Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Easy win for khamzat and boosts his profile. It's a weak main event though, Diaz is a punch bag and khamzat will have to make work out of this so it's not the mismatch it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Poor aul Nate just doesn't have genetics to be a successful MMA fight in this day & age,

He is simply not strong enough in todays game to be a WW & he is to big for LW,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Can you imagine the celebrations if Nate somehow managed to pull off a win?

They're really feeding Nate to the wolves on his swan song fight. Fair play for Nate for taking the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Only seeing that Sean O'Malley is booked to fight Peter Yan. Wow! That's some leap for O'Malley after all his talk about taking things slowly.

Time to put up or shut up, he ain't beating Yan though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Still a shocking card . Not exaggerating but ignoring the one sided main events , the rest is barely fight night standard.

IS that the card? Desperate stuff. Diaz must be getting a paid stupid money so the rest of the fighter pay needs to be low.

11 fights announced so far so would hope we get another few but when it comes to big fights not sure what they can add.

Maybe Chandler v Dustin,,,but heard they may keep that until end of the year,,,maybe a ladies title defense?

Looking at the card not even sure what goes on the main card bar the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s says which fights are main cars. 4 of them, so might be another fight to go. Terrible card

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Where does it say this? The UFC website doesn't show what is on the main card yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Diaz has no hope, I'd expect an early finish for Chimaev.

Card is shocking, even that main event is a fight night lead not a ppv. I certainly won't be staying up to watch it. It'd be a struggle for me to be interested enough to watch it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Not sure how you could be confident of a finish never mind expect it. Nates been stopped once in over 30 fights. 50-45 or worse I'd expect. I'd be very surprised if Khamzat finished him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Both Uriah Hall and Rory MacDonald announced their retirements within the last week. Good call by both. Uriah never seemed able to reach his full potential in the UFC while Rory was never the same after Lawler II.

They should really reduce down the number of PPV's they are struggling to put out anything decent, with so many divisions locked out with dominant champions too its just not that exciting at the moment.

Nate has had one fight in three years and it was against Mr Decision win Leon Edwards. He's 37, smoking dope his whole life and getting in the ring with a man who will destroy you on the floor.

Find talk of Usman as the goat a bit much the WW is actually pretty crap.

Leon Edwards fighting for the belt shows it, he's just a decent MMA fighter nothing special at all ,

Woodly was average, Masvidal is a journey man, Burns got ko's by Dan Hooker for god sake,

I'll give him Colby he is a very good fighter ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not sure Usman touches the Top 5 in the GOAT conversation. He's not even the greatest Welterweight of all time.

How about Usman is so good that he makes all the rest look ordinary?

I have him and Volkanovski neck and neck as the p4p kings right now. If Volk moves up to lightweight and takes the title he becomes not only p4p king but the GOAT as well. Usman would have to move up and take the middleweight title to match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Tony Ferguson will return to welterweight to fight Li Jingliang at #UFC279 next month.

A bizarre fight. Great to see Tony back. But at welterweight and against the Leech? Just odd. Still a crap card even with this fight added. I could name 15 fighters I'd rather see vs Ferguson.

• Advertisement

Tony is done, he's 38 now and his last win was over Cowboy in 2019. He's had four tough opponents since then but he's taken far too much punishment in his career and its clear now that it's taken its toll.

I hope he doesn't get a bad beating again, it's time he retired.

I couldn't see any of the current WW beating him so he is definitely dominant and up there but GSP is untouchable as the WW goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

Any thoughts on Platinum Perry beating Michael Page at BKFC London? Fair play to him, UFC wasn't working out for him (mostly his own fault but still), I'd say he's making decent enough cash now - said previously he earns double what he did in UFC, and that was before the MVP fight which probably got him a decent purse as well and raised his worth even higher.

I'm not sure Bare knuckle boxing is the best decision from Perry,

The lad isn't very stable and more shots to the head is not going to be good for him,

He reminds me of the fighters in the early days who fight on to long because they have to for the cash, I hope the guy gets out of the game before he really gets hurt

Final UFC 279 order, its a little better than it looked a week or two ago, but its still a rotten card. Ultimately the two main fights are murders and then the rest is a fight night card. I work nights so may watch it , but I'd hope the Yanks don't buy it and it bombs.

https://twitter.com/BigMarcel24/status/1563347918437789699?cxt=HHwWhsClrcOpkLIrAAAA

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How the Jaysis is Johnny Walker still getting main card fights

• Registered Users Posts: 29,817 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jeez it's quiet in here. Anyway, after the backstage incident last night that lead to the press conference being cancelled, Khamzat has come in 8 pounds over eight and joking about it. Word is that the Diaz fight is off but a few minutes ago, mmafighting reported that Nate is now fighting Tony. The drama!

Dana will flip out, he can't stand fighters missing weight but 8 pounds over is just plain not caring. An easy fight to catapult you to the level and chimaev **** it up.

Something very odd going on. Chimaev missing weight by that much means he's giving the finger to White.

He mightn't have been happy with the fight in the first place as it was doing nothing to get him closer to a title fight.

There's something very odd going on behind the scenes and I'm guessing that Chimaev wasn't happy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Yeah seems a bit weird to me too, he's also been starting trouble with everyone all week as well but surely he could have just gotten an easy win and elevated his status even more as Nate is one of the most popular fighters.

Can't wait for Diaz Ferguson if it happens tho

Advertisement