Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'd imagine they're near zero. But mortgage defaults means bad credit, which can make things for your future self more difficult.

Time will tell I suppose. I don't share your optimism, but that's the pessimist in me :D

Yep, that's the expectation for the Fed anyway. Would reckon the same will happen in EU, ie aggressive rate rises followed by cuts. But again, who knows. Signs of recession here with increase in household saving vs spending. Such sentiment plays a large role in the bringing on of recession.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/2022/09/09/irish-households-prepare-for-financial-squeeze-by-saving-more/

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Many have been expecting the Fed to being the pivot in early '23. That now looks like a pipe dream. Rates are going to go (and stay) higher (for longer) than most expected. The shills pushing for a return to the ZIRP environment are looking a tad exposed these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Many people on this thread, especially @awec , the guy who keeps spreading bad information really need to read this line from the article a few times.

"The idea that house prices are determined by supply and demand is an infantile view of how the market works."

I said same thing and was called deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The theory about property prices growing because people's salaries increase is a bit suspect also.

The correlation between property prices and wages broke a long time ago.

Alot of theory testing in short to medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

There's 100 buyers available to buy one of 200 houses. This is a seller's market is what you're implying.

Or else, there's 100 buyers available to buy 50 houses. They try and outbid each other in order to secure one of the 50 houses and selling prices are obviously based on what they can afford to pay. We add into this mix that the hundred buyers get a salary increase...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

You would be surprised how many wouldn't have fixed their interest rates or wouldn't even know that they could do it. The type that would whinge the minute their monthly payment increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

The columnist answers the question.

That’s what is hiking prices in Ireland — not supply and demand. You could cover all your land in concrete and prices will still rise, so long as mainly foreign capital is free to invest in finite Irish assets.

She's saying stop the zero taxation of international REITs or simply prohibit them from operating in Ireland to fix the market.

She then goes on to say it's likely the plates stop spinning. Might be worth reading the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

One of the “infants” in the same article does seem to link supply/demand to property price. Of course price is multi factorial.

"But I don’t believe it is comparable to 2008, as credit flows and big government spending cuts will not be part of it. If there is a very large shock to property demand, then prices could fall. However, with very large supply shortages, it is highly unlikely that declines will be significant or prolonged.”

• Advertisement

Unfortunately many "experts" are no wiser than infants.

And recognised experts don’t always agree. The first economist in that article states it is infantile to link property price with demand/supply, the second economist does just that. So I suppose it could be considered equally infantile to believe one expert, whilst discounting the other based on which one supports the narrative you want to push.

If you keep saying something for long enough, some day you might be right, then you can tell everyone that your prediction was right all along.

We add into this mix that the hundred buyers get a salary increase...

If you work for a private company or a MNC and didn't get a salary increase this year, you almost likely have missed the boat for any big salary increase.

This is the time of the year that most companies budget for the next fiscal year, and we are in a totally different place compared to this time last year - even with covid. Most companies will be very conservative with their budgeting for sure.

Ann Pettifor did predict the 2008 crash .... I think that earns more credibility. Regardless, I already put my money where my mouth is.

Some interesting questions for you to ponder....

Does low housing supply result in higher prices? Or does higher prices result in low housing supply?, how much does central bank and government policy affect house prices?

Ill let you answer and tell you if you are right.

My answer to all three, none in isolation lead to price changes, as I said earlier, market change is multi factorial.

There are many economists predicting a crash, how could they not? But how many are certain of when it will be/how bad it will be/how long it will last? None I would suspect.

As that article makes clear, the same conditions do not exist today as did in 2008, so Ms Pettifor is hedging her bets and speaking in generalities. Why? Because every crash is different.

I don’t need you to tell me if I am right, no one, not even you has the answer. You have just read 3 economists give differing opinions in one article. It takes a particular type of arrogance to believe you are right on a subject with so many variables.

You are missing the point. I am not saying that I know prices are going to go down.

I am saying supply side is not the driving factor for last few years price rises, its policy. The powers that be have indicated that they are shifting policy, you would be a fool not to pay heed. Until they indicate otherwise, I remain convinced prices will drop and keep dropping..

Again, you are not acknowledging that supply and demand are TWO of the factors. Is shifting Government/CB policy alone going to increase/decrease house prices? Only if you think that there aren’t people out there to buy houses, or that the number of houses available isn’t a consideration. These factors all play a part in the property market, which one is more important may vary at times. But no one, not you, not the three economists have a definitive answer, therefore they are just opinions rather than fact.

You are no more right than anyone else predicting boom or bust until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

She and mcsean go on to claim supply and demand has nothing to do with house prices and then go on to describe the issue as REITS ?....lol

"The idea that house prices are determined by supply and demand is an infantile view of how the market works. Asset prices in Ireland are very high, because there is a wall of money looking for somewhere safe to land"

First a ridiculous statement with the first sentence, and then completely contradicts it in the second sentence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zebedy45

Wondering about changes that could bring down prices in the near future such as...

If HTB is not extended beyond 2022. Which will be announced with the budget in a couple of weeks.

Changes to the mortgage lending rules by the CBI e.g. Larger deposit requirement or the 3.5 multiple of salary is reduced.. Prudence due to cost of living. I believe the CBI carry out a review each year.

Banks lending less... My exemption was taken away a few months back due to stricter lending rules from my bank

The rising interest rates add a huge cost to a mortgage but I feel people overlook this as as they look at the monthly payments, which don't seem that significant when it is a €50-100 increase per month. But I think roughly for a couple borrowing 350k an extra 1% can add 50k to the cost of credit. Unlikely but this would be good if reflected in prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The wall of money is fuelling multiple asset price bubbles

The author states the investors are looking for a safe place to land and perceives property to be one of those safe places

The author disagrees with the investors

For a woman that in 2006 wrote "The coming first world debt crisis" I'm sure her opinion would be valued by many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I am not sure if I am misreading the thread but people don't seem to be putting two and two together.

The State is subsidising half the rental market - the rental market is the reason our whole property market, both buying and renting, is frothy. This is costing the State a huge amount of money and there is little monetary return from this cost to the State. With the likely cost of dealing with the energy crisis this winter, it is difficult to see how the State can continue to prop up the private rental (and by extension the whole property) market. Therefore, it is almost inevitable that the State will have to cut its cloth and the low hanging fruit is almost certainly the landlord subsidies in the rental market that it pays, which will of course, in conjunction with interest rates rising, cause quite a dent in the Irish property market.

Back to 2017 or back to 2014 levels is what I am wondering.

Post edited by jimmybobbyschweiz on

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

In 10 years the majority of the electorate could be renters; this will have material consequences to house prices as they will vote according to their own situation. Past performance is definitely not a guide to future performance when it comes to the property market.

Post edited by jimmybobbyschweiz on

C’mon, an economist could write a book like that every year, eventually they would be right. The difference is that fewer saw it or expected in 2006, given what is going on at the moment, few economists are not predicting some kind of crisis. You have some predicting Armageddon, others predicting a correction in markets which may be mild and short lived, some will be door stops in future, others will be looked on as works of genius, for now, no one knows. What we all know though, is that the same conditions do not exist today because of what was learned in the last crash. So please, stop thinking that you are/she is the all seeing prophet. Property prices may well decrease as a result of local/global events, but when it does, there is no guarantee that everyone will be able to afford what they want, high income buyers will be able to buy for less, and if there is a recession, it’s the lower income earners who may well be most susceptible to job losses and downward pressure on wages. Will that make buying easier even if prices fall and interest rates rise? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

My understanding which may be wrong is that she was referring to supply and demand in the sense that supply is houses and demand is people in Ireland wanting to live in them.

She is saying investors are buying simply as a store of value, passive income or perhaps the passport purchase program.

She calls it foreign money and states if it dries up....

Happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood her argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a limited number of exemptions every year. It's a percentage of total bank lending. It's a kind of ''use it or loose it''. When the bank have used there quota for the year ( it's based on there previous years lending if I remember correctly) then they withdraw the rest of the exemptions. Usually they are used up by mid late summer. Similar happens every year.

Slava Ukrainii

Well let’s not forget that a lot of the spending is thanks to tax receipts from handful of MNC. Most of their revenue is generated in other countries (be it EU or non EU), so we are fairly vulnerable to other economies.

You are correct. The property market is momentum driven. When property prices are rising there is a lot of extra interest from people who dont necessarily need to buy right now. The reverse is also true.

Although there will always be buyers needing to buy due to life circumstances, if the extra buyers are removed from the market, falling prices are only amplified. This is why markets rarely are stagnant, they generally move up or down. Declines are quicker.

Of course prices will always go up over the long term in monetary terms, but prices have gotten way ahead of themselves over the last decade due to easily available credit and excess money in the system. All assets have gone up but all are reverting. We have already seen stock market declines underway, the decline in property has begun in some Countries and will catch up here.

Has credit been easily available over the past 10 yrs? Considering the cost of renting, isn’t it conceivable that the “need” to buy will endure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

She says..."The idea that house prices are determined by supply and demand is an infantile view of how the market works". And then goes on to say that Ireland's high prices are due to REITS - in other words, demand. What difference do sellers care if it's a prospective homebuyer or an REIT, it's all the same demand inflating the prices.

What is the perceived benefit of having REITS competing with prospective homebuyers, it's meant to drive development and construction? Our domestic market isn't enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

An ageing population of house buyers = a need to buy while they can still get a mortgage

Advertisement