Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat 22/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sounds like the UK government told the EPL that they could decide themselves and the EPL decided to pull them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Yeah I was reading early on that it wouldn't be the government's decision that would be final. They kind of had no choice but to cancel because potential backlash would be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

What do we think about next weekend?

Up to EPL discretion again I'd say as funeral most likely to be the Monday.

I wonder has this weekend now set a precedent so next weekend will be off as well or will they realise calling off 2 GW's be even more difficult to re arrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭shmeee

I say the PL and EFL just didn't want to deal with the backlash.

But now you'd imagine next weekends games (GW8) are in danger also? Funeral giving the timelines is going to be Sunday or Monday week On a weekend where the nation will be "mourning" and Monday a "bank holiday" will they play games, especially around London where there could be major issues. And then you've to factor in policing etc.

I'd rather they came out and said it now and not leave us playing a guessing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say they wont want to cancel a second GW because there is less flexibility than normal this season due to the World Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

The protocol is 10 days of mourning before the funeral. So at that timescale, they won't play next week.

Might have made more sense to play this weekend's games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Feel sorry for the fans and the businesses that will lose out financially but can see why PL did it. As said earlier, you can imagine tabloid trash like the Sun having a field day if it went ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What does it mean for FPL transfers tho? tehre's still a gameweek due to start at 11am tomorrow, does that mean anyone who doesn't make a transfer will have 2 FT's next week yeah? And anyone on a wildcard etc will have to have it locked in by 11am tomorrow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Post edited by cullenswood on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,290 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

That sounds like it could be the case unless something extraordinary happens.

Likewise with anyone taking hits, they'll just have lost 4 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So what your saying is - due to the players who took hits and will therefore score -4, -8 , -12 etc, I can expect a green arrow this weekend. Nice one Lizzie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Obvious solution will be to scrap FA Cup 3rd & 4th Round replays and put this week and next weeks games into them.

FWIW, I'm as far from a Royalist as you will get (although I did think she was ok in fairness) but I think its the correct decision to postpone. She was their Monarch for 70 years, it isn't too much to ask to rearrange a few football games.

Yeah, definitely can't see an way Spurs v Leicester, Brentford v Arsenal or Chelsea v Liverpool go ahead.

Policing will be a huge issue along with transport etc.

I'm aiming towards GW 9 now and FPL.team will get a good looking at later and see what moves I can make with the FT's this GW and next GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Apparently when the British King died in 1953. Football was one of the few sports not cancelled.

It is a real headache for the EPL with the already truncated season with the World Cup.

As for the FPL game, I used to laugh at people who watched the gossip columns to see if a players spouse was due to give birth! Now it seems I should have been following the Royal gossip columnists.

Because I would never have made my -4 transfers. Early transfers rarely backfire I said…

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

The EPL would do well to get Ben Crellin involved in these discussions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

From the site...

Given all fixtures have been postponed for Gameweek 7, managers will earn zero points for their players. For managers who took a points hit for additional transfers, their Gameweek scores will reflect the points they lost. 

What about Head-to-Head leagues?

In Head-to-Head league matches in Fantasy, if neither manager made transfers incurring points deductions that Gameweek, then the matches will be drawn and managers will earn one point each.

What about FPL Draft?

As there are no points deductions for transfers, all matches in Classic and Head-to-Head leagues will be drawn.

What about transfers, Wildcards and chips?

Please note that managers can cancel any Triple Captain or Bench Boost chip they have played ahead of the Gameweek 7 deadline. This deadline 11:00 BST Saturday 10 September.

Managers who have played their Free Hit chips won't be able to cancel them but they will be automatically reinstated after the Gameweek 7 deadline.

Any Triple Captain and Bench Boost chips played in Gameweek 7 will also be reinstated after the deadline.

Wildcards will roll over into the next Gameweek.

What happens to the postponed fixtures? 

The postponed fixtures will be allocated to another date or dates. Points scored in these fixtures will apply to the Gameweek in which the fixtures are played and not to Gameweek 7.

What happens next?

The Premier League will provide further updates during the period of mourning when appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

It's hard to know but noises coming out aren't good for next week although other sports Rugby Horse Racing etc are going ahead.

A key line;

'Wildcards will roll over into the next Gameweek.'

So if you have an active WC, you can tinker with it up until the next GW8 deadline I take it? That's fair as a good few activated WC on the back of the Brighton v Palace cancelation. But also you could hit the WC now and you've a heap of time to play around with your team / price changes if GW8 is also cancelled, GW9 will be the next actual GW.

GW9 is the aim now overall you have to feel.

• Advertisement

That's how I see it too. Players who have taken hits might consider a WC now.

Just realised that if next weekend is cancel (GW8), we have no football until the start of October (GW9)due to the internationals. Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

For those with 2 FT for GW7 still unused, you should be using 1 of them before tomorrow morning, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Obv FF is only a game, but it will make a mess of the game, first you have guys who will be WC'ing this week with next few weeks in mine getting skewed from the off, the lads who claim Haaland wont' start all games cause he needs a rest will be screwed - cause he's getting two weeks off essentially. Lads who took hits to avoid price rises falling in mini leagues/H2H's. What happens with a LMS competition - do you change rules so no one gets eliminated?

The like of Liverpool have two weeks to get the house in order and then won't be playing Chelsea.

If the games you mention above get canned - a large number of players will be down to bear bones - most will have 3 Arsenal and 2 Chelsea/Pool/Spurs, some will have Ward as back up keeper to Ramsdale/Mendy etc. Again what is fair for a LMS game there?

Was it last season that they gave everyone an extra WC to play which some here found to be very unfair. I wonder could they give everyone an extra free hit chip that has to be used in GW9, if the other games go ahead?

When it was covid that was the government telling them they wouldn't play - now it appears to be their own choice so there is a little difference,

FH chips will be automatically reinstated after the deadline. So players on hits could activate the FH chip this week?

Quite a bit to take into account when you include losing FTs and whether we have a full/partial or no GW8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah thats my reading of it but then if GW8 doesnt go ahead (sounding likely) you are back to 1 transfer for GW9 which is after an international break when injuries invariably happen.

Ive two FT right now and if GW8 doesnt go ahead then its 3 provided I use one tonight. Its a bit of a pain now as my intention was to wildcard before the GW9 deadline but also to use the 2FT to take some one week punts and dead end the team before wildcarding. But I cant take those one week punts now that fixtures are called off. But also cant leave the wildcard too late as you need at least 6 games to get the value out of it and it expires GW16 when the mid season break for the World Cup starts.

I suppose it doesnt really matter as everyone is in the same boat but it would have been nice to dead end the team with Kane v Leicester and Rashford v Leeds and then to wildcard during the international break to have the full picture on injuries or players arriving back too late to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I was bit behind news when I posted that, so those with hits could potential just play their FH assuming they still have it - but then the transfer they made would be essentially reversed...

Advertisement