Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

After the pct and medical, is it just vetting then? Or are they still doing the second interview/meeting in your local station? Or has there been any mention of this

After getting nothing else has been officially mentioned, meeting in local station seems to have been on all other recruitment campaigns so it probably will happen at some point, the local stations are the ones with the vetting forms as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 krtrssllx

Hi all! I'm new here. I'm in Batch 2 and interviewed on Thursday 9th September. Wish I had've found these threads sooner as I feel a bit lousy after my interview. I prepared really well for it but I felt so nervous I'm not sure I performed to the best of my ability... the waiting is going to kill me! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to everyone & wish you all the best of luck.

Also, is there a groupchat for batch 2 anyone know?

Welcome anyway, better late than never. Done my interview on Wednesday so in batch 2. I’m 50:50 on my performance. Fingers crossed for you. Not sure if theres any group chat set up for batch 2 yet. I know batch 1 have a WhatsApp I’d imagine someone might set one up when we get the interview results

Thanks so much! Fingers crossed for you too! I will keep an eye out for any mention of a groupchat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Spook22

Best of luck with the interviews lads - if you have any specific questions you cant find answers to - drop me a dm and I'll help if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JohnSmith98

What did people struggle most with on thr interview? I found I didn't really have a precise specific example for one of the competencies just general ones and I felt I was raked over the coals a bit for that. Feel I might have fucked the whole thing tbh

@JohnSmith98 I feel exactly the same. Also my working history is very spotty due to other obligations & I felt they really put an emphasis on using work related scenarios for the competencies so I struggled majorly there. I did keep trying to steer the interview to suit my own narrative and use the competencies I'd prepared but they cut me off a couple of times. I honestly don't know what to expect.

What I was told is that if they butt in, with another question it’s just to help get the answer they want, basically to help you too. So don’t think too much into it. I was told my examples we’re fairly good now going into it and I done the garda ip course too and I still had them butt into my answers alot. You need 25 out of 50 per competency, so who knows, maybe in some of them you might of gotten high 40’s and then in the others high 20’s which covers ya to pass. Im worried too cause I know I done really strong in 4 of them, but then for resilience my 2 examples didn’t suit their questions, so I’m just hoping I’ve done enough to get over 25 in it, I’d try forget about it now until the results or we’ll drive ourselves nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KD1993

Thanks for your help @[Deleted User] , much appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Hey everyone does anyone know what the medical entails? :) Is it true they've started doing hair follicle tests instead of urine? 😂😂 Do they just do blood pressure, lung capacity etc? Thanks :)

@Willie Stroker 1976 oh yeah absolutely they did interrupt to help me stay on point but they also interrupted while I was outlining the situation in a competency and didn't let me finish which knocked the wind out of my sails a bit. You're right though, best not to dwell.

Have you started to fill in form B just incase? I was considering contacting references now to give them a heads up, just to be prepared, but I don't want to jump the gun.

Started it today, only done a small bit. Going to go at it properly next week and have it ready just incase because I know there is alot of information I’ll need to gather. Best to have it done and ready just incase, hey if it doesn’t work out with the interview atleast we’ll have all our aunt’s and uncles date of births😂

Gardai in templemore said its a hair test when we were down doing the PCT.

I had my medical yesterday and they asked for a urine sample but I think that was just to test for other things as once they had used the dip strip they disposed of it.

Medical was lung capacity, eyes, hearing, height, weight, general movement and then asking about your medical background

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

Anyone that's done the pct, did ye need doctors clearance to do this? Or anything of that ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

I have been wearing contact lenses since 2013 & both eyes are -1.25, what’s involved in the eye test ? If I went into an optician what’s the threshold I’m trying to achieve without the contacts ? No harm doing a practice run 🙈

@[Deleted User] Oh so they didn't carry out the hair during the medical? That's strange, thought they'd do everything at once 😂 deadly, that KS again for the information, seems like it should be a breeze :) best of luck in your future with the force :)

Hahaha yes I have always wanted to know when my aunt that I haven't seen since I was 3 years old was born! Exciting stuff. 😁

I'll get cracking on it this week just to get a head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭blinkinghinds

Minium 6/18 visual acuity in both eyes, if you're prescription is only -1.25 you should be ok for that I would guess.

As you said go to an optician and they'll easily tell you if you're good.

They required us to have GP letters on the day, I just brought the physical copy of the one that was sent to them with the Form B

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] what does the GP letter have to contain ? Oh Mr. X is of sound mind and physically well ? Or is it a full on disclosure of all your medical history ?

Yea, it basically just needs to state your GP is satified you are in the physical condition to undergo the PCT.

In other words, that you have two legs and seem grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KaWinNee

Great post. On the bleep test, do they stop you when you have reached your required level or are you expected to run until.. well.. you cant anymore?

You are told you may (and should) stop once you reach your required level.

Some of the instructors are more consistent than others at stopping you, but regardless, if you're certain you completed your required level, you may stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AshleyOH23

Hey guys, passed fitness just waiting on medical now but a bit confused over the bmi aspect. Like I’m over according to bmi but did well in the PCT test? Anyone any ideas how strict that is? Seems silly that you could pass fitness test but still be failed on BMI and if you are failed on bmi what happens then? Do you get to retest?

I sat the S2 assessments on the 08-08 and my OOM is between 1,300 and 1,350 from the S1 results. Has anyone any idea where they’re at the moment with the OOM ? Around 700 mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JohnSmith98

Are you over the BMI because you're fat or because you live in the gym? If it's the latter it won't be a problem (BMI is a very crude measurement anyway) if its the former I'd lay off the pies for a while just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Starlight27

You could of put that in more of a polite manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Louise97

great point from johnsmith98. just simply stop being fat and be as class as him.

• Advertisement

Once your BMI isnt way over, you will be afforded the chance to go away and correct it to within the acceptable range.

If its barely over and you seem in good health, I imagine (but cant say for certain) the doctor can use their discretion in terms of deciding how suitable you are.

Congrats on passing the PCT, I'm inclined to agree that should be indication enough, but unfortunately I dont make those calls!

Advertisement