Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

The issue being that the All Ireland club champions have one certain starter on the Waterford team.their beaten opponents had about 5 on the Kilkenny team..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Giving a storm tomorrow

Wouldn't be surprised the senior final is postponed to next weekend, I know the football championship is on but they still have plenty of time before the Munster Championships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Philip and SOK had a few more years in them. No doubt the drive to win an AI with Ballygunner influenced their decision to hang up the co jersey early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Phillip gave ten years with Waterford and had a couple of bad leg breaks. There’s only so much hurling lads can give at that level and throw in the expectation put on those lads to produce in Ballygunner, which by all accounts is a county level set up, and you find yourself burned out very quickly.

I agree on Stephen O’Keeffe, absolutely he offered a few more years with Waterford but again, he’s the main man with Ballygunner and was on the road a long time with Waterford. Very hard to criticise anyone for hanging it up with the county, they’ve all spoken about the demands it brings.

On today’s game, I’ve heard people say the weather will be a great leveller for Mt. Sion. I can’t see it personally. They’re not a good team and take Gleeson out of it and they’re probably a very average team. Ballygunner are well used to playing in poor conditions with soft pitches, they’ve had plenty of practice in the autumn/winter the last few years. I can’t see anything other than another comfortable Ballygunner win by maybe 8 or 9 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Honestly can’t believe they would consider going ahead with county final in that weather .It’s not like they are under pressure to get it done in mid September.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Hard to see the game going ahead , torrential rain at the moment and due to get heavier over next few hours I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I hope they call it soon so people traveling from outside the city know before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

the fact they’re making u13s play their co finals in this rain has me convinced that the senior game will go ahead.

madness

Post edited by Gavlor on

• Advertisement

Not the greatest match

Ballygunner seem comfortable enough with a few scoring chances wasted by both sides. If only Soky would have a change of heart and come back to the Waterford camp (the ship has sailed sadly)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Senior Final a bit of a wash out. Poor penalty from Aussie, good height for a goalie to save it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Mount Sion are a disgrace. They’ve no interest in trying to hurl here.

O'Keeffe is some goalie, really excellent. That's three top class saves now. Stuff like that wins you matches, especially on a dreadful day like today, when goals really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is Austin Gleeson after packing on a few pounds extra? (I don't mean bulking up)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

was thinking the same

You're well named, commenting on that subject LOL

Username checks out

Agreed. It's such an underappreciated position at times really by media etc. Usually, post-match numbers would includes scores from shots attempted

Generally they don't break them down in depth other than 'wides' as usual

A Goalkeeper that is a top-class shot-stopper is such a good wildcard to have

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

In my case Bellius Maximus would be more accurate

• Advertisement

Didn't Billy O Keefe not play Intermediate the other night ?

Are you allowed a certain number players to move between squads ?

All over now

Bit of class showing now from BG

Haha of course they gave him MOTM

Fair play to TG4. Usually they’d default to the top scorer or the Intercounty Player(s)

Hard to see Ballygunner not getting the 10 in a row esp with the strength in depth they have at all levels. The sad reality is players like Aussie, Jack Fagan, Jamie Barron among others might never get a county senior club medal. Hopefully this new Premier Intermediate will improve things

Wasn't a classic county final by any means and the weather definitely killed the game

Aussie looked devastated and you'd have to worry is the love of the game soon gone for him. Let's hope Davy can get him back to his best

Ballygunner not out again for another 8 weeks, they will no doubt give it there to retain the Munster and All Ireland honours. To get back to Croke Park it's the Tipp, Limerick, Cork or Clare champs and then the Leinster winners in the AI semi finals. Very tough route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Another great win for the gunners. Mount Sion played really well in patches and worked so hard. Their full back line were immense and out first, time and time again, demonstrating great first touch. Surely caught Davy’s eye. The midget was class and gave it all. How close would it have been if Austin had hit a low penalty to let it skid off the surface and then tapped over the late first half free? Not his day overall but he did score a magical second half point and made a great defensive block.

What can you say about the Gunners? Some team and even when it’s not going well, they find a way. Billy O’Keefe was one of their best players last year and not starting now. That says it all about their panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Strange comment. Thought they played ok but weren't good enough especially when they had scoring chances. You seem to have a strong dislike for mount sion judging by your last few posts.

Advertisement