Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was coined by the video-game "Borderlands", but I quite like the term pre-sequel to refer to this kind of production; being a sequel to the prequel, but also a prequel for a character in the prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damn but my expectations for this keep rising; tentatively but definitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm the same. I have to keep reminding myself that the Obi-Wan trailers failed to mention a stupid romp with a child Leah.

That clip weirdly, retroactively contextualised that really awful moment in Obi-Wan and the Great Trenchcoat Caper; that the Empire are so arrogant, is such a dehumanising and vast apparatus that yeah - maybe nobody would have noticed a scruffy man hiding a child under a coat lol 😂

Trying to keep the hype in check but it really does look like it could be a good one. But then such is the power of a well-edited trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Excellent clip. I am SO looking forward to this. BUT with a big But, I have been burned before. Boba Fett was pretty poor. I wasn't really expecting much but they made the character pretty pathetic and incompetent and the less said about his spunky mid-20's "teenagers" quadrophenia Power Rangers the better. The Mandalorian is enjoyable enough but we need to see more exploration of him and his place in the universe (I'm assuming that is coming after last season's actions/Boba Fett episodes). I enjoyed Obi-wan much more but it was not without its flaws. Young Leia was great but, no offence to the girl, I don't want to see her again. Want them to move on.

So I want a story that's not all about Skywalkers or Jedi or Sith Lords. I want a story that's about the down-in-the-trenches grunts who have, up to now, been ignored. The many Bothans :D I sound like a broken record but I would love to see a cop show set thousands of years before. Jedi all around but not about these Generals and their political machinations. But deal with the aftermath/their impact of everyone else.

I loved the start of Spiderman Homecoming where you saw the salvage crew losing their contract because Tony Stark's company took over. Wrecks the gaff and then profits off it. Dick move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I ain't gettin on no ... eh I mean.. I ain't watchin no clip!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I so thought this was supposed to be out yesterday and was really looking forward to it :(

Can't believe we still have nearly 3 weeks to wait before it's out :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

10 years after acquiring the rights and Disney still can't move away from the George Lucas time line. Comics , games and books have done a far better job at expanding the Star Wars universe than Disney.

Andor is more content for the sake of content thats predictably and tediously attached to a very small time time in an expansive universe.

Id honestly be more excited to watch those mooted Rian Johnson films than anther woeful tv show that's still feasting off the carcass of the original time line

How many of the Andor episodes have you seen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Rogue one was superb, cant wait for this

Mod: @BruteStock @breezy1985 Quit bickering, and especially wind back the personal attacks from you, Brute.

Posts deleted, consider it a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The trailers really do make it look the business. Obi-Wan made me ready to give up Star Wars for a few years; this may yet pull me back in

Obi Wan trailers were very good at leaving out the annoying child Leah.

This could yet be about some stupid "cute" memberberry but there is hope

Obviously we'll see how it all pans out, but I think the starting point is a better place than Obi-Wan ever could have hoped to be. It's still another prequel, but Cassian Andor has more options than fellow blank slate Boba Fett; and the trailer seems to hint towards a much stronger sense of self, and what the story will be to be about. Obi-Wan was always on a hiding to nothing in trying to write excuses so the Jedi paused a known exile and hermit life, all that the the series could happen.

We'll see, but my hype has definitely been on an upward trajectory. Boba Fett and Obi-Wan both kicked my fandom into touch and then some. I was ready to just move on from this franchise TBH - then Andor quietly tapped me on the shoulder.

Andor himself was a very good character and actor who like you say is a bit of a blank slate which creates less issues.

Another plus is the cast looks good. Skarsgard is always great, Shaw is back and Withaker I suppose will run around doing his eye thing.

The problem with Fett was we only just before had the character and show Fett should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Three episodes dropping Wednesday morning. Not especially psyched about this, didn't find him a hugely engaging character in Rogue One, but will give it a whirl

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched Rogue One this evening for the first time to see if I'd be interested in this. I thought it was alright and so I'll give the series a look. I didn't find Andor a very compelling character though and I would have preferred a series from the perspective of Jyn. I liked the robot sidekick and I hope he's involved in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the three episodes and that was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Episode one - Poor - very little happens -

watching episode 2 now

NOTE: These episodes are VERY short - episode one was roughly 35 minutes of story

Just beginning Ep2, and taking 5 mins of creds - and a 4 min intro - the story part looks to be 25 odd mins long

Not impressed so far

I loved Rogue one, i consider it Disney's only good addition to Star Wars

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Episode 2 - very poor - once again nothing really happens

What does happen is incredibly predictable - no spoilers but you can literally tell by peoples body language what they are going to do several scenes in advance

EP2 is about 28 mins of story - it is FAR FAR too short

Ep3 - a slight pay off but the pacing is dire in this show

Episode 1,2, & 3 could have been a single 50min episode, with much of the padding removed - it would have been... OK (ish)

• The episodes are bland.
    • The dialogue is tedious at times
    • the story so far is very poor
    • As stated pacing is dire - it makes the Hobbit look like a Fast moving thriller by comparison
    • The flash back scenes dont belong in the show - if necessary for the plot they should have saved it for episode 6(ish), and just gave you the prequel piece for Andor
    • The Villains of the first 3 episodes are dull, uninteresting, and incompetent -
    • Things happen which are supposed to have emotional resonance (people die, and are pushed around etc) - the music lingers on these moments - and i feel like fast forwarding -

This show is thus far very unimpressive. There is nothing canon objectionable yet (Kenobi wise, it should be stated that 3 eps in, we had nothing objectionable either so)

Quite frankly i would be bemused to find anyone who enjoyed it ALL - there is hope it will improve but, meh - i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

Any thoughts on why they are doing this with the short episodes?

A lot of things on Disney+, mostly Marvel and Star Wars, seem like they are movie ideas that have been made this way because it costs less to make things for TV and the number of episodes usually means you'd need more than a single months subscription to see them all.

12 episodes at 30 minutes each is still a solid 6 hours of content but if they are padding it out and just wasting time then it just seems like they are taking movie ideas and trying to stretch them out into TV shows.

Kravas shot first.

• Advertisement

I have no idea RE the short eps - its not the first Star wars show i have seen to have this problem - i seem to recall the Mandalorian having several abruptly short eps - just checked wiki and yes Mando says 30-50mins

TBH i think it is what it seems to be - an attempt to take a 6 Episode season and stretch it to last 12 episodes - Remember when you look at the episodes run time - you have to account for

• Previously On 'THIS SHOW'
    • Then the Star Wars Lucasfilm intro chime
    • The credits at the end in multiple languages

It facilitates them to take a 25 minute segment - and stretch to an apparent 40 minutes

So when you see a show that is 35 minutes in Totality - that is a mere 25 odd minutes of story telling -

Very poor - these three episodes should have sucked is in to Andor, and had us hungry for more - i cannot speak for the rest of you, but im kinda full now

Will just wait n see

Interested to see what others think

Advertisement