Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The deterioration of IT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its the unskilled/semi skilled low income

its the low income part you are missing

1980s/working class/computers does not compute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I can tell you for a fact that that 50% stat is definitely true.

It is just that they didn't know what they were, or how to turn them on (never mind use them).

But they did look shiny and expensive during the burglary so they went into the sack along with the other loot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

No Ray we don't. " people who are employed in unskilled or semi-skilled manual or industrial work."

Even in College much later most of my class didn't have computers. We had to book time in the lab or queue for them. Around project time, they would open early morning, late into the night to allow people to get some time on them. I did know a few kids from well off families who bought Macs in the 90s. Wasn't common though. Least not in my college.

looks he is in IT 40 years, maybe it was 50% of his class in college had seen a computer on TV (black and white of course) maybe the BBC part is on Tomorrows world 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

How do I thank something more than once.

Deadlines being forced on developers is probably causing most issues in big IT companies

A lot of developers have pride in their work and dont want to release something they know has flaws but they aren't always given the time to build a robust solution, just one that's good enough to go out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not at the time. The computers I am talking about were primarily used for gaming and seen the same as games consoles. They were dramatically effected by the game crash. Google all you like but if you aren't looking at games/computer market of the time then you aren't looking at the relevant details.

You are literally looking at things you THINK effect a market without looking at the actual market and the prices. Like Monkey there claiming I said I used the VIC20 to do accounts when I never said that. You are making a lot of assumptions on a subject you weren't interested in and using the wrong information to make claims of how you THINK it would have been as a result. If you don't think 5 years is a long time in consumer electronics then do you pay the same launch price for a mobile phone brought out 5 years? Things weren't as fast then but they were still speedy compared to days before and many of the companies just dropped the the prices as they didn't understand the growth of technology and the need to innovate rather than keep selling the same thing.

You speak for the whole population now? In college most people didn't have PCs and extremely rare. That is irrelevant to what was effectively sold as a games console back in the 80s but was actually a computer. In college how many people had some form of games machine?

No point in talking about how I have been using computers for over 40 years and was able to get one.

I had one I knew lots of people with them and you may not have had that expereince. It is irrelevant to the point of the thread which is about IT standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Indeed - this was more or less the same across Europe and the US too. Back when I was in school (talking similar years - 86/90) plenty of kids had C64s or Spectrums. Towards the end of the decade, even Amiga 500s started entering the picture, before PCs became popular from the mid-90s onward.

One interesting/funny difference was that in Italy, having a CONSOLE was usually the "rich kids" exclusive; Most parents were against buying Nintendo and Sega as they were perceived as expensive toys. Also, by the mid-80s, the price of home computers had dropped significantly so...yeah, they were the cheapest option, since everyone used cassettes (the disk drives, unless integrated, were as expensive as the computer itself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

A lot of truth in there, it definitely happens - although the reasons tend to be a bit varied, in my view.

One huge problem is the absolute blindness of most businesses and product managements: they push for stupid, unusable, bloated features and designs just because it'd the "done thing" at that moment in the industry. A big example, that more than one poster already mentioned, is the push towards "touch inspired" interface designs on desktop software. It makes absolutely ZERO sense, it wastes the potential of the environment as being, you know, NOT a clunky smartphone (the elimination of keyboard shortcuts being one of the most egregious victims), but hey - "it's what everyone does!".

Managing development I've seen this happening so many times...new feature request, check it out, it makes absolutely no sense. The team make their point, propose a more reasonable design and implementation, business stand their ground - "do it this way 'cause the market wants so!". At that point, it's really tough to blame the devs for doing "just enough" when their insight, experience and technical expertise (the stuff they were hired for...) is pretty much disregarded in favor of "hot current fad".

That said...developers can add their share to the issue, sure. We're often the culprits of carrying the "let's not reinvent the wheel" concept way too far, often trying to put a truck wheel on a bicycle just because it's readily available - or because that too is the "current technical fad".

I'm quoting the definition ray. It's not mine.

In my era all most students had (that I knew was a walkman). Computer games were more of kids thing.

Looking at wiki

I never saw any of these consoles. I just don't remember seeing them around. I assume they must have been.

Lets look at the actual facts for a second

USA

1984, 9% of adults had a computer at home

USA, Music Town USA

Not even Ireland, those skewed into the middle class and upper class and of course skewed away from older people without kids

In Ireland way less

In working class dublin... well

That does not mean that people use that definition so you don't get to say how others define it just that it has a definition. I know plenty of people who use working class to mean social welfare dependent. I spoke about those views not a definition.

Why are you going on about something you don't have knowledge on? It is irrelevant to the topic so just let it go

1990 was light years away from early 80s.

You did see amigas in the shops. I only knew a couple of guys with Atari's myself.

you don't seem to understand what working class and we do

Always weird when people admit trolling and get no responses don't realise they are on ignore list

While that certainly happens. Business requesting stupid things.

A lot of place its the dev's who are actually dictating to the business, and not delivering that was asked.

Its how I fell in to development, we got so fed up waiting for some over engineered behemoth that we started writing our own solutions.

• Advertisement

Well you don't get common use by people overrides a clinical/academic definition. I didn't say it was correct just how it is used and how people are looking at the lowest paid to define an entire social class as not being able to afford something. It is basically using extremes to say that it was like that for everyone. It clearly wasn't because there was still consumerism

If you want to keep showing your ignorance about the early IT industry and it's off shoots go for it but at least stick with saying you don't know. Statistic are both simple and complicated because they reveal information clearly but the ignorant don't know how to use them thus making it complicated. Like comparing a launch price of an item with interest rate and ignoring price changes over time. I hope you don't work with devising calculations in any software you work on.

There could have been pockets where a influential teacher got people into something. We had one teacher who organized a bulk buy of scientific calculators for example. Seem like scfi at the time.

did the calculators cost a grand?

Anyway, as you get older you get nostalgic for your childhood, this appears to be what has happened here

Today when you see people on low budgets, they might all have 500 euro iPhones. I don't remember any such disconnects back then.

and you couldn't even use a vic-20 to take a dick pic

Always classy.

Nope. We were one of the early ones but as prices dropped more and more people got them.

what I think is funny that the poorer kids often had more toys. Guys with huge Star Wars collections and there was no way I would have been gotten this stuff. I had 2 that were gifts from relatives.

the black market in the 80s was huge. All tradesmen were on the dole and working.

So many lower income families to this day buy their kids the latest stuff that they really can’t afford. Growing up I never had brand name clothes but lots of others did and their household incomes were not great. I was jealous to an extent but glad now as I don’t tend towards brands but quality. Generally I see people who can’t afford brands more bothered by them. There are psychological reasons for that about not being perceived as poor by the person themselves where those who have money aren’t so concerned about others perceptions of whether they are poor because the know they aren’t. It is why you get people insulting others about how poor the other person is the only people that really upsets is a person who is poor pretending they aren’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just a regular town in the south east. Lived in a three bedroom house. One bathroom. One car. My Dad worked for Department of Agriculture, my mother stayed at home. No family foreign holidays until 1990. School was the local CBS. The two lads with the Commodore 64 and BBC Micro did go on foreign holidays because their Dads had their own shops that did a good trade. Pretty unremarkable really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Once in 1992 I was removing a bootloader virus from a 5.25" diskette using a hex editor. I don't even remember when I saw a computer virus last. People now download ad infested crap themselves. No art left in villainry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

most people who work in offices use computers, they might use a few database programs, email,zoom ,Chrome, ms teams, that does not make them experts in IT. more people go to 3rd level now. most students have a laptop, smartphone, they are used as part of the education process .more people use apps, pcs, laptops than ever before. you can buy a basic laptop for 350 euro.i think its great that it is used by anyone that wants to ,you dont have to go to college for 4 years.pcs were popular in the 80s, spectrum, commodore amiga, commodore 64, mostly used for playing games.there was probably a time when companys employed mostly qualified it staff just to run the computer network, database,servers,etc now anyone who works in a office probably uses a pc or a laptop ,but knows nothing about programming, or how the it infrastructure works.in the 90s, just to install certain games ,you needed some knowledge of dos prompt, batch files before windows

replaced dos as the main user os.

What all that has do with my comment you quoted about calculators I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There was a time when only it experts uses pc s at work, secretary's typed up letters or bills on typewriters, time moves on, it's like radio, or video, 1000s of people make podcasts or videos on YouTube, some of which are better than the programs produced on tv or radio by trained presenters. Unfortunately theres 1000s of hackers out there some state sponsored who are constantly coming up with new software hacks to attack computer networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was from a working-class family, my father working in a factory while my mother stayed at home. We got a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K (not the pathetic 16K! 😉) in 1984 (I reckon) since the main game played on it was Daley Thompson's Decathalon (because of the '84 Olympics). We had a rented telly, though, as opposed to a bought one. I think it was then that we got our second telly, a 14" black & white! We often had to use that for the computer.

No you are an impossibility according to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You claimed computers were common among the working class in the early 80's, a claim that is pure nonsense.

It is your faculties that are deteriorating, not IT.

Its about €500 in todays money adjusted for inflation.

No I didn't. I claimed in the working class area I grew up by 1986 about 50% of my primary school class had a computer in their house. Prices dropped by then so you have some people claiming that they were equivalent to E500 but that is not true as that was the launch price of a 4 year old device by then.

People are making up their own narratives and you believed one of those narratives was what I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In my area (midlands), home computers were noteworthy by being uncommon in the mid 1980s when I was in primary school. I knew one lad with a Commodore 64 and used to regularly pester my parents to go to his house to play games on it. He was from a working class family with not much money. A few others had Atari 2600s. At a guess I'd say that 10-15% of households, regardless of wealth, in my area had a home computer OR console in 1986. By the early 90s it was much higher, Amigas, Megadrives, SNES etc. Then playstations and PCs.

Most households had colour TVs by the mid 80s but there were still a few black and white ones about. Not sure if TVs were rented or not.

Also, VCRs were far from ubiquitous until probably the mid 1990s.

My point was it was cheap even at launch.

You said you got "your" VIC20 in 82. That wasn't cheap. That computers were ubiquitous in  "working class area" to the point that half a class had them. Wasn't my experience. Your experience is as true for you as mine is to me.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Advertisement

Had a similar experience. I remember our first VCR was a 2nd hand one with the those manual counter wheels. Like a giant cassette recorder. I don't think parents splashed out as much, because the thrifty times of their youth were engrained in them. They also would repair things rather then replace them.

From IT POV I'll bet a few people here hoard old obsolete PC gear far longer then they should.

Half the class had them years later is what I said. The whole arguement stems from claims one child was getting a computer which is not what I said either. The households got them often spread among several siblings. Lot of leaps and jumps of people under the assumption nobody could afford them.

Yes we have different expereinces

It was more like by 1990 people had VCRs. I would have said it was rare to not have one by 1992. At least 5 teenagers I knew had them in their bedrooms by 1990 ususally the original VCR the family bought. It may have been different in the midlands as there were probably very few video stores. Xtravision was very important to the development of the market in more rural Ireland. There were lots of video rental places in Dublin so more common.

Xtravision was founded 1979 and rebranded Blockbuster from 1996.

I dunno when we got a VCR but it was post '81 no idea exactly when and we had a colour TV by at least 1980 maybe even earlier.

Ours have no idea what a VCR is, or Video rental. When we recorded stuff digitally on TV we said "Tape it" which baffled our kids.

Xtra vision never rebranded to Blockbuster even though they owned it. The brand recognition was too strong so the decided to keep the name. I was working with them during this time. They then sold it to former directors until it died. They were actually the biggest seller of electronics in the country for years as they had so many locations where there was no local competition.

According to the below from the BBC, approx. 65% of UK homes owned a VCR by 1990. Approx. 80% by 1995. This would have been ballpark fot Ireland in my experience except I'd put ownership as a bit lower here. We got ours in 1991 and were far from the last family in the area to do so.

Well into the 90s, the video rental shops rented out equipment (players rather than player/recorders) as well as the tapes themslves.

After 1991 I had a little "business" going renting out "porn" (well mostly snippets from Eurotrash and foreign language films from Channel 4 etc.) to lads in school who either were prevented from using the family VCR to record material or if they did have a VCR, only had the Irish channels. I might start a thread on VCRs and video taping culture to avoid derailing this one any further.

Not sure you can derail an after hours thread.

nowhere did I say that their weren't exceptions but clearly common and 50% is miles from being true

and boards.ie is going to skew it because its full of nerds

5% would be more accurate

Its interesting thread because of how the nature of Tech and IT have changed.

I see a good few threads on forums with IT people of our generation(s) falling out of love with working in Tech.

I don't know where this data comes from, I presume from the Office of National Statistics although I can't find it on their website. Ownership of home computers in the UK. Only in 2002/2003 did computer ownership reach over 50% of households.

Even if the term "home computer" means something different now than it did in the 1980s, the figures are comparable. Regardless of how the term is defined the vast majority of home computers in homes in the 1980s would have been Commodores etc. not IBM PCs or clones. Whereas by the end of the 90s, a home computer was a PC or an Apple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement