Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

This story will end up on the back pages due to Lizzie dying and cost of living :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭black & white

Re what the council spent, a house just around the corner from me was rented out for years and about 4 years ago the owner did it up so as to sell, new floors, decorating, upgraded the kitchen, built a new boundary fence and it was eventually sold to Clare council. They gutted it, windows, new floors, redecorating, stove, new boundary wall , brand new kitchen. They must have spent at least 30k so maybe all councils want to waste money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

That would be fair enough if it was just a standard house the council had bought. But Troy was claiming he put €44,000 worth of work into the house - in 3 months between buying and selling the house, which doubled the value of the property from 80k to 160k. Which by itself is highly questionable, but would suggest the house had been renovated to a high standard.

But then on top of that according to the council's list of work done after purchasing it they were required to "replace existing windows, doors and soffits, improve the heating system, replace bathroom floors with non-slip tiles, replace kitchen units and boundary treatment.”

So one would have to ask exactly what work Troy got done for 44k if it didn't involve even replacing the windows on the house, something thats usually top of the list for anyone renovating a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

M. Martin was in the media yesterday talking about costs of living measures for the Budget. And look at who is beside him in the photos and news footage.

I often wondered about the thought process behind which crony does and doesn't get pictured beside the Taoiseach. Someone who is in danger of losing their seat and needs the publicity? Someone whose reputation they are trying to rehabilitate? Or some up and coming great young hope? Or perhaps just whatever cute hoor manages to elbow his way into the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

I was actually wondering exactly this yesterday and thinking to myself how did that lad get front and centre after all the controversy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

MM was down at some gig in or around Mullingar.

Troy arrived with him in his (MM’s) state car according to one journo on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Troy hasn't left MM side since the think in started. If this is some sort of FF cockeyed plan to rehabilitate Troy it is going to back, it is seen more as a FU to people than anything else. Troy should have been hidden in a press and told not to come out till after everyone has left the building.

I'd agree. The Troy scandal is everything FF have been desperately trying to escape since the 2008 crash - dodgy property deals and tax avoidance/evasion (take your pick). They've spent a decade+ trying to kill that public perception of them as "gone with Bertie", only for Troy to show its still completely accurate today. And its even more damaging now in the middle of a housing crisis.

Keeping Troy in the public eye, and tied to MM, this way is only likely to hurt FF nationwide more. If they shoved him out of the way somewhere away from the cameras at least it'd keep most of the damage to just his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Anyone think they will give im Finance seems still front and center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

FF are fcuked anyway, MM will be gone to Europe/retirement soon enough and its the likes of Troy who they have/had trusted as the future of the party. Sh1t sticks, and FF have been swimming it for near 15 years now. They were gifted an opportunity to present themselves as, basically Not-FG, but (and i hate giving him credit) Varadkar and co ran rings around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It is bizarre that FF and Martin especially has put Troy front and centre of this think in, I don't get it, is it that Martin is so arrogant that he just doesn't give a crap how this is seen and is just giving 2 fingers to the electorate? It's nuts, we had FG ministers running back into a hotel at their think in when protesters were walking up the street and then you have FF putting Troy front and centre of their think in. As you say "its Bizarre".

MM sold out FF to become Taoiseach, I think that is pretty clear to most people except those it seems who are hanging onto Martins coat tails. Varadkar and FG have ridden FF solid in the coalition, it looks like FG can do what they like, Varadkar leaking confidential documents, Coveney getting Zappone a job, Varadkar having AG change covid rules because he attended a party when he shouldn't have to name but a few whereas you have Dara Callerly go to a golf dinner and gets sacked. Now we have this Finance Minister fiasco coming up, do they give away another influential position in Europe just so Varadkar can be Taoiseach or do they screw FF and say this is too important and Donohue needs to stay as finance Minister, but alas that is all for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The TD declarations is still rumbling on. According to the Journal (not a Twitter dump) 7 TD's have declared rental properties but have said that they did not receive any rental income from the properties. Its a bit strange unless they have people living in the rental properties for free. One TD who has 18 of these properties must be running some sort of charity, 18 rental properties but doesn't have any rental income from any of them. hmmmm

Must have mad money if you can leave 18 lay idle. 🤨

Send in Revenue for heaven's sake. Utter chancers. Saying they have no rental income above 2600 in the current housing crisis is simply fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

While you could be right just thinking about this, I was talking to a person who manages a development office with 260 apartments in the development and she told me that a landlord told her the following,

Rent: €750 per month

Tax: €420

management costs: €120

Income left: €210 (unless a new Fridge, washing machine, or any other problems needing checking over the month)

Total for year is €2520 (Again unless a new Fridge, washing machine, or any other problems needing checking over the year)

€750 a month for an entire apartment? Is the development in a timewarp to the year 1998?

Sounds like affordable housing Run by a consortium.

• Advertisement

it is a one bed Apartment in Market Point Mullingar, and I lived in a one bed there and my rent was €650 a month, till I got notice in Aug 21 to quit in April 22 as they were selling the Apartment.

The most recent apartment sold there was for €165,000 in May of this year. €650 a month rent is only €9000 a year, a yield of only 4.7%, so you were likely underpaying significantly. The average rental yield in in Ireland is 6.64%, so you should have been paying closer to €900 a month.

Which is still one of the cheapest parts of the country to rent in so not exactly representative. The average rent for a 1 bed apartment in Dublin was €1643 a month last November, its likely 10% higher now.

The vast majority of landlords who own apartments in Ireland are getting *far* more than €750 a month rent for them.

For the record my landlord put her ground floor one apartment up for sale at €125,000 and has gone sale agreed since mid-June 22.

The development has 260 apartments made of mainly two bed apartments followed by a number of one bed apartments and three bed apartments.

In my block there was 35 apartments broken down to 20 two bed apartments, 10 one bed apartments and 5 three bed apartments.

With so many of the TD's in the Dáil being so forgetful that they can remember if they own a property or have an interest in a property, I am beginning to wonder if they are capable of being a TD. Here we have another FF'er Senator Ollie Crowe not just forgetting that owned a property but that he actually owned a pub with his name above the door. This on top of Stephen Donnelly accidently becoming a landlord twice and also failing to declare it. You would think that after what happened with Troy that the leaders of the parties would have sent out a memo to all their TD's and Senators to make sure everything was correct in their declarations and yet still we have this still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah, seems to be a deficit in information coming from that quarter for a long time.

unfortunately Pat has a great regard for the ‘lovable rogue’ and the ‘fixer’.Is high in his book of heroes.So instead of of dealing those chancers with the proverbial well planted deck shoe into the bollox they are revered and admired.

Cannot understand that mentality mesell.

Thats why so many of them get elected

Niall Collins now or should it be Niall O'Connor. Being corrupt must be a requirement for being part of FFG.

This is the reason why successive FFG governments have not brought in recommended reforms. Recommended by expensive tribunals. They create bills and then block them. It's a joke. There is still a massive culture of Cronyism and Corruption. They hide it better but there are very few agencies policing it anyway. Look at SIPO, begging for more powers for many years. FFG elites ignore them.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Is the housing crisis partially caused by TD's and Senators owning all the houses 😉?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm not defending him but the Collins situation seems less blatant/provable than the Troy or English ones. From a quick reading of the story, Collins lived with his parents until 1999, bought a house, then applied for PP in 2001, giving his parents' address? When adults move out of the family home there is usually a period where they give their address as the family home, still receive correspondence to the family home etc. This can go on for years and is usually IME due to laziness/sloppiness rather than skullduggery. Successful skullduggery takes more brains than most of them have.

As for his wife's maiden name appearing in the newspaper notice, he can possibly wriggle out if that by blaming the planning agent. A lot of people employed to do a job are fcukin useless with poor attention to detail. Mixing up names is the sort of thing they do. Also, similar to the address situation, women can change their name after marriage yet for years they are referred to by their maiden name. Then when John Smith and Mary Smith (nee Jones) engage a planning agent, I could see them being so incompetent that they give the name John Jones to the newspaper.

Also, my understanding is that copies of newspaper notices form part of the planning process and are kept in planning files. The PP should have been refused if there was a discrepancy with the name - but that would require Council officials to do their jobs.

Now, if Collins signed a document where his name is given as Niall O'Connor then it is game, set and match for The Ditch.

Advertisement