Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Stage 20: Moralzarzal to Puerto de Navacerrada (181km)

Options
  • 10-09-2022 11:59am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The last stage of la Vuelta that matters. 5 climbs but none of them over 6-7% so it's up to Movistar to have a go almost from the beginning and do what Jumbo did to Pogacar. They showed some willingness to have a go yesterday but it was somewhat halfhearted in my opinion and I can't see them risking losing 2nd to win it all. It might come down to another team to explode the race and maybe UAE with it's various sub-teams will be the ones to step up but their aim is more about moving up the pecking order rather than to dislodge Remco. Almeida seems to have hit some form and wants to improve his position and while it benefited Ayuso the other day I'm not so sure that was the point or if it would benefit him again if things go crazy. Do Astana have what it takes to get Lopez onto the podium? Even if they try something it's not likely to hurt the current leader. So no matter who wins the stage I expect to see Evenepoel (look his last name spelled out) in red by the end and into Madrid tomorrow but this is cycling so...

Comments

Moviestar will settle for Mas finishing 2nd on GC it's 680 points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Looks like the break has settled. 2 groups that will probably come together. Gesink with another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Big breakaway group when they come together. Peloton letting them go but no guarantee as it's such a tough stage. Everybody will be tired at the end of this one.

I'd love to see Uran win it, a coupe of riders have taken two stages a couple of days apart in this Vuelta so I'm hoping he can do it.

Higuita is a danger man from the breakaway as there's a few sharp downhill runs and he's fearless on them. Rohan Dennis seems to have ridden into firm in the third week so he'll have a chance too if the breakaway stays away.

Obviously Carapaz, Soler, Meintjes and Pinot will be favourites from the breakaway.

I'm not confident in the chances of the breakaway though as I can see Movistar lifting the pace early enough in this stage to test Remco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

2 Movistar lads in there, including Valverde. A swansong for him or is Mas feeling really good??

Would be the most un-Movistar thing ever if they blew the race apart and risk Mas's second place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The Least Unexpected WTF?

• Advertisement

Gap has remained around five minutes between the front of the race and the peloton so I don't think there's any hope for them. You'd expect things to kick off in the peloton on this next climb.

Soler pushing for Ayuso who has to make up 3 mins to leapfrog Mas while also dropping Almeida is gas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Soler & Mas arguing... 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well thats that for the GC. Just stay on the bike and it's won.

There we go Remco wins GC, looks like I've a hat to eat for my tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Another great win for Carapaz... some signing for EF Education.

Chapeau to Remco, he fully deserved the overall win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭G1032

I lost all interest in this after puncture gate. Disgusted that Remco won. He never had a puncture that day. Pulled a fast one.

And even if he did have one he said himself he got it 5km out and waited until the 3km zone to flag it (or the 2.4km zone after Rog attacked). He didn't get the phantom puncture within the 3km zone so even if there was a puncture I don't see how he was allowed use that 3km rule. Some funny puncture that also allowed him ride 2.5km on a flat.

You can't crash 3.1km out and walk the bike into the 3km zone and say "I crashed in the 3km zone". So even if we pretend for a minute he did actually have a puncture at 5km, why was he allowed ride into the 2.4 mark to take advantage of the 3km rule? The whole thing stinks.

I don't think he's a deserving winner because imo he cheated that day with the puncture. Such a shame Rog crashed out. Would have loved to see him beat Remco after that stunt was pulled.

There was a photo which showed he had a puncture. There's nothing to say he can't ride on with a slow puncture and then decide that it's too bad to continue.

I'm sure his team told him what to do so it's unfair to blame Evenepoel.

Only Roglic had any chance of beating him but he crashed out so Remco is a deserving winner.

I haven't seen this photo. Have you a link or can you post it?

Where is the puncture? Front or back? I cannot tell the difference between the two.

I can't find the video I seen the other day but this one shows its soft imo. Watch when he lifts the bike and sets it down again. The tyre is clearly soft from my viewing if it.

Weird sprint for the final stage, Lead-out man Molano ends up winning ahead of Pedersen and his sprinter Ackermann

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I heard that the race commissar is required to check the bike to confirm on all mechanicals in last 3k also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

The 2 lads nearly had it only caught at the 1km mark.

Loved the comment from Kelly in the little discussion about Remcos fiance.

Carlton- is that Remcos fiance

Robbie- yeah that's his fiance

Kelly - I hope it is

Ok. I don't see it as soft but I accept there are differing opinions on this. We're never going to know for 100% sure. I just personally think the whole incident stinks.

• Advertisement

No doubt he is but the bike went straight back up on the car. Commissaire didn't see it there and then.

Advertisement