Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭gussieg

Was quite shocked to find that gas netwroks ireland charges 200 euro to change from a pay as you go meter to a billed one, but a friend has pay as you go electricity and gas , but is reluctant to change as they dont have a bank account.

taking the 200 into account , according to bonkers can currenlty still save about 500 by switching.

and is paying 7o odd for eir broadband and tv. per month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

You said I was wrong. I asked for your input.

Turns out you replied to the wrong person.

I'll let you continue the conversation with whoever posted the spreadsheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Yeah, sorry, I had clicked to quote you because I was surprised you were on a 30% discount, I thought 26% was as high as they went but then realised you may be smart or day/night so never posted it.

It's annoying if you scrap a post, it saves the "quote" and reply. I wasn't trying to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

It doesn’t work out overall estimated cost, but for the purpose of comparing offers the sheet is fine.

The sheet could be easier to read. For example, the figure €4102.91 for EI does not take into account the €150 welcome bonus so the figure in my eye would be €3951.91 as this is the actual comparison compared to the other entries. The sheet is underestimating costs by about 10%. Personally, I would want the estimated costs in order to get the "true" predicted difference between each companies to make my decision. Other factors may influence my decision if the price difference is negligible. It is so little extra effort for the sheet to be right, I am not sure why someone wouldn't do it.

That's just me. It's not overly important to this thread. No point in me derailing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Agreed, good point about the cashback.

Ideally when looking to switch people should have a rough idea of what their previous usage was, that can influence whether or not a cashback offer suits. I would use bonkers etc. to get a rough idea and then double check to make sure all the rates and offers match up. We’d be below average users so cashback offers often work out better for us.

In addition to higher unit rates, the other downside with cashback offers is that the cash has to be given back in addition to the break fee if you want to break contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Energia dualfuel 12 month contract finished today, is it best to go with separate provider. Should I wait a week or so before switching to see if any more increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats pretty ridiculous, the regulator is admitting that accrediting and allowing Bonkers to use their logo on their website helps to instill consumer confidence in them but when pointed out that their search form can exclude the best deals they wash their hands of it. Its so predictable of regulators in this country, they really are next to useless.

Just looking on Bonkers now for my own usage and the cheapest deal Bonkers has is an average annual bill of 1,251. But there are six other deals available in the market that are cheaper than that, the cheapest being 1,130 which is a saving of 121 quid a year over what is being offered. Unless people tick 'No' to that question on the search form they will never see those six cheaper deals and will only see what Bonkers can sell direct themselves. Im not sure what commission Bonkers would be getting from sign ups but its a bit disingenuous to have a feature that excludes deals they cant sell you while also putting themselves out there as CRU approved as a reputable comparison website.

That is interesting, I would think it is the exact opposite. As below average users, the cashback offers should work out better for you (I would think). The method to calculate if it is worth it would be: unit_price_differential * usage < cashback . The FloGas cashback offer the other day looked fantastic for low energy users.

But yeah, I agree, I just use Bonkers and then flick through the sites to triple check and just eyeball the unit prices etc. You do need to know your estimated energy usage, my entire family just click "average" which may not give them the best deal. It will do all the calculations for you.

• Advertisement

No, you should switch today. You're paying a higher rate for electricity and gas now. I wouldn't imagine there will be any more price increase announcements (FloGas aside maybe) this month. You will always be wondering will there be another price increase tomorrow. If there are increases, you have the 14 day cooling off period to cancel and switch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

Spreadsheet guy...lol...I deliberately did not go for an overall cost as the PSO Levy and the carbon tax is the same for everyone across all supplier depending on usage.

As stated on the sheet it is inc VAT and for a standard meter. IMHO to make easier I just concentrated on the 2 main elements that energy providers can change unit price and standing charge.

True, the €150 bonus is not deducted from the total, again with prices changing so much causing people to switch more frequently and then having to pay back the bonus I only included it for information purposes.

IMHO the formulas are fine and the prices were correct at the time of going to press... ;-).

If anyone wants the spreadsheet to play with, improve it or tear it to shreds just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

For those going on about Flogas cashback. SSE still offer €250 cashback for electricity. Silly unit prices though 28c night, 44c day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Is there anywhere you can see the current price of electricity and future prices for all of the providers plans ?

At the moment I've to pretend I'm on provider X's plan in bonkers to see current and future prices for that plan.

Ireland spends 1 billion annually in lost time with people switching plans and administration costs of plans ... meanwhile no extra energy was added to the system nor were electricity prices reduced.

Yeah, it will produce the same results (when you incorporate cashback). Carbon tax and PSO levy will work out the same irrespective of unit price. The only thing different is the expected difference between plans. If there was a small difference between FloGas and Bord Gais where BG are only a little more expensive, I might be inclined to go with them for other reasons. For example, I may take customer service into account or their "rewards" offer may have something I want. I may not make the same decision if the difference was 10% larger.

I think your sheet does what you want. I would personally put in the extra costs, takes 60 seconds. It is a useful sheet tho, I have a version of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi Super Spreadsheet Sir,

Could you share the spreadsheet with me please?

Thanks,

Pa.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep. Just signed up with them for dual fuel on that an for electricity and the gas equivalent (we are actually existing customers but it was the best deal otherwise we would have moved).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Keep in mind when using Bonkers/Switcher etc the EAB is based on Current CRU Typical annual consumption values Electricity: 4,200kWh per annum/Gas: 11,000kwh per annum. Our usage is probably less than half this.

You can input your consumption on Bonkers for the EAB. Otherwise it defaults to those values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah, I have done. With online billing it's easy enough to work out your annual use for those who just use the national average. Makes it look like the savings are more.

I can't see annual usage on SSE airtricity bills .. so I had to calculate it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

The point about the lost time is something I've been quietly fuming about for years

Between all the insurances (health, home, motor [more than one if you run a business]), electricity providers, phone and broadband, banking ....vast chunks of your time are taken from you comparing and ringing around etc etc

All in an attempt to not get ridden as badly as the person that just rolls over in the face of walls of extra admin in an already too busy life....I'm more and more starting to empathise with the lads that decide **** it and decide to spend a couple of years in a remote post office in the North Pole etc etc

Did all the "competition" in the market really improve things or just make the way they milk us more efficient/effective and introduce a new ball of stress and take a huge chunk of what should be downtime off you comparing **** plans with slightly less **** plans for any **** service you can think of...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yeah I always input actual usage. One benefit of on line billing, its pretty easy to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So i was sitting at work thinking of ways to pay less. Im with sse in a very rural location. No one comes to read our meter.

I submitted a highly inflated meter reading this time.

In effect I have prepaid till Christmas at the current KWH rate .

The new highly inflated price does not come into effect until the 1 October. Next month. Which is 35% more than the current price.

Its going to be a big bill this time, but should be a small bill at Christmas when I really need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Leaked reports coming out now that the Govt. could be set to give us not two but three 200 euro credits from now until Spring 2023. Happy days if it comes to fruition, as a low user I reckon 600 euro of credit plus being locked into the fixed rates of the Energia EV Plan and avoiding last weeks price increases the likely January price increases it means my electricity costs will be lower this year than last year despite electricity prices having risen substantially. A 600 euro credit will be particularly welcome for gas customers as they have really been hit the hardest with the price increases.

On the cashbacks people are posting about, I ran the maths on a 220 euro Flogas cashback comparing it to one of their plans without cashback but which had lower unit prices. The difference between the two was negligible, it was 21 euro cheaper for the cashback plan than the non cashback plan with my low usage of 2,800kwh a year (70/30 for day/night).

So it seems with Flogas at least its a marketing trick to put some money in your pocket at the start of the plan but to ultimately get more out of you with higher electricity unit rates. Im a low user so if the savings were only 21 euro for low usage then anyone using more than 3,000kwh a year would end up paying more on the cashback plan over 12 months of bills. And the more they use the more they pay compared to just going with a non-cashback plan and lower unit costs. If you were an average user of 4,200kwh a year you would definitely end up paying a fair bit more on a cashback plan than one without. Thats just Flogas but Id imagine all the cashback plans are set up the same, to hook you in with a short term loan of 220 quid but then they get that back and ultimately get more money out of you than a non-cashback plan. Its all about running the maths on your own usage though as it will vary between people and how much they use over 12 months.

It's an illusion of customer choice and an illusion of green energy from the like of SSE airtricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's not a bad idea....buying your gas forward. 😀

Advertisement