Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good results tonight, if you're a Derry fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I genuinely think when a game is live on tv the players go into their shell and are afraid to make a mistake or something, probably why a lot are playing at this level and their ability to handle a bit of extra pressure and exposure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

**** hell, not sure where we were hiding that performance.

Feely, Kelly, Burt, Twardek... Just **** immense, every player on that team.

Credit to Rovers for the gesture at the start for Mono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

If they were afraid to make mistakes it didn't stop them.

Didn't think it was a bad game for a nil nil. Either team could have nicked it.

Speedy recovery to Conor Kane.

The dead cat bounce from Bohs tonight. As much a certainty as death and taxes.

Be interesting to see if Derry can apply a bit of pressure to Rovers over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Idiotic second yellow from Watts (not to mention the first) and he was always going to do it because modern players are encouraged to foul automatically whenever they get the wrong side or get beaten by an opponent. It's such a bad strategy, particularly at lower levels of the game where the opposition will squander the chance at least 95% of the time anyway.

It'd be nice if commentators would stop using the word "pace" whenever they make some lazy comment about Aaron Greene. He has never had spectacular pace in his time with us and these days he frequently jogs offside and strolls onside throughout the match, which makes him a "workhorse" apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

3 points for us but we made it much harder for ourselves with poor finishing against a game but limited Harps. Sam Curtis will be one of the next lads off soon enough, excellent defending for a 17 year old.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bohs showed up tonight and by God we needed it after the last couple of weeks.

The gesture from Rovers to Mono was not something that was expected but it was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Thanks for limiting the away tickets......having been there on many of the bad nights Im glad I missed that s* .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It seems to have worked, no issues with the crowd at all. Unfortunately it's probably the way forward for the safety of the players and volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I was right at the front of the away end a couple of times on Friday and the pitch actually looks even worse in person! How they're allowed play matches on that is beyond shambolic!

Post edited by Gavin "shels" on

I honestly think they wouldn't have one the leagues they did if they didn't have that pitch. The bounce off it is bizarre at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Any old timers here may remember Richie Brooks of Cork Celtic who has passed away. RIP. Part of the team when Cork soccer was on a high with massive crowds at Celtic Hibs derbies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah I wouldn’t go that far. They were an exceptional team. Not sure what the split between their home and away points was in those years, but it wasn’t like they could only win at Oriel.

However, having said that.... Yeah, the pitch is a thundering disgrace and if I had my way I’d ban all artificial pitches. Thought Derry’s wasn’t too bad the first time I saw it, but I’ve long since got over that notion. Hate watching matches on those excuse for pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sligo to lose the points from the win over Dundalk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sounds to me like they were initially told he wasn't suspended for the match, and then were later told he was, but ignored the second one.

As long as the latest communication from the FAI said he was suspended (and was received before the match), they haven't a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this.

I can only assume that there is an official channel for informing the clubs of suspension(s) and when the suspension(s) take effect.

Maybe some poster here might know what's in the rule book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why allow the guy to play then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The way we handle suspensions in the league has always been ridiculous. You have guys getting their 5th yellow card in a game on a Monday, playing Friday and then being suspended the following Friday. It makes absolutely no sense.

Rules surrounding suspensions are clear and concise elsewhere. Why do we have to make it so complicated here? McDonnell was booked against Pats on the 14th but was eligible to play against Harps on the 19th and then banned against Dundalk on the 29th supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Monday nights yellow cards dont count until a week later? I vaguely recall a Cork City player playing on Friday after a red on Monday.

Sligo won the match fairly though and the result should stand

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

If Sligo lose the points, will Dundalk get them, or will nobody get points, (as if the game never happened)??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Suspect if Sligo are found guilty of playing a suspended player Dundalk will be awarded the 3 points & IIRC a 3-0 win is recorded with the original result expunged.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Looks like the club intend to fight it all the way. Hopefully that "contradictory advice" is in an email and the FAI haven't a leg to stand on. If the FAI advised the club that McDonnell was out for the Drogheda game then that should be case closed.

Although this is the club that have a player on loan from Leipzig for the next year who can't play for them or go back to Leipzig because someone at the club screwed up his registration.

You'd never think the club has a fulltime CEO.

3-0 win awarded to Dundalk. Any slim hopes of Europe gone now. Looks like another administration error.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

By who?

Rovers or the F.A.I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So if in doubt just don’t play the fixture and get like pats the game rescheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Sligo's statement is now admitting they made an error but claiming the omission of McDonnell from the FAI's weekly suspension list contributed to their error, they are still seeking legal advice

Almost reminds me of Wexford making repeated player admin errors in less than a season losing points a few years back

Rovers need to sort out the administration side of things as this is 2 massive mistakes in about 6 weeks. First failing to register Hartmann on the player portal before the deadline and now this. I assume we'll be fined (?) so add that fine to whatever the Hartmann mistake is costing us in wages and you'd probably have enough salary to pay a full time administrator and avoid this type of thing happening. I love that we're a community owned and run club but there are some areas that we should have professionals in charge of and this is one of them.

The FAI aren't blameless here either and the whole suspensions process needs to be overhauled as it is ridiculous. There's no need for it to be so complicated in this day and age with the technology we have available. Why the **** are there 2 lists and why are they different? The list of suspensions made available to the media doesn't have McDonnell on it but he's listed as suspended on the "officially official" list apparently.

The system could be computerised and made foolproof by a programmer in few hours. Let the referees send in their match reports as they currently do but also have them manually enter yellows/reds from their game into an online database immediately post-match. That database can be available to all clubs at all times showing who is suspended in the next game. End this nonsense with players picking up a 5th yellow, playing in the next match and then serving the ban 2 weeks after the offense took place. I was chatting to a friend about this earlier and he laughed when I explained the system we have.

Back in 2010 our captain Richie Ryan picked up his 8th yellow of the season in a 2-1 win against Bray on October 5th and was due a ban.

He played in 4 games following this: Dundalk on Oct 9th, Bohs in the cup semi on Oct 15th, UCD on Oct 22nd and Pats on Oct 29th.

The FAI then banned him and Matthew Blinkhorn for the cup final against Shams on Nov 14th due to yellows they had picked up 4/5 games previously. This is still the most absurd story I can think of from the LOI.

Rovers. Its was either opportunism/gamesmanship when they saw he wasn't on the suspended list or ineptitude by a club secretary/CEO.

This should be bread and butter stuff for any LOI club. Alright the rule about 5 yellow cards not being a suspension until the next gameweek is daft but that's the rule and clubs know it. As far as I know Rovers are the only PD club to be caught by it this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It must be a rule that every foreign manager has to refer to Irish teams having a typical British style of play, heres Djugardens managers take on Rovers.

"It will be exciting going into the group stage and we will be thrown straight into the storm. It's going to be an incredibly enthusiastic crowd in the arena and we're taking on a team with a mostly classic British style of play, so it's going to be a tough challenge for us. I think they will go all out and attack constantly from the start and maybe throughout the game. They have a lot of energy in their game at home and have a strong record at home in the international matches they have played. But as I understand it, we will have a lot of DIF supporters with us on site to support us. So it feels good that we have them behind us, says Kim from the bus on the way to Dublin in typical Irish weather with rain and wind where the players are resting up before the evening session. - We have gotten pretty good at recovery, both physically and mentally, and I think we are in good shape for the next task. Then we'll see how it looks on the training ground during Wednesday evening when we run a session somewhere around match time."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Offer it as a project to third level college students studying computer programming/web design. A small bursary and premium tickets to the next Euros/WC qualifiers. It's a data entry project with restricted access to the specific match ref and LOI admin. Clubs to have their own access for secure email, etc. and viewing rights to the media and public. Not need for "two" lists.

Search by club, registered player, managers, etc. Just manipulate the data.

Shake hands

'AZ Alkmaar boss has high praise for Dundalk and says Kenny's men play better football than British teams'

As for 8 yellows wasnt Chris shields suspeded for the cup final against Rovers becase of a yellow he picked up against city in a 'dead rubber' match the previous week? Dundalk blamed it on 'an administrate' error

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is the Rovers Conference game on RTE or Virgin?

virgin media 3

What happens the 5 yellows in the match that wasn't? The red has already already been served and does not count at thls stage ( I presume)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ferizaj starts and McCann is back in. Seems like pretty much everyone is available, although beginning to wonder will Jack be fit at all this season. Surprised Tallaght hasn't sold out yet - guess the ticket prices have put people off a bit.

Surprised we didn’t start with Jack,Graham,Rory and Dan Cleary and throw the kitchen sink at them from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Rovers catching a break with Hoare going off. Always feel he’s a liability in these games. Don’t understand Byrne, Burke or Gaffney not starting.

Will see them second half playing into our favourite end and have a real go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Djurgarden certainly nothing to be afraid of so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Much better in the second half from Rovers. Jack Byrne looking dangerous. Why didn't he start the game is he coming back from injury?

Settle for that, had a good spell when we were well on top but they came back well without forcing a save from Mannus but some dangerous crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

What does a draw in the group mean financially to Rovers? Do they get extra prize money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A game of very few chances really and a draw a fair result. I'd say both teams are reasonably content with a point.

• Advertisement

Prize money

For the 2022–23 season, group stage participation in the Europa Conference League is awarded a base fee of €2,940,000. A victory in the group pays €500,000 and a draw €166,000. Also, each group winner earns €650,000and each runner-up €325,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My biggest fear was that we'd look like outsiders in the group and not be able to compete, however based on last nights performance that wasn't the case at all, we limited them to a few dangerous crosses and a couple of routine saves for Big Al and created some chances that we really should have taken at least one of, though their keeper was decent to be fair.

Gent away next week could be the polar opposite and a real run around, but for now I'm happy in the knowledge we have already improved on our previous groups return of 6 defeats from 6.

Harps on Sunday huge now, crucial that we maintain a grip on the league as this season has shown how important the champions path is in europe & the potential rewards open to the team that claims it.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Will the Bohs Derry game be postponed this evening? Any updates?

This happened a few seasons ago for UCD v Bohs, Danny Mandriou was suspended but was omitted from the weekly list. Wasn't as big a deal as it was 1-0 to UCD but ended up being overturned and UCD awarded 3-0.

I would suspect it will be, hopefully we'll know sooner rather than later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement