Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

they are forgetting. pointed it out a few times. by using our batteries we get paid twice. sorry to rub it in folks

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@bullit_dodger - "in theory you could charge up at 8c and dump into the grid at 14c. Make yourself a few quid a month."

with 20kWh usable, you would make 365 * 20 * 0.14 * 80% efficiency and it would cost you 365 * 20 * 0.08, so about €230 net profit per year, before tax. Producing just to export is more lucrative. If you have a 6kwp south facing system in a good area of Ireland, you'd make about 6000 * .14 * 95% efficiency = €800 per year

I intend to make the maximum tax free sum from exporting as soon as I am forced to have a smart meter. And more if I can amortise PV assets and deduct this cost from my revenue 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

They must do them once a week, as I got the email an hour ago two DrPhil. :-) and I signed up the same day as you.

I got my final SSE bill a couple of days ago, including the €50 contract break fee. Glad I switched. I will enjoy the guts of 10MWh of 7.9c night rate over the next year while hopefully keeping the high day rate limited to 2-3MWh and deducting the deemed export pay back from that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

even after their price hike? So its a fixed price contract?

• Advertisement

Very true. Previously I was answering more a specific question about why wouldn't you dump your battery onto the grid from energy that you filled from the sun the day before. My thinking was the same as you......why fill the battery to dump it the next day, you'd be better off to just export it directly. If you have say 60% left at 9am, I wouldn't dump that. I'd let the sun fill it up and then export the surplus.

In summer when you get a couple of cracking days with 30-40kwh, if during the mornings there's loads of battery left, why not dump it all onto the grid that night?

In theory I could do that today, battery at 80% right now and tomorrow estimate is 34kwh (for now) but on a d/n and I had the smart meter thrown out so makes no sense for me

Doesn't make sense to incur the losses today for filling the battery tomorrow, when you could leave it alone and export more tomorrow. You with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

When did you sign up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I signed up on the 30th.

They adjusted the discount down from 31% to 25% a few days later, and then down to 15% another few days after that.

Even with the reduction in the discount they're still probably the best around.

I signed up on the 31st, have my accpint detauls ajd stuff but cant see how i check my rates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

So how's this work? Backwards spinning meter?

• Advertisement

Easy enough.

Probably got the €200 credit from the government and then over the excellent summer that we had - didn't need to import much (any) from the grid.

My own account was in credit from that in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Speed typing? 😁

You should have gotten an email from Energia with the rates and discount details

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

€200 credit from the government

+€150 credit from the switching

+ Summer of sunshine

- Standing charges, Grrrrrr!!

- ~€20*7 months in unit costs

= ~€30 in credit

The next 5 months will not be quite so pretty, but still not as bad as could have been. FIT will help (~€150) and I'm reading rumors of another government credit...

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

Yea, thick thumbs, sorry!

I got a registration welcome email but nothing in it confirming the rates or even what plan i signed up to!

I signed up on the 31st and thats when i received the email, so before they upped their rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ok like a dope I went for the €250 credit with SSE. Bill one for the first month is € 43.01. Then after the first bill is paid the credit kicks in.€250 will well cover till the new year.

The rates are are crap but it the government kicks in another €200 then happy days.

Sometimes its not always about the rate but the discount. TBF we don't use alot of power.

Anyone know what the cooling off period is when you sign up to a provider ?

We signed up to sse on the 18th of aug, then they increased their rates about a week later, and we switched to energia on the 31st!!!

Im wondering if i can argue my way out of the 50 euro disconnect fee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I’m with SSE and looking to switch. We have 4.18kw system with a 3.5kw battery. Are energia currently the best supplier? We don’t have an electric car but can we still avail of the EV night rate? Also, will SSE still owe us for the feed in units that we have exported to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

anyone clarify what happens when you switch while waiting on FIT. I am with Electric Ireland and they are not to pay FIT until before year end. But I want to switch beginning of next month due to the rises.

I have a smart meter fitted but still am on the old MCC01 connection. I dont want any of these peak tariff rates as these bands will just keep on widening

• Advertisement

Anyone answering is just guessing.

For smart meter I suspect you will get a credit in your account or a check maybe a refund.

For day night meters like me, I suspect it will be lost in the mail...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

waiting on a reply from electric Ireland.

I've asked specific questions but I bet the reply will be general

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm waiting for a deemed figure rather than smart meter, but SSE told me that I'll get a cheque from them for the period February to September. I've since moved to Energia.

See journal article today. Gov has perfet opportunity to penalise all providers for breaking the rules... for not giving FIT at the August deadline. Such a simple small matter and sure a small payment....

Pay a credit based on NC6 form at install.... on monthly basis, averaged over the year. claw back any overage when smart meter brought in and everyone's happy.

Instead every provider has a different rate and a different rule set and different terms.... and no one has any fit money yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Contacted EI before I left them and they confirmed I would still get deemed FIT from Feb until date I left them

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭WattsUp

Remember every time you cycle your battery you are reducing the life span of the battery. I've seen estimates that it costs about 6c/kWh in terms of long term degradation of battery systems so charging at night rate and feeding in during the day you need to account maybe 6c/kWh for costs battery wear out. If night-rate+6c is less than FIT then it's probably still profitable, but not as lucrative when you consider the battery life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The language often used is "should", "planned" etc. not "must". Nothing to be done apart from wait.

I for one do not want a Smart Meter but I'll gladly take Deemed Export. If Energia EV plan come up with that then I'll snap. I've gone to lengths removing WiFi from the house, all my TVs are hard wired as are all PCs and I've hard wired access points in the common rooms. I got rid of my Harvi and hard wired my Zappi. I've no intention of a step back and introducing interference again.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Technically you are correct, every cycle degrades a battery. But your figures are miles off. A LiFePO4 battery has 2000 cycles per the spec sheet. So yes based on that your figures are roughly right. But what most people don't realise is that after this so called "life" the battery still has about 75% capacity and will be usable for several more decades. If you take that into account, we are talking a cost of maybe a few cent per cycled kWh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Also It depends on battery cost too. if you have a 5kwh battery pack that costs say 2.5k or a 20kwh pack costing 2.5k, The "cost" of each cycle would be 4 time less on the 20kwh pack vs the 5kwh pack.

• Advertisement

For me, I've a GivEnergy battery and when you buy one of these, you actually get more than what it specifies. E.g. under the hood my 8.2Kwhr battery is actually a 9.6Kwhr one, or something. They do this, so that they can guarantee that after 10 years, I'll still have the same capacity as the day I bought it. In reality of course, like all Lithium batteries, it will have degraded somewhat, but effectively they've planned for it.

I find the psychology of batteries interesting. You buy a battery, spend money on it, but then you don't want to use it to generate the savings that you bought the battery explicitly for as you are afraid of degradin it? It's actually in direct opposition to the whole point. You bought a battery to cycle it - that's it's only job. After the initial "sunk cost", if you use it 100 times a year, or a 1000, you've still spent the same money. It makes sense to cycle it as much as you can (assuming your generating savings with each cycle of course)

That's how it pays for itself.

Advertisement