Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I suggest learning how a grid works then come back. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Ok, forcing may be the wrong word to use. But by punishing people with higher taxes and charges on their current fuel needs, they are trying to push them towards what they believe to be way forward. So it's a double whammy. You can't afford a retrofit? Tough s##t. You're struggling to put fuel in your car to get to work, or kerosene to heat your home? Tough s##t.

Not to mention the price gouging that's now in existence with unscrupulous contractors. There is no real affordable option at the moment. If they were deadly serious about saving the planet, 100% grants would be made available

Giving 100% grants to those who can afford to pay for it themselves would be a horrendous waste of taxpayers money and would be akin to the energy credit that was given a few months back. Much better to give 100% to a targeted section of society who will never be able to afford it or in the case of the energy credit I mentioned, make it 400 for those who need it most, and 0 for those that don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I know how it works but you clearly didn’t read the article that the OP didn’t read either cause you doubled down on a headline that he made up and now your scrambling to change the subject. The amount of shear bullshit being shovelled here lately is not quite as astonishing as the amount of members who swallow it. Flipping heck the bot factories must be burning through some amount of turf 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

There are posters on this forum topic so entrenched that they are willingly blind and deaf to arguments and keep on spouting the same old non runners. The only way that i can think of why that is is to take their postings and just see them as contextless data points in a battle that a: cant be won on arguments, b: uses anything as ammunition and let rip and c: has the advantage of annoying people. It is not worth debating but this is not a debate, argument counter argument kind of thing. They just see the topic and decide to display their stupidity that runs counter to the topic. You know , it's great entertainment for the feeble minded.That's of course normal when you are 16 but i do get the impression that some are quite a bit older. Again, i wish i could just put them on ignore but it is clear that they want to be the little self righteous annoying people the Greens usually are. In that regard it actually confirms the prejudice many have against them. Maybe i just better feel happy about that and take some positives home. So, i thank them for confirming what we already suspected and salute them in being steadfast in their convictions in the light of overwhelming evidence against their propositions..

• Advertisement

I don’t think 100% grants will be given unless it comes to the stage that it cheaper to give people the grant then it is to pay the fines that will come from the EU when we miss our carbon budget things. If they gave a part grant and then tax credits for the next decade after you retrofit and or give people a decent price to sell energy back to the grid. That what there doing in California now cause system can’t cope with everyone using aircon at night.

Throughing turf dust on the fire isn’t helping. Instead of appearing like some sort of (faux) intellectual maybe just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Oh, FFS. Rapid and irreversable...grey cells turning to liquid and dribbling out your ears and running down your neck. Please wipe the mess while you can still move your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Learn about the OSS here, the quotes are unbelievable, see posts 1895 and 1896, this the type of expense the greens want to inflict on us.

post 1895

We're dealing with an OSS for a possible retrofit on a 1999 2-Storey, Detached, 180 sq m, with brick-faced Cavity Wall construction, 20 year old double glazing and a gas boiler of the same vintage. Scope includes cavity & attic insulation measures, mech. ventilation, TG windows, composite doors and an 8.5kW Mitsubishi Ecodan HP.

Total costs are higher than expected at €61,180 plus VAT, but we're not completely shocked given the times we're in. We recognise that the insulation and airtightness works are messy/costly due to 2 Dormer Rooms and a leaky suspended floor. But the HP is *a lot* higher than expected at €23,920 plus VAT. Details attached. Any comments appreciated.

post 1896,

That's not the worst OSS quote I've seen. I was being quoted around €100k for the wrap, heat recovery vents, suspended floor insulation, new rads and a hp.

They were quoting insane numbers for the wrap 3x the price I paid and I'm currently getting quotes for HP closer to €6k and every single one ignored my request for solar.

I felt like the OSS were taking the hand and inflating prices where they could and then including a project management fee. So I went and priced it up and done it all myself for about €55k including solar. I have yet to get the HP in but I'm fairly confident it'll be significantly less than the OSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Abolish VAT on labour and materials for retrofits. establish tax breaks over a ten year period for people, the OSS/grant system is not fit for purpose and only suits the wealthy or those who can't afford to pay anything,its the middle getting squeezed again.

• Advertisement

But I thought this was for the public good? To improve the nations energy efficiency? It’s very different than a handout to meet day to day expenses. I can afford to take out a €30k loan. But I’m absolutely never going to do that for a retrofit. The payback is too long. Most who can afford it will feel the same

but increasing grants alone isn’t the way to do. All they do is inflate the cost and end up in the pockets of the suppliers, as has been pointed out many times here, with specific examples. There probably needs to be state oversight of the provision of retrofits, solar etc

We could end up seeing gas pricing itself into obsolescence if its decoupled from the marginal pricing market for electricity.

the EU’s marginal pricing electricity market means that the most expensive type of energy used in a given hour sets the price for all sources, even ones that are close to free to run, such as wind and solar.

Marginal pricing market was designed for fossil fuels, which are extracted — involving a production cost — and then sold at the price the market will pay for them.

Renewables were awkwardly shoe-horned into this market later, as a more recent invention. They have a nearly-free running cost, after an initial investment to build them, but were made to fit into the electricity market by complex financial retrofitting.

If the market price turns out to be different to that agreed price, the gap is bridged by “contracts for difference”. These offer the renewable producer a subsidy if it ends up selling electricity at a market price that is less than agreed, and equally binds them to handing over accidental excess revenues earned if the market price is higher.

Its heartening to see the growth of wind over the years, long may it continue

As someone who has co-driven a 36 tonne truck from Perth to Melbourne and back, I can say with authority that you don't have the faintest clue as to what you are talking about - none, not one scintilla. Your idea of long-haul is probably Dublin to Sligo.

Your carbon levies god, that you kneel down and pray to every night before Eamon tucks you in, is going to bite your figurative balls off. The current energy crisis seems to have passed you bye. Nuclear is being phased back in, new NPP plants are being ordered, coal mines are running flat chat, coal fired power stations are being restarted...

Your seeming lack of awareness of current events and inability to see the writing on the wall is excruciating to put up with. Governments seem to have meekly gone along with the whole carbon tax thing because they thought there would be viable alternatives. The lack of wind last winter plus Putin have accellerated things so it's clear to everyone now that the putative boil the frog carbon taxes are simply not tollerable and will be election suicide throught Europe for anyone stupid enough to suggest them in future.

The frog has wised up and willl leap before it croaks. The decarbonising train has been derailed.

Speaking of decarbonising travel, the EU has kicked off a project to better integrate ticketing systems across the myriad of EU train systems. They're also looking at sleeper routes across the continent. Both of which will serve to displace internal air travel if competitively priced, though for that air travel, specifically air fuels, will need to be taxed accordingly. As it stands aviation fuel gets off lightly

They have always had aircon. The new thing is EV. or did we miss that.

There won't be any EU fines the EU will be Adjusting their carbon targets as per the agreement signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Asia is crying out for more gas and greens and the E.U. want the fossil fuel companies to dig them out of a hole of their own making by topping up storage tanks where they are going to punish them by imposing further taxes on them for doing so rather than selling their produce to Asia where they would have no problem with extra taxes.

What could possibly go wrong with that plan.

Sweet Jesus, the lot of ye are as clueless and as mad as March hares.

The final proof of the lunatics taking over the asylum would be your musings on floating storage in Cork actually being a green proposal.

Natural gas is not shipped by boat but LNG is due to volume.. By volume a ship can carry 600 times greater volume of LNG than natural gas, so the idea of natural gas floating storage is completely bonkers.

Competitively priced - ha, ha. I once went skiing in Switzerland with my son. The train ticket from Zurich to the town with the bus to the resort was appraching tripple the cost of the flights.

Next fantasy?

I know that green years differ from everyone else`s understanding, but I never knew why until now. Green years are only 8 months.

Last year for the conventionally recognises 12 months that make up a year, wind energy dropped by 17%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It doesnt matter. The Greens do..not..care. It is not about balance but ideology. They have an aim, a target and will walk over bodies to get there. In that way the mindset is not far removed from communists of all sorts, Marx, Lenin, Stalin, Mao. It is revolutionary in nature.In the West it is, at the moment, the most succesful ideology supported by almost all governments and media. Ignorant CEOs go along with this as do those fearful of a backlash if they protest or not implement green rules. It is in essence a kind of modern fascism in disguise. It is on par with the Woke world where we can see the same things happening.In the west we are now living in the world that was conjured up in the late 60s- early 70s. It is in education, politics, media. It is the revenge of the Boomer generation against the previous one. They have reaped the rewards and are now either retired or about to. They have educated the next generation badly, to make them feel guilty about the past and negate the positives that they themselves have profited from. So, now this mollycuddled middle class storm of self hate (read hate of the West) regard the working class with contempt even though they constantly talk about them. The working class needs to be saved, by them from the sin of the west. It is exactly these type of faux intellectuals who are found in the frontline of any 'movement', from the Jacobins to the Marxists. They usually do not start these movements but quickly seize power.They are smart enough to weaponize the right intellectuals and ideas to suit their fight, then pretend it is a grassroots movement. You know, power to the people. God help us..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So you've never had to plan for anything in your entire life.

If you read the articles you might understand that,

There is a heat dome over California and other states currently that means more people are using more aircon for longer.

That happens every year. Ev are new to the situation. It's not rocket science.

Not all plain sailing withing government on the issue either. Wopke Hoekstra, leader of the Christian Democrats raised a few eyebrows within the coalition when he said the goal of reducing nitrogen emissions by 50% by 2030 are not "sacred". a few weeks ago.

No heat domes don’t happen every year they twice a year thanks to climate change.

can you produce evidence that charging of electric cars is the sole reason for blackouts and brownouts are happening in California 🤔

Germany have always burned coal and they too will be fined if they don’t meet their targets.

• Advertisement

On nothing other than "ifs" or "maybes" based on nothing other than computerised modelling? No.

Something from what we have seen with Covid is the equivalent of crystal ball gazing.

I would be very skeptical of any prophecies, and especially those by people that have financial skin in the game.

Advertisement