Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Off to bed now. I'll probably wake up to find the Kremlin surrounded by tanks or something.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Good read in NY Times

As Russians Retreat, Putin Is Criticized by Hawks Who Trumpeted His War

“You’re throwing a billion-ruble party,” one pro-Russian blogger wrote in a widely circulated post on Saturday, referring to the Putin-led celebrations in Moscow commemorating the 875th anniversary of the city’s founding. “What is wrong with you? Not at the time of such a horrible failure.”

"The stunned fury reflects how some analysts believe many in the Russian elite view the war: a campaign rife with incompetence, conducted on the cheap, that can only be won if Mr. Putin mobilizes the nation onto a war footing and declares a draft."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are underestimating Ukrainians and belling cat (CIA).

When Russia is on its knees, begging the west for financial aid, as they did last time, you just make the kids the currency of exchange and you wont even need to go sleuthing or open the archive of intel data gathered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"The head of Ukraine's atomic agency, Enerhoatom, has accused Russian occupation troops at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant in war-torn southeastern Ukraine of torturing and killing some of the facility's Ukrainian staff and abducting around 200 of them."

On a news channel some hours ago, it was said that at least two workers had been murdered and others were being tortured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Hopefully this media blackout is lifted today and we get more positive news. Lot's of rumours floating about and the "front line" is surely Very fluid. Can't wait to see where it all settles.

This unfortunately is the least shocking news to come out about the forces of Mordor.

I’d say these Ukrainian power plant staff are living under concentration camp conditions and not many/any will be allowed to live to tell any tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

If it helps them in their operation (and robs the Russians of a source of intel) I’m all for the media blackouts.

As an interested observer I’d prefer to know it all in realtime, but more importantly I’d prefer Ukraine to win.

I was out of the news loop a bit beyond the whole Queen stuff, but damn…in future years I hope to read the details of what exactly caused the Russians to bug out on this front. In a matter of days and hours Ukraine took back strategic towns I had expected the Russians to fortify and fight hard to keep. There’s even some reports of Ukraine coming all the way back to Lysychansk.

This appears to be a complete collapse of their defensive line and it might be that they are unable (or in the case of some conscripts, unwilling) to establish a new one. With luck, they might bug out all the way to the border and back to the Donesk trenches.

My only guess is that we might have reached a sort of zero-sum game with the Russians where they simply don’t have enough materials or troops to effectively keep any of this up. They might have gambled and redeployed their best stuff to Kherson, hoping that Ukraine wouldn’t notice how poorly defended the Northern lines were. But I guess, Ukraine noticed, and now Russia has their best available gear & troops (be it, still piss poor) either deployed in a pocket that is now isolated around Kherson, or they were in transit and are now stalled mid-way trying to figure out who needs them more.

If we’re really lucky, that batch of better quality gear/troops might be all they have left. In that case, Ukraine might eventually have a shot at getting the 2 puppet “Republics” back. Maybe even Crimea if Russian Command & Control goes to hell (which frankly is where it belongs).

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

This is being reported on a Russian telegram channel rybar this morning:

North of Kupyansk, the Russian Armed Forces failed to stabilize the front. The AFU continued to advance from both Kupyansk and the Pechenizs'ke Reservoir. By mid-day, Velykyi Burluk was taken.

▪️The Russian Armed Forces command made a similar decision to withdraw the troops holding the defenses in Kupyansk itself and to the north of it. Russian units gradually withdrew to Vovchansk, ensuring the evacuation of refugees. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

Correct, while Tet was a military failure, the psychological blow probably proved fatal. Pictures of the NVA in Saigon attacking the US embassy brought the reality of an unwinnable war home, I believe this northern offensive may do the same im RU

• Advertisement

Russia seems worse from a military command pov than when Stalin decided to kill off all his generals. Or are we forgetting it’s the Russian military intelligence versus the entire Western military minds?

Either way what happened yesterday will enter military strategy lessons for future cadets to study.

“Peter the Great, Comrade Lenin, Comrade Stalin, Comrade Khrushchev, TV Presenter Olga Skabeyeva, Vladimir Putin… can you hear me? Vladimir Putin... your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

A huge thanks to all those who have kept this thread the most up to date source of information of what's happening in Ukraine.

We are watching the power balance of the world changing more than it has in the last 70 years. The information on here has been so welcome and especially the detail around the significance of particular junctures of the war and particularly significant moments and places captured etc.

To those of us fascinate with this conflict and especially the wider context of it it has been exceptional reading. (There's even been the chance to laugh at the outrageous nonsense of a few Putin fanboys)

Putin has been the lightning rod for all sorts of crank dictators and has been the hub of attempts to establish an alternative world order away from or opposing to the American led world order that has been in place since the two world wars. Putin has been the ultimate school bully, pushing the boundaries all the time, getting away with it because the teachers didn't care enough or were too distracted to deal with him. This time the enough of the staff have had enough.

The image of America retreating from Kabul in total disarray is well forgotten now. Joe Biden has much to thank Putin for. After Donald Trumps disastrous foreign policy and discord, Putin has suddenly united the West. Surely he won't be allowed to continue in charge in Russia??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@farmerval

The image of America retreating from Kabul in total disarray is well forgotten now. Joe Biden has much to thank Putin for. After Donald Trumps disastrous foreign policy and discord, Putin has suddenly united the West. Surely he won't be allowed to continue in charge in Russia??

If Putin saw the US retreating from Afghanistan as a green light to pursue his own military goals, then he is an even worse strategist than people are currently suspecting. He should know, first of all, that no conventional military force on Earth can cope with an insurgency if that insurgency can be maintained for long enough, so to see the US pull out of Afghanistan is not necessarily a sign that they're a declining military power. In a conventional ground war, they still crush Russia without trying too hard.

Secondly, it's almost unbelievable that Putin thought he could start a war in 21st century Europe and face anything but a vociferous response from virtually every Western nation. How could it turn into anything other than a massive proxy war? He possibly could have pursued a lightning invasion of Ukraine in 2014, back before the country had received large amounts of Western military aid and training, but for some reason decided to wait until after Ukraine had got all that and continues to get it. To paraphrase Darth Putin - he remains a master strategist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

“Paper does not refuse ink” as the saying goes. And ‘ if you have got a reputation for getting up early , you can stay in bed all day”. I would like to know if there is any of proof of the aledged war games taking place and at what level? One Ru tank racing one Chinese tank or is it more serious than that?

@TheValeyard

Why the Fcuk are the Russian generals off doing war games with India and China when their forces are getting hammered in Kharviv oblast?

Its like a whole play the fiddle when Rome burns thing.

His generals aren't much use, it seems, so maybe he thinks a bit of training for them can only be of benefit. In Putin's mind, he may hope that each general returns knowing Sun Tzu by heart, that the Iranian drones prove effective and those NK conscripts will lay down their lives for the giddy dream of one hot meal per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Could this withdrawal / defeat in last few days just be putin prepping for a ‘WMD’ strike…..move his men and equipment out before he drops the ‘big one’……or if not a ‘WMD’ maybe a ‘mustard gas type’ / chemical attack..?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Putin wouldn’t have the justification to use a WMD unless Ukraine actually invaded Russian soil.

As for chemical attacks I think the eyes of the world are too firmly on him so he couldn’t get away easily with it.

But Putin doesn’t think like a normal human

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a horrific possibility, but surely he knows, and more importantly his chain of command all the way down to the man pushing the actual button on such a thing knows, that if they do that then any pretense at all is gone. That any support they think they have in nations like China and India and the like will vanish in the face of all that. IMHO it would be the end for Russia. The political and economic fallout abroad and at home would make what they're currently facing look like a joke. I could see mass expulsions of Russian embassies and politicians, even ex pat Russians themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

His options are:

nuke

draft

defeat/withdrawal of troops.

Seems like a draft is most likely option, though that might led to domestic unrest ? But seems to me he has the russian population very much under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I agree, yet i can't see how any of those 3 choices leave him in situ as leader.

And even if they do draft citizens is there sufficient hardware to maintain a war (which it will officially then be for Russia).

No matter how you spin it all are admissions of defeat.

Saw this picture at the beginning of the War. Would love a high-quality print of it for the wall.

"Say the special military operation is not going at all well without saying it's not going at all well."

(Putin introduces a draft for all able-bodied men)

"Nice"

Anyway, Russia's quite a repressed nation as far as its internal politics goes and just because you don't see a lot of protest in the country doesn't mean there isn't discontent. The apparent assassination of Darya Dugina (or rather the attempted one on her father) and this year's spate of mystery fires and explosions throughout Russia would suggest that there is considerable tumult underneath the cool exterior Russians like to portray, and when dams fully break it is sudden and violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,497 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What will he draft. This is not WW1 where after 3-4 weeks basic training you can shove a lad into a trench. This war is all about technology. He is running out of everything tanks, aircraft, artillery, munitions etc.

I said it before it's the Zulus against the British army

Slava Ukrainii

Pretty much this. No matter how many Helmets you fill for the fight, if the best you can field is only slightly more advanced than (poorly maintained) WWII tech they’ve little better off than before. Especially with the stupidity in command of their forces still in place.

I feel that a “Draft” of sorts has been going on for a while with the Russians doing their best to entrap young men from Far-East Russia into joining. Pretty much using any trick they have to force people in without actually calling it a draft.

All I think an official Draft would achieve is adding young Muscovites to the War…which my gut tells me won’t be much help to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

I think.your given Putin credit for too much intelligence and regard for his Canon fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Secondly, it's almost unbelievable that Putin thought he could start a war in 21st century Europe and face anything but a vociferous response from virtually every Western nation. How could it turn into anything other than a massive proxy war? He possibly could have pursued a lightning invasion of Ukraine in 2014, back before the country had received large amounts of Western military aid and training, but for some reason decided to wait until after Ukraine had got all that and continues to get it. To paraphrase Darth Putin - he remains a master strategist.

He has an obsession with the notion of the greater Russia, Peter The Great style, and how all countries around it are inferior and serve that Russia, especially Ukraine. He also has an unwavering belief that the West is weak, corrupt, decadent and would not face him down. Add into the mix an inflexible, useless as we now know and clearly pillaged military force plus his minions telling him what he wanted to hide that and he's been onto a loser since Day 1. The surprise is that Ukraine unexpectedly turned out to be the one to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Putin is not feeling too secure at the moment

Moscow center blocked off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yesterday was city day celebration. Not sure I'd read anything into it.

All Eyes On Rafah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement