Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II dies

Options

Comments

Twitter and other social media was made for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ThePentagon

Some of the obsequiousness today towards QE2 on social media (much of it from Irish people) has been cringe-inducing.

Like yourself I had nothing against her personally - she seemed quite a pleasant, dignified woman - but people talk about her as if she cured cancer.

He seems to have you as his unofficial spokesperson at this stage- what does he eat for breakfast considering you know Him so well

Jesus peak elitist snobbery is pouring out of you and meeting “nobodies” oh the horror one must endure. Pass me the sick bucket. Give your head a wobble and have some self respect you embarrassing sycophant. The queen the worlds biggest victim according to some, what sheltered lives some people lead. Deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,999 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can one choose not to take over as the next in line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

Reminds of that time that Diana and Mother Teresa died within days of each other.

(Almost exactly a quarter of a century ago. I’m feckin old.)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭boetstark

So you come on a forum which discusses the recent death of HRM Quenn Elizabeth to say you don't give a shite about her death , does that not strike you as odd ?

Anyway I wish that the people who obviously have no time for the UK and the Royal family would say nothing if they have nothing nice to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Never never never. ..Ian Paisley, Maggie and now the queen. Funny how times change. Pity they weren't around to see SF steamroll the next election in the south, biggest party north and south. A precursor to the enevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would a same sex monarch be accept if it turns out that way in the future ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,368 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would raise interesting questions on succession. Say they adopted, or had a child with a partner who provided the sperm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not often you see in one family..

Queen Mother…101

Prince Philip….99

Queen…96

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Presided over many atttocities in this country. Good riddence

Must be that awfully, tremendously , difficult life they all had to lead according to some on here, really takes it toll on the body…

And don’t get me started on how taxing it is on the body to attend an event and briefly chat to “nobodies” . As taxing on the body as smoking 100 per day…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I have no problem with any state holding their monarchy as long as that monarchy has no political power, as is the case in the UK.

It seems to me there are those who don't favour a country holding on to it's history, as if countries and a sense of national identity aren't important anymore in this new age of multiculturalism.

This attitude is of course the complete opposite of nationalism.

Imo there is a happy medium between the two, but if the Left are intent on ridiculing national identity, and even attempting to get rid of it, there will be troubled times ahead, not only in the UK but here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Not a Royal fan buts she has been around since I was born. Will be strange to see charles before he abdicates. It's kind of the last remnants of the British Empire gone now. If charles does go may have a smaller more energised set of Royals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i think you'll find that was her own country...

criticizing the woman on the day she dies is bad taste

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Yeah Don't really get it but not Irish. She did normalise relations with the UK and even spoke Irish what more do people want. She basically apologised in the way she could without going that far.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not much different than many who follow Michael D Higgins. Miggeldy can't put a foot wrong in the eyes of his followers, setting up account for the dogs and knitting tea cosies 🙄 He's just as bad milking the system for everything possible. Same with Gay Byrne, everyone fawning over him and to be honest his true nature showed when he interviewed Anne Murphy and Stephen Fry.

No fan of the royals and the monarchy needs to be done away with but there are many Irish that just look for anything to give out about the English. Lot of people just showing a really bitter and twisted side to themselves today while they usually would attack anyone who would behave in a similar way to another person. Can guarantee they will be back to trying to get people canceled for their beliefs or going on about their metal health being affected by people not being nice to them. Just a pity they wouldn't spend all that energy on your own politicians and the problems in our own country.

The behavour by some today is not doing the Irish image any favours and it's this type of attitude that keeps the troubles going in the north. Is shouting lizzies in the box or making jokes any better than the idiots up the north burning flags and election posters? I will give credit to Michelle O'Neill today for her reserve and respectful tribute. The are plenty of people who die in Ireland every day that are probably complete and utter bas*ards that deserve more to be mocked and abused at their death. Would those mocking today like the death of a family member to be treated the same way? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Here is the order of succession, with some oddities in some generations as to if it goes to oldest child or oldest son first.

William and Harry's kids being oldest kid first, Edwards kids being son first. The law of succession having been changed just before Williams first kid was born.

I think you underestimate the yearning for tradition whose roots reach deep into the history of a nation.

I don't think the idea of a monarchy is more 'absurd' than the concept of Halloween, a Christmas tree, or St Patrick's Day. There is a silliness to the thing, but then many things are silly - including narcissistic presidents. The monarchy in Britain is something that goes back to the 800s, if not before. The monarchs are custodians of heritage. They hold a thread that goes right back to the beginning. In that vein, a constitutional monarchy is far superior to a republic's president - presidencies very often become about the man and the ego - a la Putin, Trump, Hussein, Jingping, and all the other egomaniacs who actively seek and crave power because they think they're better than everyone and worthy of the history books.

A constitutional king or queen has no such need. They don't seek power - instead, status is thrust upon them whether they want it or not. We have nothing like this in Ireland, which is why you hear almost nothing about Irish figures before 1798 and the advent of republicanism. I would prefer it if we had some extant lineages in Ireland who we could look to for a bit of pageantry and continuity rather than the Marxist musings of miggeldy higgins, or the unfathomable arrogance of someone like Mary Robinson who considers herself to be one of 'the elders'.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,123 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Princess Charlotte is 3rd in line of succession.

Who knows ?

Stranger things can happen .

Elizabeth was never expected to be Queen , her father never expected to have to take over from his brother.

On another note saw a pic today of her smiling but stooped , in the drawing room in Balmoral , waiting to greet Liz Truss the other day , her small hands blackened and bruised holding her walking stick ( From falling or from anticoagulant therapy , I was trying to diagnose her ! )

In any other 'job' she would have been retired years ago and especially after the death of her also fairly long lived spouse. I thought it sad really despite the privilege she was born into that she was still expected to be on duty .

Definitely from another time when life of service meant life .

It is mean of people to suggest that this was easy work always . Might have been pleasant at times but not as an old lady .

While the idea of monarchy is outdated and a bit repulsive to me , in these difficult times for so many , the woman herself was to be admired for her determination and spark . You can see why so many people across the UK loved her .

I was partially won over when she visited Ireland , and was respectful and made a real effort . A smart , dignified , old lady .

Partially though ;)

RIP .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cool your jets, lad. Nobody made her out to be a victim, whatever you’re waffling about. Some people can just acknowledge and respect her enduring duty and service to her people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

New stamps, royal appointments and money amoungst other changes to be made now. British identity is going to take a serious hit with her loss.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If the Prime Minister was murdered, maybe.

In ref to a coup. They are preparing for the worst case scenario, as they should do. Just say for example some folk wanted to end the monarchy and thought it would be a good time to storm Buckingham Palace. Or the new King decided to go on a mad one and with the help of the armed forces that supreme rule is back.

Or....they believe or there is a strong rumour that The Queen would have been murdered.

As I said, they have to prepare for the worst possible case scenario. They have to prepare for batshit crazy scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Shape shifting lizard people never die lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Advertisement