. Open to people DM me if they have better locations worth speaking to.

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

By water heater do you mean eddi?

I know a man that was offered that by a similar style pay by month company for an extra tenner a month.. that's 1200 euro for a unit I bought off the shelf for him for 468 in VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

Hi everyone,

I think a while back there was a sheet shared with quotes where people placed info into and could basically look up what each company and for a set up quoted for... Is that somewhere still available? I am looking into getting it done in a few months and would like to get few recommendations. Looking into solar + battery system.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep its an eddi af far as I know. It probably over priced alright but just seems an easy way to get into solar - especially when I dont have €10k+ upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

For sure, but, I'd like to know how much the eddi is costing within that deal, because if its 1200 euro I'd do without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

@DC999 from 10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

quick side note. It's defo worth your while seeing if you can really only fit 4 panels. A small shed likely fits that. We got 16 (1m wide x 1.7m high) onto a small '2 up, 2 down' house. Includes 5 of them on an extension flat roof. So I would guess it's not space that is the issue.

Maybe you already said you have other older panels or solar thermal on the roof. Or one roof is pure North (and even then it's a possible runner for a cheap DIY setup down the line). We have a few on a NW roof output is and grand up to this time if the year. Others told me that's crap in Winter but working find to this point.

Take some pics on the roof maybe and pop into into the quotes thread asking for suggestions. Some shade can be worked around with optimisers. We had vent pipes causing shade so cut them down a little in height and no more shade.

@DC999 continuing here from the other thread...

I've had 3 solar installers look at my roof and none of them thought I had enough space to install. My roof faces due South at the rear but has an attic conversion with 3 windows, so not much space left for panels. Here's a photo with measurements to give you an idea:

I thought I had just about enough space until I was told that regulations require that panels are fitted 50cm from the roof edge.

I have some space on my shed roof which is about 6 meters from the house. This roof is almost flat with about a 5-degree incline from rear wall (from the narrower part of the roof). This roof is technically North facing because of the angle but gets sun all day during summer, in winter there is some shading from the wall at the back and side. The installers didn't consider using it worthwhile option .

I have recently considered solar thermal panels but was advised against that option as a retrofitted air source heat pump wouldn't work with it (or make use of the new hot water cylinder required for solar thermal). My gas boiler is nearly 15 years old and with a heat pump whenever it gives up.

So that's it, I'd love to install some panels but obviously it would have to be worthwhile in terms of power generation and payback. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks!

Post edited by electricus on

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

SEAI guidelines state gap from ridge is 20cm, gap from edge is 50cm. You should be able to get 5 panels on the house roof within regulations. 4 in portrait on lower part and maybe 1 in portrait between velux. I can't see how you could get more than 3 panels on garage. That's 8 panels in total.....for me....that's just about borderline worth it....just about

Post edited by JaCrispy on

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭electricus

Thanks for checking. 8 high output panels wouldn't be too bad if it could be done. Are there any technical difficulties with having the shed panels so far away or on an almost flat roof? I'd be installing the solar controller in the attic space.

I'll call a few more calls to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Louthman7

I think I know the company. I had a similar experience and was told I would get a discount for putting up their sign in the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Louthman7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement