Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is the cork/limerick debate that big in cork? It's almost unheard of in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

thats cause limerick have the majority of the games (all the good ones anyway), the training base etc,.

cork has a few lower-profile games and the offices, not really great engagement with the teams largest population debate.

i know UCC have been very annoyed that everything has been moved to limerick in terms of training. havent been involved with them for a few years now but the thinking a few years ago was that they would miss out badly on young players as anyone in the academy would almost definitely go to UL. hasnt exactly turned out like that i suppose.

also, for those that were asking why didnt UCC make a better case for a proposed base to be located there, its my understanding that the sports executive wanted to use the Farm grounds in curraheen for this (a regular training area for munster previously) but the college quashed this as they wanted to sell the site (to the expanding business park as far as i know, something which i think has recently happened recently)

i dont think its a debate really in cork, i think most of the rugby community want more interaction with the team seeing as it is the 'capital' of the province. nobody is expecting all to have all/ a majority of games in cork, but a more even split of URC games and a higher profile home game (ulster perhaps) each season in musgrave wouldnt go amiss. nor would the idea of playing a knockout euro game in PuC either, but hopefully at least that could be on the table if the SA game goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Of all the Cork based munster fans i know, who regularly attend games ive never once heard a gripe about any of it.

The SA game is a great thing for Cork fans, but most understand the economics of stadium size and revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

i dont get what you mean about the pool games, all of them are in thomond?

With the exception of Covid years Musgrave Park has been hosting pool games since the very start of the Celtic League. Every other Irish province (bar Leinster hosting Munster in the Aviva) host all their pool games in the same stadium, we send 3 to Cork so a stadium sponsor has 3 less games to get advertising from and remember we have fewer games to begin with in the current format of the League and the ERC. I just don't see how a stadium sponsor wouldn't tie Munster to holding the marquee games in Thomond Park

CM went some way towards giving the history on why Munster have ended up with a redeveloped stadium and a training ground in Limerick. Population and appetite for rugby had nothing to do with the decision and until Munster can afford to have two stadia with a capacity >15,000 then I don't see a huge change in how games are divvied out between Cork and Limerick.

• Advertisement

right, pool games means europe though, hence why i was confused

i also said that since thomond park doesnt have a named sponsor currently so thats what im basing my thinking on. if that changes then maybe the options lessen, but thats not the case as of yet so im not dealing with the hypotheticals for now

again, the other provinces arent based outside their largest population centre so the comparisons arent too accurate

except that explanation wasnt really how things were from what im aware of. my understanding of limiting the increase to musgrave park was that the planning dept/council (rightly imo) questioned the need to have large/larger stadia in the city for soccer, gaa and rugby, they had wanted a combined larger municipal stadium ideally to be shared between each. obviously this was unlikely due to gaa rules (alot of this was pre-2005) they had wanted the munster fa and munster rugby to develop a shared 15-25,000 capacity stadium, which i think the munster fa quashed (cork city were planning on moving back to bishopstown if i remember correctly).

as already explained, the idea that UCC werent 'bothered to put in an application' is untrue also. the sports exec wanted to develop The Farm but the sale of the land by the college had been on the table even back then so it didnt get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Whats with the civil war stuff? Musgrave park or whatever it's called now doesn't get the big games because it's too small

Thomond gets the ERC pool games because they're usually sold out. PUC may get some ERC knockout games if the demand is higher than Thomond can fit, and the GAA are open to allowing it.

Is there a doubt about our game v Cardiff now that the UK is in 10 days of mourning.

It was always called Musgrave Park to me, I'll be cold in the ground before I acknowledge the Irish Independent as a title sponsor! Or as the announcer there used to say on a few occasions "independence park" always got the crowd laughing

Anybody from Limerick that I know have a huge soft spot for Musgrave Park and love going, many of us consider it our second home.

So in a nutshell Cork was in disarray in what the various sporting bodied and the LA wanted while Limerick assisted Munster in getting the stadium re-developed, same with the training facilities.

• Advertisement

Best case scenario, game is played as scheduled, 2nd best scenario, walkover, free 5 points, worst case scenario, game is rescheduled and we have to play them in some international window or other awkward time

Munster played a League game a week after Foley died suddenly in 2017. If the Cardiff Blues try to reschedule the match because a 96 year old head of state died more than a week earlier.. Sorry, not acceptable IMO.

era i dont think civil war is the way to put it, just that people in cork want one or two more games tbh

disarray is a leap. the planning dept/council knew that a shared stadium in a city the size of cork would be better than each sport having their own. i seem to remember PuC getting planning permission on the condition that it be made available to other organisations and not just the gaa - could be incorrect on that though i'll admit. theyre completely right too, no city/large town in ireland has the population to need separate stadia for gaa, rugby and soccer - obviously part of the obstacle there is the gaa but shared stadia should be the way going forward.

There's a difference, in this case the UK are in an official 10 days starting on Friday. I don't know what that means from a sporting pov but if it means all games are off then they'll be no walk over.

To date there still isn't a fully shared stadium in any city in Ireland. There's a few shared between rugby and dog racing, soccer or showjumping but none with the GAA.

Munster couldn't possibly wait for the various associations to get their act together to develop a stadium with a capacity greater than 12k

Personally I hate watching rugby in a stadium with huge spaces around the field like we had to endure while we used Croke Park so I wouldn't be keen in using a GAA grounds on a long-term basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No sports have to be cancelled, but the expectation is nothing will be played this weekend.

I'd be surprised if they continue to postpone for the full 10 days though.

The funeral is supposed to be in 10 days time which would be Sunday week, so nothing will be played over there that day.

unless there is a global calendar and a move to summer rugby then it is how we should be proceeding in this country, having multiple medium-sized stadia in large towns/cities is ridiculous when our population is structured the way it is, especially when the inter-county gaa season doesnt have too much overlap with rugby. maybe there might be a bit of a bottleneck with soccer as the LoI is in the summer too but im sure it could be worked out. most likely wont happen anyway unless the gaa join the 21st century.

i dont know about the not waiting part too tbh. maybe if they had waited a bit longer for a better solution they wouldnt still be paying off stadium debt, or at least to the same extent

Tomorrow will tell a lot, I see the preseason friendly between Glasgow and Ulster has been cancelled, as have the horse racing, the PGA tour and the rugby league games that are happening in England over the weekend

The premiership is due to start tomorrow and I reckon they'll make their decision based on what the Premier League (Soccer) will do with the Welsh and Scottish URC clubs following that lead

On one hand I can't see the soccer postponing matches, as they've got a very busy season already with the World Cup in December.

So we might be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Very hard to see any Champions cup semis in PUC as it currently stands because fixtures will be made for the Munster hurling and football championships before the semi finals are decided, and thats before Munster even play well enough to earn a home semi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

i dont know about the not waiting part too tbh. maybe if they had waited a bit longer for a better solution they wouldnt still be paying off stadium debt, or at least to the same extent

I dunno, spruce.. the redevelopment was announced, what, 16 years ago? If the question was whether to go ahead with something they could go ahead with, or wait around to see what might happen, then there's only one answer.

And on the GAA point, it's worth remembering, Ireland hadn't even played in Croke Park at that point. There was still a lot of vocal opposition too it. And as phog pointed out, it's 16 years later and there still isn't a shared ground with the GAA.

Where do I start with this shift in the discussion??? We've now shifted away from Munster developing their own stadium to an ideological argument about having municipal grounds for the various sports. Munster couldn't possibly wait around for Local Authorities and sporting organisations to agree on all that that would entail. Are we even close to something like that today coming close to 20 years after Munster starting looking at redeveloping a ground for their needs.

Back of cigarette box calculations

There were some obvious peaks and troughs so let's assume Munster increased their match attendance in TP by 10k for each match held there since the redevelopment and that each ticket was €20 and that TP held 10 games per year in the following 10 years.

10 matches X 10k tickets = 100k ticket sales x €20 = €2m a year. That's €20m for the 10 post redevelopment that you want Munster to wait and see what might happen in Cork or elsewhere around sharing grounds.

That income excludes corporate events held during matches or corporate events/concerts held outside of match days.

I think the reason there is no shared GAA/Rugby grounds is down to all the stadiums having been built at this point in time... There is potential in the future as stadia start to age the 3 big codes might join forces but that is a long way off - if at all

Monaleen GAA share their facilities with Monaleen tennis club is the only example I can think of off hand where the GAA share the use of their land with another code

• 7 more days of enthusiasm for the season ahead, followed by 9 months of disappointment. It's that hope that kills :)

Only 400 tickets left for the game in PuC.

It's brilliant that this game is a sellout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The hope, indeed... I'm looking forward to seeing Snyman in the flesh. could be a game changer for us if he stays fit.

• It's a phenomenal effort. I put my hands up and admit, I honestly didn't see it sell out, I was expecting 30-35,000. Great to see there's a new found appetite for rugby in Cork 😋

as much as i see where youre coming from, i disagree. the 'well this solution is better than nothing' way of looking at things is usually questionable, especially when it comes to large assets like a stadium development. obviously there is a fair bit of hindsight in this too but the level of debt that the stadium is still incurring relative to its new capacity suggests it may have not been the best decision

i did say in another post that this was pre 2005 from what i remember so the decision to 'open' croke park hadnt been taken yet. i was talking about stadium policy in this country going forward too, we should be developing multi-use municipal stadia from now on and ideally the gaa would be on board. wont happen though most likely

yes an extra 20 million over 10 years sounds great........in theory

the problem is, a quick google search for thomond park redevelopment costs puts the estimate at 42 million - that is from the irish examiner in june. by your calculations it'll take 20ish years to pay off, thats quite disproportionate compared to the increased capacity (obviously facilities were improved too). that article says its at 6.5 million after 15 years (slightly out since the re-opening was in 2008).

i dunno, i like the new stadium but the maths dont add up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Soccer and rugby should not be sharing with GAA. Or with athletics. It just leads to a bad atmosphere as fans are too far from the pitch.

And soccer and rugby have different requirements. Putting Limerick fc into thomond every week leads to a terrible atmosphere as you have 2000 people in a 26000 capacity ground.

The only two teams that can realistically share a stadium in Ireland already do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s it, if pitch size and politics weren’t an issue Leinster and Dublin could share a 22/23k stadium but it makes for a poor product for those attending.

Advertisement