Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Not a one the kn lads where sound they even had my young lad "helping" for the day.i had a cat 6 cable in the etu so they jjust pulled it up to the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Looks like OpenEir are starting to lay ducting for a fibre run on our road. What's interesting is they appear to be laying ducts in certain spots. Curious to know if the ducting installed by NBI is permitted for use by non-NBI operators and OpenEir have to install their own? Seems odd they're digging up the road again?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

The NBI duct and pole product isn't due to launch until 2024. Even then it is unclear what the NBI duct product will comprise of. In most places they seem to be just installing 14/10mm or 18/14mm subduct through existing Openeir 100mm pipe. They would have built some new duct of their own in areas where Openeir had none so perhaps that is what they will eventually sell space in.

It is curious that Openeir are building in your area that is already live for NBI. You are not urban either if I recall correctly? Are there any phone masts that they could be bringing cable to? The road digging is odd too. The ducting has hardly collapsed since the other guys fixed it not that long ago.

So this all started with my a small works crew appearing outside my neighbours about a month and a half ago. I thought it was for water actually, as they'd left a few runs of long green flexible ducting (looks about 100mm) in the ditch beside his house. I only got the chance to speak to my neighbour about what they were digging for, and he said they told him it was broadband. He had an unusual setup to be fair (when he built his house, he took down an Eircom pole at his entrance and the ducting was never right afterwards he said himself.) They claim it's because the neighbours further on down the road can't get fibre, but the DPs down that road all went up at the same time and I can see at least one of the houses is connected to an NBI DP.

When my neighbour rang NBI (because the works contractors left and haven't tidied up the job a month later), they said the works were nothing to do with them, and must be OpenEir.

There's a bunch of yellow lines on the road that were market out, and they all end at the foot of existing poles. I'll try and get a few photos later.

@NBAiii you're correct, I'm in the Tipperary DA. There are two houses at the very end of my road (2 miles beyond the neighbour in question) that were the last two houses on the Eir rural fibre rollout coming from the local exchange, so my thought was that they might be extending that existing fibre in our direction.

Post edited by heavydawson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Hi all. NBI have installed a pole in my garden. I’m due for connection Dec-Feb and want to have a duct in place from the pole to my house.

I am wondering what others have done to make the transition from the duct to the house? Anyone willing to share some pictures?

Below is where I plan to run the duct under the garden and (after I chase the path) pop the duct up beside the wall. In the pic you can see where cables for my current satellite broadband are going through the wall, which is roughly just above skirting board level on the inside.

I was then thinking of protecting the cable on the outside by covering it with steel trunking, something like the below picture.

My only concern is the turning radius for the cable to go through the wall. I’m hoping that the installer will drill down at an angle to lessen the turn through the wall.

All comments on my plan are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GBINGO

Just had FTTH installed 2 days ago. I found BOARDS to be a wonderful source of information prior to the installation so I thought I would share the main points if the install as briefly as possible - for the benefit of others. (Fibre DP is on a pole opposite our house. There is a pole opposite it in our garden which takes the existing phone line across the road. Phone line is then ducted across the garden to the house approx. 12m.)

Ordered 500MB/s + landline with Vodafone 2 weeks ago. (Our current contract was with Vodafone). Got emails/texts/calls from Vodafone and KN prior to install. KN engineer arrived as promised and strongly suggested ducting the fibre from the pole to the house rather than going overhead to the gable. He rang a ground crew who arrived 1 hour later. Existing phone line duct blocked so they dug a new channel using flat spades to prise open the channel. At footpath, they cut a neat channel in the concrete to allow the duct to the house wall. (Duct is white - 2cm in diameter). The channel in the lawn was tamped down and is hardly noticeable. Engineer got to work installing fibre cable. (It looks very similar to coaxial TV cable both in size and colour. It has an internal sleeve of kevlar braiding which gives it incredible strength). Cable goes up the wall to the fascia, along the fascia and down along a window to the point of entry picked by us (near a PC). (No box on the outside). Cable is a bit unsightly as fascias are white. (I'll do something about that). Cable goes straight into ONT which is quite big. (See photos in previous posts). From there, short ethernet to Modem (Gigabox) and then ethernet to PC. Engineer checked speed at ONT but will not engage with customer's equipment. Speed on PC (wired) is 550Mbps consistently. Wifi near modem is 450Mbps but it varies throughout the house. I don't find that the Wifi signal has a better range than the previous modem. Despite changing the password to the previous one (using the app), reconnecting everything was a pain. KN installers were very friendly and efficient. Copper phone line is still active but will cease approx. 48 hrs after install (according to KN engineer). I am anticipating some difficulties with number porting but maybe not.

Makes a big change from dial-up!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Similar to what NBI were doing a few months ago near the top of our road. The openeir lines are ducted under a ESB/Eirgrid 110kV line. NBI fed a smaller duct through that (see picture) which they've since pulled through a fibre cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question, I can open a separate thread if needed. KN installed Fibre in my house on Tuesday and I am getting up to 550Mb up and 55Mb down, which is brilliant as the previous wireless solution was much slower.

I've been with my current ISP for a few years and have been using their wireless product and it's been consistent outside a few outages. So once the Fibre was on the poles outside my house, I preordered the fibre from my current ISP. (Later I found that I could have got it cheaper from other ISPs, but that irrevelant to this topic)

Previously the ISP supplied me upon request the PPPoE user and password so that I could use my own MikroTik router as their supplied router wasn't the best to say the least. I raised a support ticket with them once the Fibre was up and requested the new PPPoE user/password as it had changed and was expecting to receive it without any issues. But they say the supplied Fritz! Box 4040 is on the approved by NBI so that they can stand over the quality of the connection. For that reason, they wouldn't provide me with the credentials....

What recourse do I have? Looking at the EU Net Neutrality, I should have the right to choose my own router? ComReg even have a bit about it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

You should have a cooling off period? So you can go to an isp who allows your own router

• Advertisement

True, normally there would be a 14 day cooling off period, but I signed the application form back in June, so I imagine the cooling off period has expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

When was the service delivered?

AFAIK, that is when the cooling off period commences.

Post edited by DivX on

A local ISP here in Cork, probably wouldn't be fair to name them publicly.

You mean September?

This is when your coming off period started

Fair enough. Fritzbox' have an option to export the configuration of the router:

I suspect (though I haven't verified) if you poked around in the backed-up configuration, you'll find the PPPoE user/password combination.

Well panic over, the ISP came back to me again this morning with the required information, and my MikroTik is reinstated.

This was possibly due to me quoting the relevant implementation of the EU regulations by Comreg, at least they reversed the decision.

Not so relevant now but yes I took a backup of the config and it was all plain text with the exception of the passwords (web interface, PPPoE password), the username was in plain text. Password seemed to be encrypted with the backup password at time of export as it changed with different backup passwords, and the one utility on Github which could have decrypted it only worked on an earlier firmware. Also tried the password asterisk field reveal trick on the web browser, but that only returned asterisks and not plain text.

Thanks everyone for ideas, sorted now and enjoying the faster speeds.

Make sure your mikrotik is up to the job of nat on gigabit speeds, an older one may not be

It looks like they started to cut a trench into the road and then stopped after a few metres. Is that the case or am I seeing things? It seems peculiar that NBI could get their cables through but perhaps they came from the other direction.

• Advertisement

Here is the current status of premises passed by deployment area. Interestingly Carrigaline, the launch DA, is still not complete (92.42% passed). My theory that Mahon was being used as an OLT location to serve premises around Cork city seems to have been wrong.

The cut a trench where there was a set back in the road in front of my neighbours house, then they marked a line along the road to the nearest pole (which happens to have a DP on it), and it looks like they started to cut around it with a Con-saw but didn't do much beyond that. It's all very odd. It's been left like that for over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Does anyone know what the metal sleeve that goes onto the side of the telephone pole is called? Picture from another user's previous post attached.

We finally got installed last week and the ground works crew were to put one on the pole after fiber was run, but didn't.

If I can buy one myself I'll do so, but otherwise will probably need to find a way to contact the installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

With NBI at pre order stage any recommendations of who I should consider or avoid. Obviously the big players like Sky, Vodafone and Eir have the best 12 month price offers but customer services are notoriously poor.

I would leave the pole alone. Is the pole on your land and away the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

We're due to be connected on Friday, just wondering how long in advance did everyone receive their fritzbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I'm with Digiweb. The Fritzbox arrived 2 days before the install

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

I got mine a good two weeks before install with westnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Thanks, looks like I will get on to pure telecom if it hasn't arrived by tomorrow.

I rang them just in case and they said its on the way but I don't think it's the fritzbox? I didn't realise they had another modem capable of 1GB speeds.

Post edited by Agent Avenger on

Advertisement