Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The difference between a good and bad decision is timing.

As you cans see from the original post, renting was the budget option and buying was the premium. Now rents have quadrupled in comparison. Think about what that will do to the economy in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Yes, that I understand, tho I probably don't even think he need to as far as NZ. There's France, some Spanish regions, and across the Atlantic, but if he knows NZ a bit, it might be comfy if not exactly cheap. A lot of the Anglosphere has the curse of over priced property anyhow. If this country wasn't a tax scam for US and other corpos, it would be as poor as many of its people already are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

Secret Cabinet memo warns home energy bills could treble to €6,000 a year

Varadkar hints at supports as half of households facing into poverty

there is such a thing as a shortage of houses and then there is such a thing as having absolutely no money to buy them once you put food on the table and heat your home ...

looks like many first time buyers will have bigger problems than buying celtic tiger priced houses next year

we will be lucky half the businesses here dont close unless massive government assistance (even more borrowing - to be repaid/taxed later) is provided ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The original post was in reply to a poster commenting on the true cost of renting V owning and he was claiming that the true cost of ownership was no allowed for in buying a house. It showed that even in a case where renting seemed more economical in the longterm it had a much poorer outcome. There is little other inference to be drawn from it.

The rental would have been smaller than the house we build and now live in but was adequate for a young couple. We lived in it while the house was being build.

Now yes there is a rental/house ownership anomaly. However part of this is the reality of REITS and there higher cost. Part is quality of house. The house we rented at that stage was no palace. Over regulation without considering the implications (which is probably preventing houses that would be available for short term let's 1-3 years coming onto the market). Regulation has also increased the risk in the case of damage, repossessing your property or in the case of non payment the length of time this can go on for

So which is out of kilter the cost of a house or the cost of renting one

Slava Ukrainii

Should be no subsidies without quotas and a massive change on energy usage. I would not be a bit surprised if half the energy used is wasted or at least a much cheaper option available.

Note the children getting home quicker walking/cyclling than the parents with 1 child in their suv

• Advertisement

ECB signals further rate hikes as inflation battle intensifies

The ECB is obliged to bring inflation down to around 2% over the medium term, which is normally understood to mean over a two-year horizon.

how are ordinary households and businesses going to cope with multiple interest rate rises on top of ferocious increases to transport fuel, electric, heating and food bills ..

most of the inflation appears to be caused by energy price rises caused by war in ukraine? how are multiple interest rate rises going to help with that problem....

will banks start to cut back on lending next year if they sense many households are struggling to pay essential living bills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭jj880

The only theory I'm holding onto is that if ECB rates are going to spiral then banks fixed rate offerings would already be a lot higher as they usually don't miss out on screwing customers. This implies ECB rates wont go 5+ %. Or at least not for long. It doesn't look good though. Tough times ahead.

jesus looks like ecb are finally not messing around.. very hard to plan budget for buying a house with this going on..

Banks predict another 0.75% rate hike by ECB in October

BofA and Credit Suisse said they had also revised up their calls for a 75 bps ECB rate hike in October versus previous expectations for a 50 bps move.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0909/1321617-banks-predict-another-0-75-rate-hike-by-ecb-in-october/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Not messing around, the only reason their upping rates big time now is because they have their new money printing tool to keep the PIGS bonds in check. So all in all they are printing more money in order to control inflation.

Remains to be seen if it will work or not, if Milton Friedmann was in the ECB now he would **** himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

^^ Foreclosures and an oversupply/glut of housing stock will possibly not be a factor in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Theres enough homebuyers around who are still cashed up, or public sector workers who just got a payrise.

All sorts of reasons people are chasing property higher, lifestyle changes, growing family,downsizing, splitting up etc.

Ive a property to sell shortly in South Dublin, not going to take less than 600K.

I would be like negotiating with a brick wall, not going to lower my price.

Im either insane, or I dont need the money... probably both.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

If I were you, I would hold off on putting the property in the market. People seem to be panic selling (based on the increase in homes being up for sale), buying into the propaganda that prices will fall.

A house in Inchicore recently sold for over 700K, if I were you I would not ask anything less than 800K for south Dublin. Prices are only going up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Inchicore, it will always be working / welfare class.

I dont see it being a place to buy or invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

I wouldnt live there.

There are currently 3 properties listed over 500k in Inchicore on Daft.ie.

There are 128 properties listed under 500k in Inchicore on Daft.ie.

Homebuyer’s remorse: most people who bought a house recently have regrets

Buyers are most remorseful about overpaying for a property, which 30% of Americans say they did. The median amount buyers paid over the original asking price on their new homes was $65,000, according to the survey. 

coming to dublin soon 😆

i think that’s valid if you are moving from your owned home to another owned home. Less so if you’re renting and blowing €24k per year, maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Is there a source for the 60% getting support. Was looking around and couldn't find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

The figure is 54% of renters is receiving some sort of rental assistance from the local council or government. 60% is what we were saying could happen by the end of the year or some time next year.

But those that include those in LA and housing association houses or is it 54% in the private rental sector

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

One area I'm looking in was up to this year selling a three bed house at an average of 400-430k depending on condition of the house on the property price register.

In the last couple of months the base price has increased to 440-450k and one property went for over 520k.

Bidding wars are insane right now, estate agents are of course driving it, but people need to take responsibility for what they're paying as well. It's hard to imagine that those properties will be worth that amount five years down the line as well as the fact that a large number of people I'm seeing at viewings are being blown out of the water and all vendors in the area are now expecting the same type of money for their properties.

It's getting to a point where it's almost impossible to buy anything, there would have to be a long cooling down period to temper vendor expectations from where it is now, you'd have to see properties sitting on the market for extended periods before price drops are entertained.

I'd imagine there will be a few people regretting what they've paid once they're in their properties paying massive mortgages.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I think it's really variable. I viewed one house yesterday - beautiful condition, really well renovated, B-rating for efficiency. Loads of people at the viewing and I expect it to go well over asking (and well past my budget.) There's another house I viewed, quite nearby, been up for a while, not in bad condition but E-rated and needs some work, and so far I'm the only bidder on it.

I'm glad we acknowledge that for renting and purchasing, it was easier in the past, tough but very much achievable.

I can't argue too much against your renting regulation argument. It has encouraged vacancy and supply anomalies.

Reits are only an issue in Dublin and maybe Cork but the rental crisis is now nationwide.

I would question reits higher cost as standards were reduced to facilitate them in increasing supply. In addition most of their acquisitions were done in a distressed market, so I would argue the opposite. They also have the cherry on top of paying close to 0 tax and the icing of long term leasing to the state

We have created a monster that feeds on our young no matter what way you dress it up

Many of my foreign colleagues are living in dread of getting notice in their rentals. They have made plans to leave in such a scenario.

My neighbour just got his notice, a beacon in the community, a landlords dream, Mr fix it. I'd expect him and his family to leave, all educated here and the eldest in third level. We are scrambling to find something for them {if you know of anything, can you pm me, he's a couple of weeks into 3 month notice, mid west)

Now think of the cost both in direct and indirect costs of that 1 decision and multiply it throughout the country.

The cost is stated at 0.5 billion so its just private rental. We were paying well over 1 billion in total housing supports before the war with it expected to reach 2 billion very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

You'd really wonder how all this is gonna play out over the next 6-12 months. Especially given the following:

On the latter, I heard from a risk assessor in one of the banks that they are expecting a significant amount of mortgage defaults "soon". This was a number of months back. You'd have to reckon that those on trackers and variable rates will be the worst hit. Tracker holders will have gotten used to a lifestyle that likely won't be able to continue in an era of higher rates and even higher day to day costs.

But folk coming off fixed rates in the next 6-12 months will also be in for a shock when their new, potentially almost double, interest rate comes into effect. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm noticing massively fewer folk at open viewings now, at least when it comes to fixer uppers. Last month there's been me and a couple of others at them whereas a while back they'd be very busy. Absolutely noone showing any interest either and seemingly being much more discerning. To be expected given everything. These are highly popular/desirable areas of Dublin as well.

The outlier has been the one turn key property I viewed on the south side. In a less desirable area and initially priced competitively given it had a lovely extension and generous garden. But now bid up to an absurd price given the location (around 100-150k over similar properties without extension, a couple of years ago the price difference would be 200k or more). The thing is, the house is nice inside but you do have to leave it from time to time :D and the area is rough. At its price now you'd get a habitable fixer upper in a good suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Are evictions still very low?

For people who decide to stop paying their mortgage, will this affect their lives in any way?

Very few on variable rates. Most will have fixed in the last 3-6 months. Anybody on a tracker has 14-20 years of there mortgage's paid off.

People coming off fixed rates may have refixed, anyway fixed did not necessarily follow ECB rate % for %.

Slava Ukrainii

Jim powers assessment is interesting appears to suggest that the covid bounce needs to be erased and prices and rents are crazy

“Irish residential property prices and rents are at obscene levels. Policymakers are either unwilling to or incapable of addressing the problem. Meanwhile, house prices continue to rise......

If prices continue to rise, it will move the market into a very dangerous situation, which could ultimately result in a more sharp correction. Personally, I would welcome a 30pc correction, but I don’t see it happening

Separately, the years have been kind to Constantin Gurdgiev

• Advertisement

That assumes of course that in 12 months time the ECB is not signalling aggressively cutting rates back toward zero to try to dig us out of a deep recession. You’re right I probably wouldn’t want to be fixing within the next 12 months, but after that I think that rates will be falling fast

Advertisement