Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

"As long as we keep waging war in hopes of peace..." I think he needs to be talking to a psychiatrist rather than another panel member. The rhetoric has clearly changed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

I said negiable, and negiable in the context of Ukraine of the scale of corruption in pre 2014 Russian controlled Ukraine.

So you first cherry picked something I said, then changed what I actually said, then took away the context.

Please reread what I said before responding with nonsense.

You have brought up 6 cattle that were recovered the next day out of a herd of 7,000,000. You are being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Without western support Europe would be flooded with millions of refugees.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

putrid has sent wagner group to Africa to encourage just that, hopefully they'll be eliminated in Ukraine.

Just one supply route left for the 10,000 russian troops in Izyum, reports say Ukraine is making a move on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

What kind of £&@“ would try to distribute poisoned baby food

Same people who purposely make toy like mines for kids to pick up, orcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

Exactly. Putin behaves as an evil agent of the USA, he is undermining the European security and damaging economies of Ukraine, Russia and EU all in one swoop. While the USA gets to sell its weapons to the world in perfect safety, and more importantly, the USA has a new found enemy that it needs to keeps its society together. Win-win for the USA, loss for all of Europe.

I think you need to be communicating this to Putin... The West is doing what it needs to confront Hitler 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You see such a reaction is a reflection of the group think on this thread. Any option which is slightly different to the majority of the clique is viewed as odd or a threat and has to be shouted down. Ironically it is Putinesque in its approach.

But unlike you and others I don’t judge you. As you are psychologically invested with the group think and emotionally feel the only solution is to ‘cheer on’ a side from a distance. In this case Ukraine. Fair enough your choice.

But if any other opinion is automatically viewed as a ‘hacking’ or as a de facto ‘Putin sympathiser’ - I believe emotions and the group think are too heightened to look at practical alternate solutions.

The current situation is set for long stalemate and/or escalation.

It is far too late for NATO et al to placate Putin/Russia following their gradual broken promises on future NATO membership. Which gradually crept west closer to Russia. Given the fact Russia has historically been invaded by the West on numerous occasions plus it is a flat land. In Putin’s mind it gave him great cause for concern.

It is now too late to assassinate Putin with secret services from opposing countries he was allowed to get too powerful in Russia and build up gold and cash reserves. Sanctions will have little effect on Putin’s war footing as a result.

It is now too late to remove EU dependence on Russian oil. Merkel saw to that with her German energy policy. Which in turn has now tied up the EU and Germany is also a NATO member. Merkel has tied Germany/NATO in knots as a result.

But there is no doubt Putin’s invasion has spectacularly backfired on Putin. As it has/will hasten NATO membership of countries close to Russia. And Russia has lost prestige.

However, given Russia’s size unless other countries invade Russia in a combined force this current war will be a prolonged one.

The other alternative (and best I believe) is diplomatic mediation back Channel’s and so on. That seems like a much more feasible option. However, judging by this thread people are not ready for this option yet. It is not viewed as palatable.

But doing what is perceived as unpopular can lead to peace. We saw it on the island of Ireland. If both sides were not willing to take risks politically people would likely still be killing each other today.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Ukraine better run up the white fleg fast, before that wavering Western support get's out of hand and embarrasses mr putrid. It's all a con, russia is simply advancing backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

NATO had a border with what is now Russia in Norway from its foundation in 1949. Russia's threats to its neighbours is the primary reason for NATO expansion. NATO also expands through the sovereign decisions of countries to join it whereas it seems Russia tries (and hopefully fails) to expand through brutal wars of conquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Hitler 2.0 🤣

I'll think you'll find Hitler gained a lot of land before he was handed his arse by the west. Putin not so much.

In fairness 70% is a shocking number tbh meaning 30% don't want to continue supporting. Will be interesting to see that percentage come December/January. 😕

Germany's gas storage is 85% full, France is tidying up a disused gas pipeline to supply them with more. They'll be fine. Leave down the worry beads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are no broken promises on NATO expansion.

This was all covered in the NATO-Russia Founding Act.

NATO has not setup any permanent bases as per what was agreed in former Soviet territories.

Regardless, Russia has no right to decide what security arrangements those countries choose. This is all as per agreements they have signed both as the USSR and Russia such as the Helsinki Act, the OSCE and NATO Russia Founding Act.

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_111767.htm

Russia does not need to be placated. That was tried and failed. They have shown they only have respect for military force.

This is why Sweden and Finland want to join NATO, reversing decades of foreign policy. Placating Russia does not work.

As for 'peace'. What you are proposing is not peace. It is surrender to tyranny. Was France at 'peace' with Germany under Vichy? Was Czechosolvakia? Nor would Ukraine have been if it had not had Western support to thwart Russia's attempted takeover.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I actually have my doubts Russia even has that many there. Probably 5k max. There's a reason almost all attacks stopped from Izyum when Putin sent reinforcements to Kherson.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

True, but both methods form a aggressive ideological political block and both are dangerous in the long term. Particularly if a country like Russia is excluded or threatened. There was once mooted talk of the potential of Russia joining NATO, I believe but that seems far fetched now.

From what I have read and saw Russia/Putin, is hung up on the broken promises the USSR/CIS received on European countries NATO expansion such as the Baltic states, then NATO/America made noises towards Ukraine etc.

But all that can’t be undone now it has played a large part in the current situation.

But that does not absolve Putin his reaction has been disproportionate. Even allowing for the Russian argument that the Crimea is part of Russia and was given to Ukraine as a sign of shared nationhood by Khrushchev in 1954. And that Russian created Ukraine etc.

The reaction by Putin was completely wrong. But NATO/USA played a massive part in increasing Putin’s insecurities.

It is up to intermediaries now to have talks about talks, and hopefully it will lead to small symbolic gestures, compromise and peace.

But the way things are going now it could be a few decades off as Putin is 69. So waiting for him to retire/die is not a viable strategy.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

So what's the general consensus on how the counter offensive is going? It's very hard to wade through the propaganda from both sides online. Are there gains, small gains or big? Is the Russian defence folding like a pack of cards in a storm? Have the Ukrainian troops being trained by the west entered the battle yet and if not when.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think the Ukrainians are trying to speed run this.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yet :-) , it's conceivable that if Russia keeps sustaining these losses over the next 6 months you could see the collapse of the Russian federation, there are more than one of it's republics that are surly eyeing up independence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ukrainian sources estimate 50k troops involved in Kharkiv counteroffensive. Russia has less than 1/10th of that spread across from Kupiansk to Izyum.

Russians were spread too thin and Ukrainians could advance through multiple roads almost entirely undefended - those that were, were only defended for a short time before russian garrisons retreated. Similar situation to Russias big gains in February.

Its only 30km from Kupiansk to Russian border so will be a lot of reserves moved in to defend it. If Ukraine dont take it quickly, it could end up stagnating similar to the Kherson offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I know you posted in good faith, some others here seem interested only in "introducing" a particular view so that it "propagates" via Irish social channels. They always start out so, so reasonable but their audience here cottons on very fast indeed and they then become frustrated and "blow their cover".

You are obviously being sensible in questioning whether the supply of more weapons sooner would have brought forward an eventual Ukrainian victory.

Perhaps the pace has been chosen to prevent Putin from identifying a particular tipping point and "lashing out" unpredictably.

Many various systems have been supplied, most require training that is relevant to a single system only so many different training courses are required.

One hopes that the beneficial effect of lengthiness (draining Russia's military capability) is inadvertent.

On reflection, it does appear that Putin has been expertly played.

Do we know if western trained soldiers are involved in the fighting yet?

I'm still flabbergasted at how poor the Russian troops are trained and how old and decrepit their equipment is.

Putin should be hung in red square for basically sending young poor men into the meat grinder like that who know no better. He really is a despicable little grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Exactly what odyssey said , why can't Poland decide their own future, Estonia, Lativa? Do you think they would feel safe if they didn't join NATO? Would you? Is it just because Russia is bigger? they have Nukes?

Your original post was a bit naive, it's not just about negotiations, it's negotiating from a position of strength. Right now giving into Putin would be suicide not just for Ukrainians but for any future incursions. I do agree with you, this will be settled from diplomatic mediation but not now and certainly not while Ukrainians seem to have a bit of an upper hand.

To negotiate with the Russians, the Ukrainians will need several forms of political support. First, they need to go into negotiations confident that they will be able, in the future, to live in security, free of threat of further Russian invasion. The Ukrainians have learned — the hard way — that written promises from the Russians to respect its sovereignty and territorial integrity are worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement