Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Yes plenty of genuine refugees, good luck to them abd good luck to the Ukranian army

We can take in some for sure..(50k plus now.) but

a)I dont agree with taking them in from third countries now . Stop that.

b ) they should NOT be getting more welfare than other asylum seekers . They should never get more welfare than residents who paid into the system. Thats discrimination against other genuine refugees. And its very costly, taxpayers are milked to death already.

c) its really stupid not to have a limit and controls, dumb as #$%@

d) ask them to organise their own self help , teachers, schools and medical services un Ukranian. Ukraine is not a third world country. If they are temporary why are they not continuing their schooling in the Ukranian system? (not saying to block their access to schoola but they clearly want to stick around a long time as vast majority sticking their kids into local schools)

e) If they are temporary why give them third level education? Thats expensive and lots of other asylum seekers abd foreigners and Irish dont get that!

The fact is a large number are going to be economic migrants and acting as such. If they are economic migrants I dont want to be paying for them. Get off social welfare, get taxpaying, find a place to live, and wish you the best of success. I dont like hybrid paying all their costs and them working and not paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How many have you spoken to or engaged with ? I have met quite a few and am hosting a family . Once they know you they all have beautiful smiles and if you took the time to listen are interesting and engaging . I had a lovely conversation last week about how they grow grapes and make wine etc . How could you know they have no personality by looking at them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anyway, judging by this thread just have your cash ready and the world is your oyster in that sense.

You mean judging by the unfounded idle gossip you have posted on this thread?

You could be talking to people until the cows come home but they don't logically understand how this huge influx of people will impact Ireland in the short, medium and long term.

I Guarantee that people who said they support large groups of refugees are also paying €250+ to rent a bedroom in a shared house!

I was speaking to a family member who was stressing about paying rent and bills and never affording her own home but in the same breath, was supporting an uncapped amount of refugees in the country!

This is not America where we have large swathes of prairie land that was never inhabited. We are far from the 1st settlers territory.

A returned smile at the school gate costs nothing.

There are also many interesting and engaging Irish people who need help with accommodation, paying their bills, affording food and their basic rights too. This is always what I stood for.

• Advertisement

Ah I see that says a lot . You need to understand different cultures and not all smile at strangers . I lived in a large German city and had to learn how they engage . Certainly they wouldnt smile at a stranger or indeed be aware of that kind of engagement . Cultures differ and that is what we all need to understand . We have a very large family circle , I counted 8 non Irish married into the family . Each one of them beautiful people and I am so glad we have that diversity and can learn from them and we from them . Would they be someone you would help or do they have to be born and raised here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

That says NOTHING about her. PS its true Eastern Europeans generally struggle with smiling. Just goes with the territory over there. Irish people are extremely good communicators and outgoing compared to most of the world, just something I noticed from my extensive travels.

Irish people are great and have a made a great country (notwithstanding a few giants speed bumps here, there and everywhere).

Without Irish people there wouldn't be a hundred thousand welcomes would there?

There wouldn't be a prosperous democratic free country attractive to others to come to.

You think Ukraine would take in a million Irish if we had a war? And be so generous?

Ya really think so?

We should look after our own first. We have huge issues here, many can't find anywhere to live.

ABSOLUTELY no apologies for that...This from somebody with a huge amount of diversity in our family.

Of course we can, we all learn from each other.

However, that is not what I have an issue with...it's the strain on our economy, services, infrastructure, prices shooting up, the corruption, back handed payments, favourtism, displacement of students and people waiting on housing lists to bump Ukrainians up the list, inflated social welfare payments in cost of living crisis, ETC ETC ETC.

Also, I don't understand peope who live in cities and towns who want to all of a sudden house Ukrainians when we had such an accommodation crisis for Irish people and students here already. Weird way to think.

Anyhoo...I want to enjoy my Sunday with my precious family whose future in this country, I worry about morning, noon and night 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

The key to your post being, you lived in a German City and had to adapt to their ways. The refugees have come to Ireland, the onus is on them to adapt to our ways.

I was referring to your issue with Ukrainians being cold and no personality .I am trying to open your eyes to the fact that you may well be wrong on that fact . The rest is a whole differnt matter .But I will try to explain a little part of it . We have a vacant house and no interest in have tenants in it ,We are not interested in being landlords and all that entails .We had the opportunity to give shelter to a family from a war zone who fled from their home in a hurry . If you house refugees you sign a form to say they are not tenants and as such have no rights and they sign it too . If have delayed selling it for a few months to give them a chance and we can then decide on our next step . House prices and rising to we took this path knowing we could delay selling it .

Despite all this I agree with you on the strain , they have to put a cap on numbers and reduce the supports or we will be overwhelmed very soon .I also think that those getting three meals and shelter and no bills to pay should not be getting anything like €203 a week

• Advertisement

I did indeed but had to learn their ways first .For example they shake hands every time they meet you and I had to learn this ! I found it odd but then soon learned it

I have a few more minutes as I can multi task but an advertisement for a TV show on RTE called Broke came up on my news feed there. It's on tomorrow and it's about a lovely lovely couple in Killybegs who had to close down their restaurant and food truck because of the absolute ridiculous rising cost of running a business. Naturally they're heart broken.

However, up the road there are hundreds of refugees being housed in hotels with full bed and board and €200+ spending money. I passed by a few out drinking cans at the picnic benches in the middle of the town one day. It made me very mad.

This is the type of unbelievable injustice I throughly disagree with.

Housing refugees instead of tourists also took away from their business!

I was in Killybegs during the week for a 2 day break in the NW. The town is dead. There seems to be no soul to it. Meanwhile I was out walking around and saw the Ukrainian settlement at the hotel and the outdoor drinking. Likewise in Glencolmbcille, Ukrainians and other nationalities everywhere. There are far more foreign faces in rural Ireland than ever before and far fewer local Irish. Tourism must be taking a huge hit. If tourists are coming I think from now on they will stay in Airbnb and bring their own food and eat there, rather than going into towns that have changed so drastically.

I love Donegal,I have a sister living there 30 years, and I've gone there every year many times since I was a kid, but its terribly sad to see what is happening. One of my daughter is living in Cahirciveen and the same is happening there. Rural Ireland is taking the brunt of all this, not Malahide, Blackrock, Glenageary, Dalkey, Dunlaoghaire , where most of our Ministers live. Rural Ireland needs to stand up and demand a stop to this influx! I feel terribly sad about Ireland and its future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Here we go again with the Ukrainian-bashing. Ye've just succeeded in speculating that none of those involved have good English (how **** ironic is that?! 🤣), that they will lie about their qualifications, etc. And clearly from a position of absolute ignorance about how the Medical Council works, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Likewise in Glencolmbcille, Ukrainians and other nationalities everywhere.

Wow. I did 2 weeks in Glen last summer, and it's honestly probably my favorite little place in Ireland. It's easily one of the most beautiful yet underrated areas in the whole nation. Back then I'd have described it as one of the most native places in the country, as it was almost 100% locals when I was there. It was almost like stepping into the past, and I don't say that in a negative sense, purely in the positive. It is/was the kind of place where you could lose your wallet and be you'd be nearly guaranteed to get it back eventually. It is/was probably one of the safest and friendliest places in the country.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The fact is you're just speculating. In shock news. And if they're working (and around 1 in 4 are), their SW benefits start to reduce, and they pay tax.

Wow. **** those Native Americans, yeah? Wandering on our prairies, breathing our oxygen!

Sorry, you're absolute right... I should have acknowledged these amazingly resourceful people.

It's far from another country meeting all of their physiological needs that they were reared!!!

I have said many times that we have evolved far too much as a species and that is why our planet is destroyed.

Tell us you don't know how regulated professions work, without telling us that you don't know how regulated professions work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

60+ tonnes of letters and parcels a month are being sent to Ukraine from Ireland as people show ”love and comfort” to those affected by Russia’s invasion. At times up to 9,000 support packages have been processed and sent from the GPO in Dublin to Ukraine — and all for free.

• Advertisement

When the refugees do return home and I hope that it’ll be sooner rather than later, will our own homeless be happy to move into the newly vacated properties? Old convents with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities?

I think that they’re reluctant to adapt as they are hoping to return to Ukraine before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

This thread was mentioned over at another, semi-related one. I popped over to see what all the fuss is about.

Hmm.

To quote another poster..

"That is the most toxic thread on this entire site. Populated by a small number of posters, who seem to post exclusively there and try to outdo each other with hearsay and anecdotes, painting Ukrainians refugees in a bad light. It's absolute cancer."

He/she is not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Vis-à-vis the tonal quality of the collective consciousness that's apparent here, I can't help wondering what posters' (correct placement) positions may be, regarding non-local entanglement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Lol. You do realise that your lingual eloquence is misplaced and incomprehensible to many of the contributers on this particular thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated, and may I take the opportunity to assure you that the sentiment is reciprocated.

I must admit though, to being the benificiary of a quite serendipitous result, in choosing a particular (wow, I've done it again) concept that encompassed the term, "non-local". I honestly only became cognisant of it's dual meaning in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i never said that ‘none’ have fluency, but sure continue making stuff it really makes you sound credible btw ;) the fact is..English fluency is generally not too prevalent in the Ukraine so I’m not speculating about anything. They would need absolute fluency, not ‘ a good working knowledge of, it’s medicine. Not roofing. They will be dealing with English speaking colleagues, English speaking patients and their families… it’s a technical job whereby a misspoken word or confusion regarding terminology could have seriously negative consequences.

im very aware of the role of the medical council. Thankfully, ;)

English fluency is apparently not very common on this thread, either, with posters from the Ireland. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am the same & I agree. Maybe we could keep the Ukrainians & deport the moaners ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah, you see, the take em all in brigade are more intelligent than those who question any of this madness. They have all the answers to those dumb posters questions - such as where'll they all stay? School places? Local gp overwhelmed? Background checks? etc, etc.

They just aren't willing to share those answers with the peasants, so it'll ' be grand ' will have to do. If that doesn't quell the peasants call them toxic, cancerous etc.

It don't work no more green pilot, paddy wants answers. So tip back to you're side thread if you ain't got any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement