Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Delighted for Ciara with that result and breaking Sonia's record. I got the race time mixed up so saw the result on twitter before watching the race on the stream. Brilliant to see it coming together for her now, given the injury early in her career she is still on the upward trajectory and should hopefully get a few more strong years out of it. Again Mageean and Muir at the finish line are a joy to behold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Still can't believe that time from Mageean, I mean it's elite level stuff. The women's 1500m is so strong right now that that time still wouldn't be enough to medal at Worlds/Olympic level, but if Ciara is healthy and in PB shape in Budapest next Summer then she'll certainly be in the medal conversation if one of the big guns slip up.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My goodness. You beat me to it. If this was any other athlete you’d have the usual suspects (you included) crying foul.

Ciara is clean. 30 is far from over the hill.

Not necessarily. Drugs don’t guarantee you win. Talent and raw speed is also a huge factor. Ciara had not got raw speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She does at 1500m. She has races 800m more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

What's your point? I never said 30 was over the hill, I see Covid and the new Boards hasn't changed your $hite style of debating. I said, and I (and 95% of the athletics community) believe that a 3.5 second improvement at that age is something to query. I see that no-one has addressed that part of my post where I said most here would be up in arms if it was any other nationality runner that went and did that.

Some have said it's the shoes......... 'could be'. Or the fact that she's rarely had such a nice stretch of injury free prep, also a possibility. But I insist, a 3.5 second improvement in the 1500 after running it for 12 years or so, c'mon!!! You don't think it's a little suspicious?

No, not suspicious at all. And you certainly implied 30 was over the hill, or at least too old to be hitting PBs, which is a nonsense.

And relax with your digs. I actually agree with your point about if this was another nationality athlete the usual folks would be crying foul. So that was my point!!!

You obviously got a bit salty because I included you in that group.

She’s clean. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 phelimcas

Happy to see a discussion on the improvement and the NR for Ciara.

I posted earlier that I expected her to go under 4:00 based on her sustained good form over the summer and also her more astute tactical running. The shoe technology also helps. Even she herself was surprised at a 3:56.

As to her hopes of getting a medal at Worlds next year I think it's a long shot although she should make the final if fit.

The standard in the event is historically high and with Faith Kipyegon possibly the best of all time, a rested Laura Muir and Ethiopians and others with potential to run 3:54 or lower it's a big ask.

You constantly put words in people's mouths. I didn't say 30 was over the hill. I didn't even say a p.b was strange at that age. I said a really big p.b IS strange. Do you agree with that?

As for your 'she's clean'. You don't know that, and I don't know it.

Whatever. You clearly implied that PBs at 30 should raise a flag. Quit trying to wriggle out of this. You said what she did is not normal. That’s nonsense, and insulting to her.

There will always be people ready to piss and moan over someone’s great achievements. No different to you here.

Ciara raced brilliantly. It all went so well for her. Great conditions, good track, and most importantly, a class athlete for that night feeling great and performing great. She ran 3:56, not 3:50.

She is clean. So stop trying to sully her name here.

I agree with you on the actual point you made about had it been an athlete from another country. So no idea why you’re wasting your time trying to argue that. World is full of people who are stupidly suspicious and OTT about sports performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Great 2nd place there. Queen ended the tv coverage so went to youtube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Managed to catch the last 2 laps of Ciara's race. Brilliant for her. She looks like a different runner out there, sometimes we really undervalue what an important part of performance confidence plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

When was drug speculation allowed on this forum?

could a mod clarify maybe?

Thanks

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you have a problem with a particular post. Please report it, you know this, we can't be reading every post in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Another amazing run by Ciara tonight - it's great to see the confidence and self belief she now has, competing with the worlds best 😃.

I did. The post is still there. Does this mean drug speculation is now allowed?

Its an honest and genuine question, I’m not looking to antagonise anyone.

Thanks

PS. You are actually posting in this thread so I find it hard to believe you haven’t seen the numerous drug speculation posts.

I await for your please don’t discuss moderation in thread reply.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think there's a difference between speculation and accusations, a clear distinction which can be seen on the thread. I agree that outright accusations shouldn't be allowed, but I also don't think we should go down a rabbit hole of not even being allowed to question sudden, unexpected improvements in an athletes time. (I think Ciara is 100% clean btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Agreed. Another excellent performance backing up her results throughout the season. Terrific to see her beating all the top Ethiopians. Laura Muir looked quite tired and ragged. I guess that’s to be expected after such a grueling year.

Looking forward to see what next year brings for Ciara. Would love to see her make the world and Olympic finals in the coming seasons.

IMO speculation is a thinly veiled accusation.

However, to quote the forum charter

• “No doping talk! Please no speculation on which athletes may be doping”

Numerous posts here are contravening this.

Again, maybe a mod could clarify?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think two fair questions. There is clearly doping speculation here - I think to be fair, this is understandable and I think Ciara Mageean herself would understand the reasons why. On the other hand - if its against the charter its against the charter. Walk the walk.

Myself, I dont believe for a second that she is doping - obviously as pointed out earlier, none of us know for sure in relation to Mageean or Muir or Kipyegon or any other athlete if they are doping or not.

I think what we are seeing here is a athlete realising her full potential. And yes, it can take ten years to do that. Different coaches, different training methods, different equipment. That Brussels tracks seems a particularly fast track, and weather was perfect. It was similar IIRC when Thomas Barr scored a big PB in the Olympic final.

As to last nights race - arguably its her best performance of the season.

Faith Kipyegon is the greatest 1500m runner of alltime, the race was of a standard that would not be out of place at World Championship final.

Arguably the pity is that she didnt run the World Championships given her form, but thats by the by- she is doing it now and on a big stage.

Anyone got a link to last night’s race please.

Another terrific performance from Ciara which is great to see the consistency there now. The confidence has really grown there to match the ability, it was great that she pushed on at the end to nab the second place where if she has checked out at all she could have easily ended up in 4th but backed herself and again rewarded.

I did wonder did she regret not being more aggressive with 400 to go, and challenging Kipyegon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Look, there's lots I could pull out of that but I'll keep it to that last bit. The world is full of people who stupidly think no-one (cept maybe those nasty Russians) dopes in elite sport. That's what the world is full of.

I'd like to think CM is clean but yes I have my doubts. Ten or more years running the distance but she never had a well paced race on a decent track till now. She been running around muddy fields all this while? Ten or more years at 1500 and not once under 4. Think about it.

Unless of course the new New Balance shoes are extra extra special.

This is pretty much an accusation. It reads like this. I think you should retract it. I think it's grossly unfair to Ciara.

I'll bow out now.

• Advertisement

I did wonder at the time but given the race had been slow to that point I guess she knew what she could do over the last lap. Not sure how much clear thought they can have in strategy around in this but if you know the runner moving ahead of you has got a faster lap than you there's always that stick or twist thought. It worked for her to go against Muir in the previous race but she was just too far back from Kipyegon and maybe hoped that she might come back to her if she could get herself into second/third place.

Advertisement