Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Thoughts and prayers for Clare Daly and Mick Wallace today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

As with Izyum yesterday I will take talk about Lysychansk with a pinch of salt for another 24 hours, but so far nothing about this advance has been shown to be exagerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If you look at the comments under pro-Russian Youtube accounts you'll see remarks like "Just wait until Russia actually takes this seriously and mobilises in full". They basically see it as a trump card that Putin has up his sleeve that he can play that guarantees victory. When you dig a little bit deeper though it quickly becomes apparent that there are a lot of holes in this logic:

• The Russians have already used conscription in this war: in Luhansk and Donetsk every able bodied man was press-ganged into the war. Their units were some of the worst performing in the war due to their lack of training and motivation.
    • While Russians in the West of the country appear to be more than happy for young men from the poorer ethnic Republics (like Chechnya, Dagestan, Tuva & Baryatia) to fight and die in Ukraine they are unlikely to be as enthusiastic to go and join the conflict themselves. This was one of the main reasons why Putin hasn't declared this as a war from the beginning.
    • While Russia has potentially got huge number of men that they could call up, when you drill into the numbers they aren't as impressive. Most men with combat experience are already in Ukraine. Apart from the very brief Georgian war, in 2008, the last time Russia hasn't been involved in a major land war since the Chechan wars. Most of the veterans from that would be nearer to 50 than 30.
    • The more of the security forces that are sent to Ukraine the less are available to suppress dissent in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭jackboy

Thats mad. Mad but interesting.It would take some collapse though before China would chance taking a chunk of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

How is the security council meeting going an invader saying rules don't apply to us but to others somehow. First rule of war say your going to attack somewhere then don't. Much easier if the enemy is waiting on the green to go and rob his house and take the valuables. Then come back and beat them with the valuables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We're certainly heading into uncharted waters. A sudden collapse of Russian forces in eastern Ukraine was not anticipated by anyone, perhaps not even by the Ukrainians themselves. It's going to be very difficult for the regime to control the narrative when things are clearly going badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

If Russia starts collapsing from within you can be sure the Chinese are licking their lips at the prospect as will the US and Europe. I guarantee they will have plans at the ready. a lot of natural resources to be exploited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

I know. I've said it before, Ukraine isn't doing this to dominate chit chat in every pub and every dinner table. Support is strong and actually the better Ukraine does militarily the more Russia will probably continue to weaponise energy. We just have to find ways to live with it. The other hope is that if the Russian military continues to suffer such setbacks it has to surely weaken Putin's standing in Russia and just maybe some force will emerge that wants to take Russia in a better direction

I have always said this if China smells blood in the water it's an easy win. They have probably been given a tour of all the silos and alike.

I can imagine if dissent grows around the various parts of Russia, the Chinese would enter Russia to protect the ethnic Chinese as an aid the Russian government… they’d make that clear when several miles inside Russia. Russian requests to leave would not be understood due to poor communications.

Russia is very weak now, is a HUGE country very sparsely populated. China has a huge population and could develop that part of Russia.

I don’t think Moscow would risk a nuclear war with China for the arse end of Russia. They’d be humiliated, but that’s happening with Ukraine now anyway. Putin the Great, more like Putin the Pathetic.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember all those mysterious fires?

We all knew they were HIMARS.

Depleting Russian ammo depots before the counter attack.

Could be very interesting alright. Russia could very easily become a battle ground for China v The West.

No idea at this stage with what they come out with on tv. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The worst case scenario for Putin and Russia may be unfolding. Quite a few people assumed that the Rus-Ukr war could drag on for years, with minor moves going backwards and forwards in eastern Ukraine. A sudden collapse by the Russian army in the east will / would be seen as total humiliation for Putin at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The start was very sloppy and it looked a bit unbanced - simply not up with the current standard; there was some good twist in the aerials, but the rotation simply wasn't there and lacked sufficient speed; that landing - what can one say but complete disaster; a stumble and small step and you might as well not have come, taking a knee, you should give up the sport or get a better coach, but that landing - well you might as well have landed on your head as makes no difference.

Turret diving…. Poor effort as you say, but the Russians would still win gold, silver and bronze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd like to hear something like "Putin dies after fall from Kremlin roof. Witnesses at the scene report he screamed, 'This fall is entirely my own fault'".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Agreed, will clarify going forward just to make sure.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is a word for it:

Defenestration is a word for the act of throwing something or someone out of a window or remove from a position of power.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The problem that he has is that his presidency is linked to his life. He ain't going to ever step down and retire to the fishing boat.

If he steps down or gets moved aside, the new leader will do a job on him. Either to extradite him for war crimes or arrested for corruption. He has to win this war, he has no other option, which is the scary thing.

Ultimately though, he has created his own shitshow.

Thats not going to happen, unlike Russia we live in Democracies. No EU army or NATO army is going into Russia and rightly so. I hope to see them be defeated comprehensively in Ukraine and sanctioned into Economic oblivion but not invaded. Ukraine is for Ukrainians and in the same light Russia is for Russians.

Perhaps after 20 years of commitment to real democracy, free press, handing over war criminals to ICC, Salisbury murderers to British police, Factory bombers to Czech Police, Airforce hijackers of Ryanair flights to Irish Police, they can be slowly readmitted to the international community, but I and many people who detest the current Russian (indeed all historic Russian governments) think that all countries are sovereign, including Russia.

Well that I know that word. Originated in Prague.

The Slavonic peoples do have a taste for multi tasking the use of windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Just saw a bit of a Wion xi special. China's spending on internal security and mass surveilance is $193 billion, while external security spending is sometheng like $123 billion. That last isn't correct, but has the right flavour.

Not hard to guess where the best and brightest most likely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Agree totally. I was kidding about the atomic bomb in London. They're not that stupid.

As for a particularly nasty farewell present to Ukraine, I also fear that but am not as certain as I was a few weeks ago. I thought then there is no way they will retreat without completely destroying every bit of land they have to leave behind. But at the moment that does seem to be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Good idea, we can't have people offended for the russians or those with some ruski in them, that they may know. Maybe these people were out protesting against the special military operation? (yeah right)

On another note, this forum has been as busy today as I've seen it in months. Seems to be a total rout in UA and I really hope this is the beginning of the end.

Anyone in UA, that should not be there, is fair game until they have crossed back over the border into that backwards dump they came form and I don't care what "impoverished" region they came from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm certainly not dismissing it at all. Maybe you missed the part where I said it was "fantastic". I merely pointed out that moving that quickly could be problematic logistically. Especially if the Russians can mount an offensive on these Ukrainian troops in this current mass push. What's surprised me is how "easily" Ukraine has been able to do so much in such a short time in this area.

The fog of war covers a lot and has done from the start. From those who thought Kyiv would fall in weeks, to others who were convinced that Russia would run out of bullets and money within weeks. There's been a lot of back and forth, highs and lows and a lot of bullshít too in this conflict.

For me a real pain throughout is if you weren't crowing slava Ukraine! and stating you're against Russia's murderous invasion with every bloody post you were somehow a putinbot or tankie. And many of the same people sit and wonder how the "dumb orcs" at home are so easily gung ho about all this and believe all they're told, when they're exhibiting the same blinkered thinking.

The question I'd be asking is with this war going on in Ukraine, Russian forces barely moving in months and stalemated, what the fúck are they thinking playing war games with men and materiel in the east with China? Have they that much to spare? Unlikely, though Russians seem to be convinced they have(they're also convinced of their "wonder weapons" yet to be unleashed. Echos of Germany in the last throes of losing in 45). Is putin so desperate to show to China he has things so well in hand that he can waste military resources for political reasons? That makes more sense, but again if that's true I'd be asking what the fúck is he thinking? If I were a Russian soldier on the ground, especially one legging it in the last 48 hours I'd be that question too.

It really looks like Russian leadership is a shambles in so many areas. The daft run at Kyiv that fell on its arse. Now of course the putinists think this was a "clever feint", because you couldn't hope to take a city that size with so few troops is their "thinking". Or maybe your military leadership and forces are simply not fit for purpose? Occam's razor Vlad. No doubt this will be a "clever feint" too... Then there was the talk among putinists of germ warfare involving ducks or something... Then there was the 30 odd French military advisors in Mariupol... Their spin now is they were there, but because their bodies were incinerated they couldn't be identifed. Yep. I kid thee not. There was also the rocket that took out 50 of Ukraines top generals and officers. Nada about that since. Last week it was 60 Ukrainian armed forces killed trying to attack the nuclear power plant. The list of fantasy LSD trip guff out of Russia that so many Russians believe is a long one. Of course they've spinning any losses because CIA/NATO troops are on the ground, that they're fighting NATO and it's not the Ukrainians that are winning.

Look Vlad if ye were actually fighting NATO in conventional war, your airforce would be stains on the ground within a fortnight, your command and control network wouldn't exist within a week or two, there would barely be a tank with a turret attached in the whole country and you would have been pushed back to your borders last May or June.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement