Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe they are an independent body that receives state funding but which is not answerable to the public.

The Irish government abrogated it's responsibility to the public and the concept of democracy - that the people should have the final say in how the country is run, via the balot box - by giving ABP a voice and a role which is outside the precepts of democracy.

AT is even worse, they scrutinise and carefully self selct members on the basis of them being thir kind of people, so there isn't the slightest whiff of balance, let alone public accountability, and yet they are given a public and crucial voice in what is supposed to have a passing resemblance to being a democracy. It's Irishness at it's best.

Incredibly important functions of Irish society have been excised from the democratic process and accountabilty and put in the hands of incredibly powerful zealots. But in a country happy to have an order of nuns run a national maternity hospital, what else could you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I'm sure there are no johny 50 houses stopping building in an area that would bring the price down 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And the anti greens pretending to care about fish kills from zinc mining, while the largest rivers in the world are drying up before our eyes, and Nuclear power stations are being granted permission to dump hot water into rivers knowing that this will be a disaster for local aquatic life.

Zinc mining for the use of battery storage would actually reduce the amount of environmental zinc which is produced as a waste product from burning Coal.

The landscape isn't being destroyed with 'Vast numbers of wind turbines'

We have 6GW of installed wind on our Island. you can drive across the country and see as many power stations along the way as you'll see wind farms. And just being able to see something in the distance is not an argument that the landscape has been 'destroyed'.

If you want to have electricity, then you need to accept the infrastructure to supply it. If you want electricity at a reasonable cost, we need to get away from Gas and Oil as renewables are currently producing electricity at 1/9th of the cost of gas.

And before you say 'but nuclear' you'll be stuck with the massively expensive gas for the 10-15 years minimum it would take to get a nuclear facility operational in Ireland. (and the then you're left with massively expensive nuclear infrastructure to maintain for the next 30-40 years)

Is this not the regulators' job?

Maybe she needs to be sacked and we install someone who actually gives crap about improving the grid and regulating the energy resellers

Who would be Anti Green now ? Oh you mean Anti Green parties and the crazy agendas. We get it Green party pollution good. Most are just not letting some away with mystical green batteries they don't exist. If these things burst they cause massive environmental damage. That cannot be got away from.

• Advertisement

Indeed. This should not be in the hands of ABP. It needs to be legislated for (or against). It’s a complete abdication of government responsibility with regards to our energy security

You may not have been paying attention for the past 20 years where every single time a scientist, using scientific discourse, mentioned the word uncertainty, this was pounced upon by professional climate change deniers who pursued the strategy of always emphasising the uncertainty as if this meant the scientists didn't actually know anythng. Every time a scientist was seen on the media to warn about the dangers of climate change, they were 'balanced' by some PR guy or politician who said the exact opposite with zero evidence to support their side.

The discourse has been poisoned to the point where scientists felt they had to harden their language and emphasise what we know for near certainty.

There is plenty of uncertainty in climate science but we have more than enough evidence and data that means we should have been taking concerted action to avert a crisis decades ago.

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

I think Ryan has flipped : https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40958870.html

"We have to fast-track investment and resources in wind and solar to secure our energy independence and create an Ireland 100% powered by renewable energy."

He's been at too many expense account dinners listening to the BS from the wind industry, I read a few months ago they were saying they could supply all of Irelands needs if only planning rules were relaxed.

That decision was always going to be delayed.

Fyi public consultation is reopen based on the new information from NFE. You're welcome to take a look at it and give your response. I have, as have many others

Lol, good old gaslightiing. Half the people on this thread blame Eamon Ryan every time they stub their toe or stand on a piece of lego.

And if a zinc battery did 'burst' it causes local damage to a small area.

What happens if a nuclear reactor 'bursts'?

Or there's an oil spill, What about the millions of metric tonnes of methane that escapes from coal mining or flaring from oil and gas wells....

Climate change is already causing extinctions of species, and the study below says warming greater than 5.2c could trigger a mass extinction event in the worlds oceans.

Obviously I'm not in favour of poorly constructed batteries 'bursting' and causing local environmental damage, but the context is that failing to tackle climate change, failing to prevent the tipping points means we are increasing the risk of much more catastrophic consequences

• Advertisement

'Flipped' to saying the exact same thing he's been saying for years?

Wow

There has only ever been one reactor failure. The other was a natural disaster. Let's forget about the groundwater people drink from shall we.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

If you want to have electricity, then you need to accept the infrastructure to supply it. If you electricity at a reasonable cost, we need to get away from Gas and Oil as renewables are currently producing electricity at 1/9th of the cost of gas.

Why are you lying when this was explained to you already? What you mean is: "the cheapest bid for onshore wind in a July auction in another country was 1/9th the spot price of gas during a one-day price spike on August 26th 2022".

Onshore wind in Ireland is coming in at 250% of the UK price. And, if we're allowed cherry pick our dates, Irish onshore wind is three times the price of European natural gas on August 26th 2021 and ten times the price on August 26th 2020. It's three times the price of US natural gas today.

Anyone but a dyed-in-the-wool zealot acknowledges that the current European gas price is a regional aberration caused by 40% of supplies being taken off the market by a country that has a quarter of global reserves. There is enough NG globally to rebalance supply and demand, we just have a temporary import bottleneck.

If you're really pushing a renewables agenda based on cost price, then watch yer ass because they have no chance of competing with natural gas in the medium term. And that's even before we factor in differences based on availability of firm power.

Lol. There has never been a failure of a Zinc Air battery, so Zinc Air is winning.

The fake concern is hilarious.

How many oil spills have there been? How many times have nuclear waste been dumped or leaked from poorly contained storage? Sellafield was fined for sending radioactive waste to landfill less than 10 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jun/14/sellafield-fined-waste-landfill

And in case you haven't been following the news, the biggest nuclear facility in Europe is currently in critical danger of being breached due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Cutting backup power to a nuclear power station is the reason Fukushima melted down.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/09/offsite-power-supply-to-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-destroyed

You can spin it as much as you like. In a very recent auction for wind generation, it fetched a price 1/9th of the cost of gas generation at the moment.

We have been told on this thread so many times that Ireland needs to exploit new Irish offshore gas fields because the gas supply from the UK is unreliable (completely separate from the Ukranian situation as we don't import a single molecule of Russian gas through this pipeline)

Maybe you need to get into a huddle with the other anti green posters on this thread to get your stories straight.

Well since the batteries are not out yet that's why. And your over simplification of the Fukushima meltdown is shocking. The power was cut because of the Tsunami hitting the place. The Ukrainian reactor will not be going anywhere. You would swear a bit of wind and they go off like a Nuke.

The power was cut because of the tsunami. Everyone knows this. Zaporizhzhia's power is cut because of the russian occupation of the installation.

The reason why these things happen are fun things to discuss afterwards, but the IAEA don't think it's particularly amusing.

The plant is after losing a vital part of it's safety infrastructure. The IAEA describe the situation as precarious

You can spin it as much as you like. In a very recent auction for wind generation, it fetched a price 1/9th of the cost of gas generation at the moment.

I don't need to spin it, your statement above is factually wrong. Would you care to check the actual numbers (like I have), or are you just going by a second-hand article by BoJo?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Very interesting on Japan and planning. Not overly surprise. Japan showed at COP26 they have more concern for the welfare of their citizens than, unlike here, those of a cult. But then Japan have recent first hand experience of the damage a cult can cause.

An Taisce have morphed from concerns over heritage to full scale green warriors. A few years back they fought against the U.K. Hinkley Point nuclear plant all the way to the U.K. Court of Appeal where after losing they were still determined to appeal to the European Court of Justice but were denied. Shame really as the U.K. won that ECJ case, and unlike her where An Taisce can challenge under anything environmentally related through the courts without having to worry about financial costs being awarded against them, going to the ECJ might have softened their cough. They represent nobody other than, as their own bumph states "a membership featuring like-minded volunteers" so objectivity is not high on their priority list.

ABP are not much better. Appointed and answerable to nobody where the only recourse to overturning a decision by them is through a judicial review. An expensive exercise for anyone wishing to do that as ABP will like An Taisce appeal all the way up the line without any fear of it costing them a cent. They were never fit for purpose, but after the Paul Hyde decisions plus other recent cases where others on the board have over-ruled their own inspectors if possible, they are even more unfit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I hopes you have factored in the cost of building and decommissioning nuclear, along with the reprocessing and longterm storage of the spent fuel?

• Advertisement

I have no doubt you have, but as I have a life I`ll give it a pass.

As I said, even though ABP have shown themselves unfit for purpose, after Eamon Ryan`s blatant attempts at influencing their decision I don`t blame them for kicking the can down the road on the basis of "Feck off ye caused the problem, so don`t come running to us now to fix it for ye"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

🤣 The Minister with responsibility, the leader of the party you defend regardless spends, two years ignoring Eirgrid and the regulator on energy security and now you want to sack her because of the grid.

Man that is some serious fcuked up logic.🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No, but if you'd care to give it a go, including the cost of decommissioning and disposing of 3 sets turbine blades needed to generate 20 GW for 60 years, i'd be delighted to look at your figures and links.

Post edited by cnocbui on

🤷‍♂️ The system is there for submissions so don't come crying if it gets turned down as a result of said submissions

If you go look at the websites of An Taisce and Friends of the Irish Environment you'll also see there is some overlap in the management. Which is interesting because they've sometimes both brought cases against the same projects, like a sort of litigious tag team.

There will be CPOs in this case it's a complete dereliction of Government duty to its citizens in regards to Energy in a first world country. Once Government land ABP can go jump. If a Single blackout happens heads will roll. If the net goes down Heads will roll. The general public will be livid in regards to Data centres and profiteering in the windmill sector. Greens tend to forget were used to heat, Lights stuff like that. There will be no putting the Green top on and WWII it out spirit. It will be squarely laid at this governments door. Russia seems on the verge of collapse now so Greens cant use that excuse even if they try to turn the taps back on could be civil war in Russia so no Gas anyway. Wheels all coming off it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Advertisement

You accused me of being a scaremonger who goes way above what the IPCC say is going to happen

I quoted from an IPCC press release that said we have a rapidly closing window to act to ensure we have a liveable climate for future generations

I then referenced a brand new study which talked about all of the tipping points we are about to cross, which make the IPCC projections for future warming far too conservative

So in summary, The IPCC DO think we are heading for an existential crisis, and that's true even as the IPCC are being too conservative about how much warming we are at risk of causing.

The IPCC are regularly criticised by climate scientists for under representing the risk of these tipping points causing abrupt accelerations in climate change

There is uncertainty about where these tipping points are, so it would be prudent to err on the side of caution because the consequences of exceeding those points are existential

An IPCC press release is not "science" no matter who writes it. It's a press release. It carries no more weight than the UN Secretary General blathering about "code red for humanity" and "millions at imminent risk from climate change" in response to the release of AR6. My consistent experience is that whether it's news media or the UN Chief Alarmist, the perennial doom mongering never matches what the science actually says. That's why I only read original sources. (Disclaimer: I am decidedly not a scientist; however I do have three degree and advanced degree qualifications in hard sciences, none of them climate related. I point this out only as evidence that, although this subject area is outside my expertise, I'm well used to reading and assessing academic papers generally).

You say you "referenced" a brand new study. To me, a reference is a link to an actual paper. You linked to a summary in the journal Science. Even though their website says they've made the article generally available "as a service to the community", their login mechanism appears to be broken. So I'm going to hazard a guess you didn't actually read this paper yourself? Your fellow alarmist on this thread, Da Cor, also linked a press release version of it. You're going to have to excuse me for not accepting press release versions -- those are generally sensationalist and rely on the general public not being able to make their own assessment. No, I want to stick my finger in the wound. Fortunately, I've managed to dig up the pre-print version that was submitted for peer review -- follow the PDF link here. (You're welcome).

So, does this paper point to a newly discovered existential crisis based on climate tipping points? In a word, no. It's not very different from what was already in AR6. Nor does it contain any new evidence -- it is primarily a literature review with a mind-numbing 312 references. (112 of them were added between the pre-print and the publication in Science, so I acknowledge that the version I'm reading is probably substantially different from the final one, but it's all I've got). A not inconsiderable number of the references list at least one of the current paper's contributors as an author, so there is some self-referential citing going on. Some are also explicit inputs to AR6, being some of the working groups' contributions. Obviously it's utterly impossible to chase up every reference but I tabulated their years of publication -- 2012 or earlier (45 references), 2013 (23), 2014 (10), 2015 (22), 2016 (23), 2017 (18), 2018 (20), 2019 (23), 2020 (45), 2021 (50), 2022 (16), uncertain date (17).

So a lot of these papers were around well before AR6 and are presumably not "news". About a quarter were published after 2020, probably too late for AR6 to take note of. Again, the volume is too large to chase up but I went through the titles of all 66 papers from 2021-22, and didn't notice anything especially remarkable. There's a few on Antarctic ice loss, which one of authors (Winkelmann) seems to have a special interest in and has contributed to several of the referenced papers herself. More on this below.

I think it's worth quoting the "Rationale" section of the article in Science:

Since the original identification of tipping elements there have been substantial advances in scientific understanding from paleoclimate, observational, and model-based studies. Additional tipping elements have been proposed (e.g., parts of the East Antarctic ice sheet) and the status of others (e.g., Arctic summer sea ice) has been questioned. Observations have revealed that parts of the West Antarctic ice sheet may have already passed a tipping point. Potential early warning signals of the Greenland ice sheet, Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, and Amazon rainforest destabilization have been detected. Multiple abrupt shifts have been found in climate models. Recent work has suggested that up to 15 tipping elements are now active (Lenton et al., 2019). Hence it is timely to synthesize this new knowledge to provide a revised shortlist of potential tipping elements and their CTP thresholds.

These authors are "experts" on tipping points. We can be sure of this because quite a few of the references are to their own previously published work! For instance, Lenton et al., 2019 mentioned above is here:

One of the things that I doubt almost any member of the general public realises from the breathless press releases is that imminent tipping points do not mean imminent consequences. We are talking about things that could unfold over the next ten thousand years. Greenland and Antarctic ice sheet collapses occur over a period of one to several thousand years under high warming conditions. I don't know about you, but treating events that will unfold over the next several thousand years as an "existential crisis" seems like idiocy to me. The adaptive capabilities of humanity over those timeframes are utterly unknowable. It would be like trying to predict 21st century technology back in the late Bronze Age.

Curiously, one of the references added in the final version of the paper is Lowry et al., "The influence of emissions scenarios on future Antarctic ice loss is unlikely to emerge this century", Commun. Earth Environ.2, 221 (2021):

From the abstract of that paper:

With historically constrained ice sheet simulations and a statistical emulator, we demonstrate that a high-emissions signature of the Antarctic Ice Sheet sea-level contribution will not unambiguously emerge from the wide potential range of low-emission sea-level projections for over 100 years due to current limitations in our understanding in ice flow and sliding.

In case it's not obvious, what this is saying is that we're not going to know this side of 2100 what the eventual fate of the Antarctic Ice Sheet will be over thousands of years. Because this reference was added in the final Science article, I can't tell what Armstrong McKay et al. have to say about it. However, for me it adds to the folly of their whole endeavour. In effect they are saying we have to take urgent mitigating actions against something we won't even know is a problem for another century, and then will unfold over thousands of years.

In summary:

• We don't actually know if any of these so-called tipping points are even real;
    • None of them are news -- they are all covered in AR6 under the heading of Carbon Cycle Feedbacks;
    • AR6 did not consider any of them likely during the 21st century;
    • The scientists pushing for urgent action on mitigation seem very coy about considering the economic impacts of that;
    • We don't yet even know the most basic input to all climate change models -- the sensitivity of the climate to a doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentrations. However, the evidence points to the low end of the range of possibilities.

If this was just a case of being prudent about a low-likelihood-high-impact event, I would fully embrace it. But the cost of mitigation may very well be economy-wrecking. For me, that completely changes the picture. We face the certainty of ruinous economic outcomes versus the extreme uncertainty of consequential climate impacts. I am entirely open to somebody coming up with a realistic summary of the economic implications, but the Greens won't bloody do it! Quite apart from that, their narrow-focused --some would say blinkered -- approach to mitigation using renewables is practically guaranteed not to work.

You can read the rest of the Science article pre-print at the link I provided. Again, I am not seeing a vast difference from what was published about tipping points in AR6. I am definitely not seeing an existential crisis. And even if I did, I wouldn't support the Greens' ham-fisted policies which won't work anyway.

Post edited by ps200306 on

Advertisement