Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Most people I know just want to know how many days they're getting off.

I think Charles is going to be a disaster unless his handlers keep him in line. It shows how far the country's oldest party have fallen that they're expected to begin milking this ASAP.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My own friends wouldn't care much either but I was there for Thatcher dying and that was enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Charles III, by my estimation right? Tough act to follow, Elizabeth having turned herself into the Nation's Granny in Chief, moments like the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony earning a lot of goodwill. Charles will be uuhhh, the nation's sullen uncle?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There was talk last year that he would go for George.

Edit: Charles III just confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

I remember lots of traffic jams and people dancing in the streets (literally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,173 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You can't bloody escape the UK Queens Death, on everything fecking news channel

I switch on Prime Time and it's on there

I **** hate this Royalist crap and why the **** is this on RTE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Because it's among, if not the, biggest news in the world in the last 12 hours? You may not like royals but the simple fact is the Queen dying is a big deal from a news cycle perspective. We'd need something like Putin dying or a revolution in China to topple it basically and it will roll on for the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

"Hysterical, over-emotional, shrieking grief of twats"

Stewart Lee describing the mourning of Princess Diana

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In more important news. Truss' energy price freeze while refusing to implement any windfall taxes, coming hot on the heels of the revelation that her single biggest donor to her campaign to lead the Tory party was 100k from the wife of the head of BP.

She wouldn't have gotten a honeymoon period because her hands are covered in the blood of the Johnson administration. The Queens death was excellent news for her and the Tories. They can bury all kinds of damaging news over the next week or two

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I read yesterday evening that Truss has lifted the ban on fracking.

Was that expected or something she's reintroduced while the country is otherwise engaged?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,191 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

At a time when energy supply is so precarious then it makes some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not sure if it was expected but the idea that it will fix the energy crisis is absurd. Theres no way any fracking sites will be able to apply, appeal all objections, get permission and then start collecting gas before next summer let alone this winter. Its purely a payoff for the oil and gas industry that have donated so generously to her and the tories and they know not enough people are aware that it wont do anything for heating bills this winter so its a double so they can pretend they are doing something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Interesting example.

In 1964, the morning after the general election, the Moscow correspondent of, I think, the Daily Express - but could be another paper got wind of something big..

The correspondent sent a message to its Fleet St office that there was a story in Moscow that would topple the GE from the headlines. That was it - no more could be said for obvious reasons.

The Express cleared the front page and went with, correctly, 'Khrushchev Deposed'. What a scoop.

So it does happen. Let us hope a current leader of Russia might suffer the same fate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's going to be so much worse here.

My local Paddy Power has closed. Seems to be the only business near me that is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It was JRM who lifted the ban on fracking and is doing so under the guise of energy market reform, this would have been prepared well before the queen passed;

I think it ironic that he states "we will extract every ounce of oil and gas from the North Sea" as if this should provide some comfort to those who will struggle to pay energy bills. Of course every ounce will be extracted, the extraction companies are making obscene amounts of money from it and the British government seem to be going to underwrite the current prices set by world markets, despite North Sea extraction costs not changing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭newport2

My brother lives in Scotland, got a message from him yesterday along the lines of "Ah well, no more TV or Radio for the next month"

Most people at work want to know when the day off is. I think the media is a little bit out of touch with reality here.

H. H. Asquith

Haven’t we banned the import of fracked gas? That was what cause the problem with the LNG terminal. How will that work? Maybe the Brits will label it for us so we can identity it

It'll work the same way as companies claiming to use 100% renewable energy (they are allocated on paper a portion of the renewable energy produced, regardless of the source of the actual energy they use). It's just moving numbers around a spreadsheet but and most will be satisfied with that. It won't be an issue for several years anyway, assuming they actually produce any fracked gas at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm sure there will be some gas eventually but I highly doubt it will end up being economically viable in any noticeable quantities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC, the woman was holding a placard and shouting an anti-royalist slogan. Now, I'm very against monarchies as a resting belief, but I'd be lying if I didn't find her timing a tad distasteful. But not enough to arrest her either.

One swallow doesn't mean a summer so wouldn't point at it as indicative towards hysteria, but I also find it an overreaction; the cops could have taken her away and tell her to go home. She was likely about to get a clatter from a member of public.

I think the police response to this is utterly contemptuous. Free speech is always easy to defend when someone's saying anodyne things but, while this woman's timing is bad, shutting her down is infinitely worse. The usual cancel culture brigade will be sneering at her, showing their obvious false agenda for what it is but this isn't the first time the police in this country have acted in an authoritarian manner when it comes to protesting.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was watching the procession from Holyroodhouse to the High Kirk there and some mouth by the crowd barrier was screaming at the Mourning Party, whereupon he was yanked back away at breakneck speed.

I don't know if it was by the Police or by another of the crowd, but he deserved it for being so utterly disrespectful to his fellow citizens.

At the same time, I don't think he should be charged with anything, just given a bollicking and sent on his way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not "just moving numbers around a spreadsheet" as the renewable energy has to exist and can't be counted twice. Its just acknowledging you can not separate out the physical energy.

Anyway, restarting fracking a)probably won't even happen, b)won't help at all and c)is so insanely unpopular that it actually boggles the mind the Tories can get even worse at politics than they already are.

The energy generated will be sold at market rates on top of all that. There's no benefit to anyone bit the fracking firms here.

H. H. Asquith

I got the impression that it was a response by the crowd because there was a load of other shouting and an immediate rendition of god save the queen by some if I recall correctly?

Well in theory a sufficient increase in supply will drop those market rates. But the UK's history of successful fracking even when attempted is poor so even the fracking firms get limited benefit.

And again, it is insanely unpopular.

My point was that the volume of gas which crosses the pipeline from UK to here will be allocated against the volume of non-fracked gas which was feed into the network there. There will be no way of knowing what was fracked and what wasn't.

I also doubt that they will produce any fracked gas and said as much.

Fair enough, you're not wrong but the framing makes it sound essentially "made up" to anyone who doesn't understand how mass balancing is done. Just trying to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

out of interest is one still allowed to sing good save the queen .

Advertisement